rodney
Years ago

Can a full strength Boomers medal in Rio?

Its possible we will have our strongest ever team with good balance, depths, and stars in all positions.

Can we outplay the powerhouses from the America's and Europe? Will need some luck but i think its our best chance to do so, who agrees?

Bogut and Baynes inside, elite nba centres...gun point guards and variety in mills exum delly...very good wing type players in guys like Broekhoff Goulding.

Perhaps forwards is where we are questionable but solid role playing guys can hopefully fill that void.

How are rosters shaping for our rivals? Better? Worse?

Topic #36851 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

We have a definate chance at a medal

Reply #523821 | Report this post

Bronze  
Years ago

Gold will be impossible, but silver and bronze may be possible.

Reply #523822 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rio team

Dellavedova
Broekhoff
Ingles
Baynes
Bogut

Exum
Mills
Goulding
Newley
Simmons
Motum
Bairstow

I think Baynes can start at the 4 and shift to center when Bogut goes to the bench

Mills imo offers alot of scoring power off the bench and will still play clutch minutes imo.
This will be the first and last major that Simmons comes off the bench.

Reply #523823 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

If Bogut plays, a medal is a distinct possibility.

Reply #523824 | Report this post

Andy  
Years ago

On Paper the Boomers would now have to be close to 2nd if not 2nd best. They should be playing for nothing less than a medal.

Reply #523826 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Canada have more than a full team of NBA guys, not including ex NBA. Second best on paper. Brazil have alot more NBA guys as well. What about Spain?

Reply #523830 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A lot of teams are at a similar level. Over 2 weeks it's a bit of a lottery and often comes down to shooting well in big games.

They should compete for a medal although they could also easily finish 4-10th.

Reply #523832 | Report this post

rodney  
Years ago

People need to remember alot of the euro stars are generally better than an average nba player. Something to keep in mind rather than simply countting the nba players in each team.

Spanish ACB is a legit league and many spanish stars choose to play here as an example over going to America Despite offers.

Reply #523833 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

They definitely can medal. But for that to be possible, we need our absolute best team with all of our main guys involved. We would be in the conversation for sure. But in the end, talent doesn't always mean wins. I bet no one thought Serbia would come second in the World Cup hey? I think we would be one of the 5 teams people talk about when they talk medals at the olympics.

Reply #523835 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Serbia had three nba draftees last yr to add to the lot they have all ready, serbia is a basketball powerhouse

Reply #523840 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Reaching the bronze medal game is not unrealistic if everyone is healthy. It's a nice thought!

Reply #523842 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think so.
4, 5, 6, 7. most likely.

Top 3. Usa, Serbia, Spain. Battle for 4th. Lithuania, Canada, Australia, France.

Reply #523848 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That Spanish team is ageing fast. Calderon and pau are old now , they will be older then. Rubio is alright and Marc gasol offensive weapon. Congolese ring in to help them out. I think Spain will be ultra reliant on some guys being fit , and since thiose guys are 30+ .... I don't think Spain are unbeatable if we come up against them in rio.

Reply #523867 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thoughts on other teams potential rosters?

Usa maybe?
Curry/Irving or Westbrook/Paul
Harden/Thompson
James/durant
Davis/griffin/Aldridge
Cousins/jordan

Canada maybe?
Pangos/Joseph
Stauskas/heslip/baker
Wiggins/?
Thompson/wiltjer/Powell or Bennett
Olynyk/Sacre, Bhullar or bachynscki

France?
Parker/de colo/huertal
Fournier/diot
Batum/kahudi
Diaw/Noah/seraphin, mahinmi or lauvergne
Gobert/ajinca

Reply #523869 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Crazy talent that use lineup^

Reply #523872 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Usa'

Reply #523873 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

To the first Anonymous, we don't know yet which teams will make it into the olympics to know that those teams will be our competition. What we do know, is we have the best chance of almost any team to qualify. It depends what squads turn up in the qualification and whether their NBA guys rest as well.

There are going to be some stacked teams going into the olympics. it is going to be a very high standard competition. But I think we are in the medal conversation. We will need to call on our youth and experience to get it done. We have veterans in their mid 20s, most players are much older before they have the international experience we have. That bodes really well for us.

For us to be genuine.. we need all of our top players in form. We need Exum to become more of a penetrating offensive threat, and we need Bogut.

Reply #523881 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hate the way we select a team to get us into the olympics then its see you later boys, then the name players come back in. To me it is like keep all our big name players wrapt in cotton during the home and away season, then when the finals come oh here come the big name players.

Reply #523900 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2/2
The name Players should be available from the start

Reply #523901 | Report this post

Luke  
Years ago

I can't imagine us coming 1st or 2nd, but 3rd is possible , I can also see us stand a chance against Spain due to their ageing players.

Reply #523920 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

Instead of just counting the number of NBA players and coming up with the assumption that we could medal, how about looking at how many actually start and then make an impact?

I cannot see Bogut & Baynes go from scoring 5-10 a night to 20 points per game, such as the Gasol brothers or Dragic do for example. Match our stats against the French, and I think we'd be way behind.

I'd love to see us medal but I still can't see us higher than 5th behind US, Spain, France & Serbia

Reply #523952 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No - not without an elite level coach

Lemanis couldn't deliver when the pressure was on in the wc

Reply #523962 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Why cant you see those players upping their numbers at the olympics? Baynes did at the worlds.

Reply #523965 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:07 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754