Anonymous
Years ago

Where did club nicknames originate?

Ok, I'm a bit bored tonight and started thinking about the nicknames of the district clubs. Just wondering about the origins. Most have connections with nba team names - Rockets, Warriors, Flames(Heat), Mavericks, Rockets and common animal names - Tigers, Lions, Panthers. I can understand Sabres (yes I know it's a Sabre tooth tiger) which is original but what's going on with bearcats? I just Googled it and it's hardly the most awe inspiring of animals. They are described as not very nimble and when threatened defecate or urinate on opponents. So for such a historic club how did they get bearcat? Surely the west adelaide weasels or wolverines are better alternatives

Topic #36845 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

west adelaide manbearpigs?

Reply #523725 | Report this post

The Grouse  
Years ago

The Internet. Try it, you might like it.

WESTBEARCATS.NET

... The West Adelaide Basketball Club commenced in name in 1951 as a progression of the Kingston Basketball Club, which was established in 1946. The 'Bearcat' name was taken because of a close association with the University of Cincinnati in the USA. ...

WIKIPEDIA

... The Bearcat became the UC mascot on October 31, 1914 in a football game against the UK Wildcats. The key players in the birth of the Bearcat were a star UC player named Baehr, a creative cheerleader, and a talented cartoonist. During the second half of that hard-fought football game, UC cheerleader Norman "Pat" Lyon, building on the efforts of fullback Leonard K. "Teddy" Baehr, created the chant: "They may be Wildcats, but we have a Baehr-cat on our side." ...

... The crowd took up the cry: "Come on, Baehr-cat!" Cincinnati prevailed, 14-7, and the victory was memorialized in a cartoon published on the front page of the student newspaper, the weekly University News, on November 3. The cartoon, by John "Paddy" Reece, depicted a bedraggled Kentucky Wildcat being chased by a creature labeled "Cincinnati Bear Cat". ...

... The name stuck, but not immediately. Following Teddy Baehr's graduation in 1916, the name dropped out of use, at least in print, for a few years. On November 15, 1919, Cincinnati played at Tennessee. Cincinnati Enquirer writer Jack Ryder's dispatch on the game was the first time that the major media called UC's teams "Bearcats." From then on, the university's teams were regularly called Bearcats. ...

Reply #523732 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Melbourne United watched a soccer game

Reply #523735 | Report this post

Sammy  
Years ago

Gwb that gave me a good laugh.. However I actually am a huge fan of the Melb united name. Outside the box, it's good. Ppl hate change, just the way it is unfortunately

Reply #523744 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melb Untied.

Reply #523753 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Sporting clubs from the West Torrens district are always "The Eagles", just as South Adelaide sporting clubs are "The Panthers" Woodville were the Spartans at one stage and I guess Warriors are Spartans.

I think North Adelaide were "The Roosters" at one stage too.

Reply #523759 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

Melbourne United changed their name so they no longer had to pay back the money they owed the Gaze family. True Story.

Reply #523793 | Report this post

Grovermister  
Years ago

Central Districts lions were formed by the South Gawler Football Club whom had the name the lions...

Reply #524029 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:23 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754