LC
Years ago

Opals squad of 18 named for camp in Gosford

Australian Opals head coach Brendan Joyce has named a squad of 18 for a training camp to be held in Gosford, NSW from 27 April to 2 May in preparing for the FIBA Oceania Olympic qualifiers to be played against New Zealand in August.

The team is headlined by six bronze medalists from the 2014 FIBA World Championships and the inclusion of some outstanding young talent.

Australian Opals Squad

Gosford Training Camp | 27 April to 2 May 2015

1. Rebecca Allen (Melbourne Boomers)
2. Suzy Batkovic (Townsville Fire)
3. Sara Blicvas (Bendigo Spirit)
4. Natalie Burton (Melbourne Boomers)
5. Aimee Clydesdale (Dandenong Rangers)
6. Katie Rae Ebzery (Sydney Flames)
7. Calya Francis (Townsville Fire)
8. Madeline Garrick (Bendigo Spirit)
9. Rachel Jarry (Melbourne Boomers)
10. Alice Kunek (Dandenong Rangers)
11. Tessa Lavey (Bendigo Spirit)
12. Tess Madgen (Melbourne Boomers)
13. Kathleen McLeod (Dandenong Rangers)
14. Elyse Penaluna (Bendigo Spirit)
15. Lauren Scherf (Dandenong Rangers)
16. Belinda Snell (Bendigo Spirit)
17. Stephanie Talbot (Canberra Capitals)
18. Kelly Wilson (Bendigo Spirit)

Camp -> Tour of Europe -> New Zealand Series

Brendan Joyce spoke exclusively to PnR on the squad and the Opals preparations ahead of the FIBA Oceania Olympic qualifiers against New Zealand.

The Road to Rio: Opals squad named for April camp

Topic #36874 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jarry appears to be a full time Opal at this point. She doesn't play any club basketball and has barely missed an opals camp.

Reply #524437 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No Steph Cumming?

Reply #524442 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

18 names, 14 correctly spelled. That's respect.

Reply #524445 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Good pickup. Amended. Will let BA know...

Reply #524451 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

After this WNBL season id love to hear how Lavey and Clydesdale got the nod before Rebecca Cole....

Does Brendan walk into selection with Lavey's name already on the list? How would Tessa feel around her peers knowing she's a shoe-in while Brendan has the job? I'm sure it would make friendships tough for her.

Reply #524466 | Report this post

Mel O'McKarono  
Years ago

BJ tweeted the other day that Delta Goodrem "can shoot the 3!"
That one skill arguably already makes her better than Lavey :p

Fair call about Cole though. She is clearly, and I do mean clearly, a level above Aimee and Tessa. And I say that as a fan of Aimee. I've always thought she had a bright future, and still do, but she's not international-ready yet. Bec is.

Reply #524467 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is the guy that only put Francis back in the world champs team because some of the senior players demanded it.

He was then able to give himself credit on social media for her being offered a wnba contract.

Reply #524472 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cole should be there over Clydesdale

Reply #524477 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wilson, really?

Reply #524479 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who was dropped from the first camp?

Reply #524480 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I like lavey and Clydesdale and think they have a bright future. But currently there being picked based on potential. There fast, bring good defence and energy but little else. Even freshman Wallace would be a better choice, but I'm sure she's getting ready for gems.

Madgen/Wilson and ebzery should be the primary ball handlers on that list. Preferably ebzery moving to sg with cole at pg.

Any who..
I like. For the qualifiers...
Madgen/Wilson/lavey
Allen/Ebzery
Talbot/jarry/kunek
Francis/burton
Batkovic/penaluna

I don't understand why scherf would be in that group. No where near ready...

Reply #524494 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

She seems to get mentioned a lot although I haven't seen Wallace play, but didn't she average around 2.5ppg and 1.1rpg in the NCAA this season?

How does that compare to the WNBL? Would she get minutes in the WNBL?

Reply #524498 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Garrick has been selected but she wasn't on the original list of 112. Did she get a late 'Delta Goodrem style' Twitter invite?

http://www.basketball.net.au/jayco-opals-name-extended-squad-olympic-qualifiers/

Reply #524499 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Damn Government! Hurry up and get Griffin's citizenship done already!

Wilson missed the Japan stuff due to injury as well as the FIBA related stuff.

Reply #524500 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cole was in a team that got her court time for wnbl. Lavey and Clydesdale both didn't get deserved court time. You saw what Clydesdale did in the final against Sydney.
Maybe they performed better at the camp. It's not all based on wnbl.

Reply #524588 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surely Wilson's WNBL GF should rule her out?

Reply #524591 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Imo. Qualifiers...
Wilson/Lavey/Clydesdale
Ebzery/kunek
Jarry/Talbot/Blicavs
Penaluna/Burton
Batkovic/scherf

Francis, Madgen, Allen playing in wnba.
Thought bunton would be a better choice at centre than scherf.

Who I would like to see in rio.
Phillips/madgen/Mitchell
Taylor/ohea
Griffin/1 of Allen or jarry or both if griffin no citizenship.
Francis/tolo/bishop
Cambage/Jackson

Injury replacements
Pg Lavey or Clydesdale
Sg Ebzery or kunek
Sf talbot or blicavs
Pf Penaluna or burton
C Batkovic or bunton

Who I think Joyce will probably pick for rio.
After possible hints of no Jackson, no Taylor in rio and Mitchell a liability on defence.
Defence + speed=
Phillips/madgen/lavey
ohea/ebzery
Griffin/jarry/Allen
Francis/penaluna
Cambage/tolo

Penaluna very similar to burton but much better offensively, not as mobile though.
Burton as another pf if no griffin. Griffins versatility being able to play 3 or 4 and ability to score puts her ahead burton.

Reply #524823 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In what universe is Burton a 4 or more mobile than Penaluna? Maybe more mobile than Penaluna was last year 3 days after doing her knee but that's about it.
The FIBA 3 point arc is 21' ft 1.75 in.
Therefore Penaluna's shooting range is larger than Burton's by approximately 21' ft 1 in.
Credit where it is due though. Nat can probably out-sprint Elyse in a straight line from baseline to baseline. And we all know how valuable a skill that is in basketball. That's a real game changer.

Reply #524838 | Report this post

Years ago

You've got to be able to catch a ball and be able to make a lay up though. Penaluna 1, Burton 0 in that category.

Reply #524840 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joyce has tunnel vision when it comes to some players, hopefully he won't get another gig after this 4 yr stint he bangs on and on about 'international' type yet continues to choose players that clearly will struggle on an international stage . Agree Cole should be in there over the likes of Lavey and Clydesdale who whilst both have speed as strength that's about where it ends.
And Sherf is way off the mark but the development being involved with such a group will help her.
Wonder if WNBA are preventing the Aussie women by placing rules on them that prevent them retiring to camps as a way of ensuring we have absolutely no chance of challenging them. Are the USA women permitted to attend their camps if so BA needs to challenge them on discrimination of equal standing on the matter.

Reply #524841 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Francis
Penaluna
Bishop
Tolo
Cambage
Jackson
Batkovic
Burton

so what 5 bigs would you take to rio from the list above?
It's such a tough choice.

As much as I want bishop to succeed, I don't think she will make the final squad. Length, height being the issue. Not sure how bishops outside shot compares to penaluna etc and if griffin makes the team, she could also play a small power forward roll. Have to See what happens in the wnba with her.

My pick.
Pf/c 6'4 Francis
Pf/c 6'5 Tolo
Pf/c 6'4 penaluna
C 6'8 cambage
C/pf 6'5 Jackson

Reply #524846 | Report this post

:  
Years ago

When is Liz due back

Reply #524851 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did everyone SEE bishops WNBL season? She's got a bigger X factor than Cayla Francis in my opinion - and is more reliable, and tougher on D. Bishop is a definite inclusion for me.

Reply #524855 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Picking penaluna who missed 18 months of competition then got back for a season and has now just missed another season would be a great story of overcoming adversity.

Reply #524858 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It would be a great story assuming she wins the spot on merit, yes. If she is able to go from zero right now to leap frogging everyone ahead of her in just 12 months then well done to her. Big ask.

Reply #524920 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:06 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754