Anonymous
Years ago

Chris Lucas to coach tall ferns?

not sure nz have the talent to make the Olympics. But good luck to chris him if it's true.

Topic #36881 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think he's only an assistant coach.

Reply #524510 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's made it clear to many people over the years that he wants to coach the Tall Ferns after Kennedy. That's why he has 2 of them at the fire. Maybe there is a succession plan.

Reply #524515 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is he coaching NZ teams now because he farked up the junior aussie team last year?

Reply #524518 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree, I thought he picked a horrible u17 squad.

Reply #524521 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Unfortunately, NZ woman's basketball right through to the TF's has bigger issues that a great coach is simply not going to magically fix.

Increasing participation rates at the junior level is a must.

Over-emphasis on the senior programme and its coaching structure/make-up is largely unwarranted. The Tall Ferns haven't played at the last Olympics nor the last World Champs. They are subject to periodic series every 4/5 years.

Reply #524522 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

So your saying that basketball NZ needs to campaign hard to get juniors to play basketball instead of netball for example?

Yeah that's gonna take more than Kennedy and Chris

Reply #524633 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Imo, I think nz basketball is on the rise and in the next 2-3 years will be the number 1 qualifiers for u19 and u17 at Oceania comps. The seniors not for some time. Maybe 3 years... When Australia's main players have retired and nzs are in there prime.
same thing for the women's.

Australia has great current talent in opals, boomers, gems and emus. But, the number of young prospects coming through for both girls and boys is diminishing.
We are in a golden era now with plenty of 18+/senior talent but not sure we can maintain the same quality of players in The next cycle.

Reply #524634 | Report this post

#NoThanks  
Years ago

I don't really see Lucas as a good fit for the Tall Ferns as they need a coach with sound development skills & principles to bring along their young talent. This isn't Lucas forte as he really struggles to integrate young talent in to his teams & is coach that is more comfortable coaching veteran players at the expense of developing young talent i.e. Olivia Thompson. He struggles to build rapport & relationships with his young players which leaves them feeling excluded & ostracised from the teams that he coaches. Trust me it wasn't a happy camp in Townsville the last WNBL season & is probably why at least 4 players from last years Championship side won't be there again next season.

Reply #524641 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I suspect BBNZ is keen on qualification or near qualification for Rio to push for more funding, be that public or private, so Lucas' main gig will be improving the current team rather than developing the one for 2018 etc.

Reply #524643 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:21 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754