NBLG
Years ago

United name Dean Demopoulos new head coach

Melbourne United Basketball Club have recently announced that they have signed 61 year old Dean Demopoulos to be the new head coach on a two-year deal.

Topic #36846 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who?

Reply #523713 | Report this post

Doug  
Years ago

http://downtownball.net/2015/04/dean-demopoulos-coach-melbourne-united-nbl/

Reply #523714 | Report this post

Deano  
Years ago

Article by Roy Ward SMH on Dean Demopoulos

http://www.smh.com.au/sport

Reply #523715 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

And more here:

Dean Demopoulos named new Melbourne United head coach

Pretty good resume. 18yrs head coach in college plus stints as an assistant in the NBA.

61 years old.

Reply #523723 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great resume but why cant we develop and promote our own coaches...

Reply #523727 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He has only been a head coach for 1 college season and was an assistant for 17. He sounds like a 61 year old assistant coach who United has jumped at because he has NBA experience.

From his wiki - this doesn't impress me "Demopoulos is known as an expert in zone defenses having years of experience with the famed Temple zone defines."

That sounds like boring basketball.

Reply #523728 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

That is my only concern about him - his lack of head coaching experience.

I still think that there are a host of just as good options in Australia. However I think they are also trying to tap into his network.

Reply #523729 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i like the hire, glad that united got someone with experience in nba and college systems even though it may be as an assistant it's better than anything else we have down under. Here is hoping united make the right decisions with their on feild talent now. get a centre who can rebound and play defence and put kickert in the stretch 4 position. and get a decent point guard who can distribute and knock down some jumpers.

Reply #523731 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Even 30 years coaching with a 35 second shot clock gives him nothing exceptional.

Reply #523733 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I find it astounding that people who've never heard of the guy can do a quick Google search and form an opinion that he's not a good hire.

Reply #523739 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How can they overlook Bev

Reply #523740 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Great resume but why cant we develop and promote our own coaches...
We almost always do. Meanwhile, do you want the league rid of imports?

Reply #523745 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So many experts who have so little knowledge other than Google.

Reply #523747 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

I don't see why people are against this. The NBL has been recycling the same 10 or so coaches for a long time now. Nothing wrong with new blood.

Reply #523750 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

People just like to complain for the sake of complaining. Its so odd to even form a negative based opinion of him at this point, accept for the sake of being negative... basketball fans.

Reply #523763 | Report this post

Luke  
Years ago

Sound's like a promising move for United

Reply #523765 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I still can't believe the spectres hired goorjin in 1988. The under 18s coach at the time was ready.

Reply #523767 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Don't care who long he has been head coach or his age, wish him all the best in putting a competitive team on the floor, for the sake of the NBL.

Reply #523769 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

A marketing component to tap into Melbourne's large Greek population?

Reply #523774 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melb Untied.

Reply #523780 | Report this post

Bobo  
Years ago

LC gets to have an opinion? Seriously?

Reply #523783 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I think with any change there is the unknown.

Right now, he is unproven as a head coach. The facts back that up although I believe he should have enough experience to pull through. But that is the obvious weakness in his resume. Calling out the facts.

As for a potential coach from the ranks in Australia, there are some great coaches coming up through state league levels (i.e. SEABL etc) that one would hope would get a chance at some stage in the future. After all, it is not just about building pathways for players, but also coaches (and officials).

Reply #523794 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Paul Woolpert has had NBA asst coaching experience. U all like him?
Sounds like a 'Rod Popp' type who might struggle if anyone has an opinion or answers back. Never lets the players play & has to control every moment.
Expert in zone is like being a barrister - wank career title!!

Reply #523796 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Mike Dunlap V2.0?

Reply #523804 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Murray Arnold

Reply #523805 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rod Popp is still a head coach. How I don't know.

Reply #523807 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

It's not like United has a long history of making good decisions.

I won't write off the guy yet, but this is another odd decision IMO.

Reply #523886 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Interesting selection. Will his vast experience in the NBA system help him more than his lack of head coaching experience will hurt him? Will the new approach he brings offset his lack of knowledge of this competition?

I think he starts behind the eight-ball because the other coaches have such an intimate knowledge of the competition, but that doesn't mean he won't be a good coach. Time will tell.

Reply #524165 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

Why are they against it you say?

Mark Price says Hi........

Reply #524246 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:23 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754