Anonymous
Years ago

U.S. College pathways

Does anyone have any advice on which rep clubs provide a pathway to their junior kids that want to go to college?

Our association seems to do a great job with our Presdent's son and posting about him scoring a few points in the mid west, and when he's not on the club website his daughter is. Outside of that it is crickets.

My kid would love to go to college one day. Any clubs doing a good job out there?

Topic #36927 | Report this topic

Years ago

speak with your states nitp head coach

Reply #525431 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What are they going to do to help?
They are mostly under resourced, underpaid and doing way too much work already to give the individual attention needed to providing best opportunities for college pathways.
Talk to them but have a backup plan in place when they do nothing.

Reply #525432 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Read this article on preparing kids for US college. It is a great start and written by an Aussie coach over in the US for Australian kids.

Preparing Aussie kids for US college basketball

Also, be aware that many kids end up transferring schools too for various reasons, although mainly to do with playing time.

NCAA Men: McKay one of six Aussies transferring

Reply #525435 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Norths is a powerhouse in NSW sending a number of their kids to the US. My daughter is heading over in August

Reply #525448 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looks like we are going to have a considerable number of boys and girls going to college next season. More than any other year previous.

Reply #525450 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Your club coaching director should be the first person to call.

Reply #525452 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The club coaching director normally looks at what is best for his club so they might not be so helpful to help you go to the usa

Reply #525461 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Then he shouldn't be in the job. Helping develop your players is part of the job, if he's not willing to do that your club should find someone who is.

Promoting juniors to college from your club as an available pathway IS what is best for your club!

Reply #525473 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

oh so you have one of your better players that helps you win games and you say oh i will help you get to USA, no the approach would be we can develop you here.
See how many players are invalid to play in the usa because the club said it was ok to play in their team

Reply #525477 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

having said that there is some coaching directors that will help, not all are the same

Reply #525478 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

477 I don't know what club you're at but I'd suggest you get out quickly. That sounds like an absolute disaster. How unfortunate.

I've been involved both personally and through family with a few different clubs and I've never seen or heard of anything like that happening.

Reply #525480 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I posted in 477 and 478 I have seen personally kids that wanted to go to USA but was not able to . My kid was pressured to do things that were not Ncaa approved. yes there are very good ones out there but like everything there are some that are not.

Reply #525483 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I call BS. That didn't happen at all.

Reply #525578 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does religious belief play a big part in selection?

Reply #525583 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The only things that stop a player on the college pathway are
Accepting payment to play
Starting a uni course
Not finishing yr 12
Not taking the right subjects
Not passing the SATs
Not one thing there can a player be pressured into

Reply #525613 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Being able to play helps!

Reply #525614 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Haha yes that's a given

Reply #525616 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DAm you caught me out.
you are right just keep going in your land of milk and honey :P

Reply #525642 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

477, you should take the advice of the above anon and get out. At our club our coaching director would MUCH rather promote a player to US colleges that has that goal rather than have them remain here playing for us. And most of our competitor clubs around us share similar aims as far as I have heard.

The problem is you club! Get out!

Reply #525678 | Report this post

Brad  
Years ago

I guess it depends on what level US they want to play, if they want to go somewhere specific geographically, and if they need a full ride or want to pay some out of pocket.

Reply #585196 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:23 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754