Slammin'08
Years ago

Lane Violation - Free Throw

I just wanted to see if anyone knows the current rule on lane violations on a free throw shot. I always thought it was that any player lined up on the key could not enter the lane until the ball left the shooters hand and any player above the 3 line could not cross the free throw line before the ball hits the rim.

Last week when playing social I was called for a violation for crossing the 3 point line (1 step mind you) before the ball hit the rim which I clarified with the official who said the rule was I couldn't cross the 3 point line until the ball hit the rim. He proceeded to call this several times throughout the night on both teams. The other umpire didn't seem to know what the correct rule was so deferred to the older guy.

Does anyone know the real rule?

Topic #36862 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Is it that those lined up within the arc can enter once the ball has left the shooter's hands, but those outside the arc have to wait for contact with the ring?

Reply #524089 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

43.2.5 Players not in the free-throw rebound places shall remain behind the free-throw line extended and behind the three-point field goal line until the free throw ends.

Reply #524093 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The enforcement of this rule really annoys me. Watching games, you see players of both teams stepping into the key before ball release, must be at least 80% of the time? And no calls.

Reply #524094 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just remember that it is only a violation for the offensive team on the lane line if the shot misses. Hence lots of times the offensive player goes early but it has no relevance because the basket was good

Reply #524096 | Report this post

Slammin'08  
Years ago

I am specifically talking about the players not lined up on the key. As per Anonymous post of Rule 43.2.5 it states players must stay behind the free throw line extended and behind the free throw line until the free throw ends. What counts as the free throw ending though?

Reply #524097 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

31.1.1 A shot for a field goal or a free throw:

• Ends when the ball:
▬ Enters the basket directly from above and remains within or passes through the basket.
▬ No longer has the possibility of entering the basket.
▬ Touches the ring.
▬ Touches the floor.
▬ Becomes dead.

Reply #524100 | Report this post

Woody Venkat  
Years ago

Referee that just moved to London from Sydney and trust me Australia is the only place that place that much credence to the lane violation rule. It is not a big thing for refs in Europe and the USA.

Reply #524142 | Report this post

Slammin'08  
Years ago

It has been around 20 years since I first started playing ball. I watch basketball from NBL to NBA and some euro. I have not once seen a lane violation called on a player beyond the 3 point line. Just seems like this ref had a bee in his bonnet!

Reply #524158 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I feel like Australian officials are hellbent on meticulously enforcing the least important rules of the game of basketball...

Reply #524170 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

It has been around 20 years since I first started playing ball. I watch basketball from NBL to NBA and some euro. I have not once seen a lane violation called on a player beyond the 3 point line. Just seems like this ref had a bee in his bonnet!
I don't believe the rule exists in the NBA, and it didn't exist in FIBA until relatively recently. I still have a rulebook somewhere from back when they first introduced alternating possession (back when it was still a jump ball at the start of the second half), which I checked after being called for a violation from outside the three-point line in a game in 2009, and there was no mention of the rules for those outside the three-point line being any different to the rules for those along the lane. So it came in sometime between 05ish and 09.

Reply #524226 | Report this post

razor  
Years ago

As there's not really much point in crossing the line unless you're trying to be a smart arse, I'd imagine it's a fairly rare occurrence and therefore not often called anywhere.

Reply #524271 | Report this post

:  
Years ago

The other thing is once the shooter has been handed the ball players can't move in or out or change spots on the Key way line up. That is a violation.

Reply #524277 | Report this post

:  
Years ago

And the shooter has 5 secs to shoot once handed the ball

Reply #524278 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any changes to this rule, specifically entering the key from outside the 3pt on a free throw before the ball has hit the ring.

Some teams eg sem phoenix tonight using player outside of key to block our ft shooter.

From what I read the fiba rules seem to be the same as previous. Can't enter until free throw ends.

Reply #834022 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

The issue is not the rule, but that it is not administered consistently. Like 3 sec rule. Charge/block?

And the inconsistence is not just from one ref to the next. It can also be the same ref, calling seeming-inconstantly, but can "justify" both/either call/s.

Reply #834025 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:58 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754