Tom
Years ago

How much would an NBL club cost?

How much would be needed to purchase an NBL club outright. Struggling ones would come pretty cheap I would think?

Topic #36843 | Report this topic

KET  
Years ago

99 cents

Reply #523662 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2/6d.

Reply #523663 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

The Hawk's would cost you nothing, but then you would have to find $2m to cover their debts...

Reply #523665 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NO the club is worth nothing. The licence is worth nothing as well. New club, new owners and no debt. Take it or leave it NBL.

Reply #523669 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Based on my experience, the typical Australian approach to valuing a business goes something like this:
3 years ago I sunk $500k into straying up.
For the last 3 years I have lost $100k a year, so that's another $300k.
Plus I deserve to make a profit for all my hard work, so call it $1M.

The team/ franchise/ license has intrinsic value, but given they lose money they have little cash value.
As for what it will cost you to take over a team, that will depend on how much is owed and to whom, and what commitments the NBL is looking for.
For example, the NBL may well be willing to write off debts for past seasons, but not if it is just going to cost them more money. They're more likely to say "pay us for last season, and we'll let you have credit for next season." No point writing off old debt just so a penniless new owner can take over.
So too the existing owner will want something or he might as well not bother selling.
CRUCIAL vendors can also be an issue. If for example money was owned to the venue, and you needed to rent the same venue again.

More to the point though, anybody thinking that their own NBL team would be a cheap buy, has got the wrong end of the stick. Forget what it will cost to buy, and concentrate on what it will cost to run for the next 5 years.

Reply #523703 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

^^^^^^wow!!

Reply #523706 | Report this post

Triton25  
Years ago

Remember Vlahov/Longley paid nothing . Altho I think they inherited some high expenses.. Stokes left them a lot of extras but couldn't stop their demise 5 yrs later. Champagne tastes on a beer budget. Anyone can take over an NBL TEAM if they can show they CAN afford a very expensive hobby...IMO. Tell me any other club but Cats wouldn't do that?

Reply #523940 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

Could an NBL team negotiate for individual TV rights just for their games?

Reply #524122 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:13 am, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754