Tom
Years ago

Where will Sydney play next season?

I'm not from Sydney and I've heard they were playing out of Homebush next season and by the sounds of it, it's not a very desirable venue for hoops. I don't understand why they wouldn't play out of Allphones arena or the Dome at the show-grounds? Any Sydneysiders who could she some light on the issue?

Topic #36978 | Report this topic

Woody Venkat  
Years ago

First 12 games will be in SEC or Qantas Credit Union

Then off to freakin razorbacks stadium

Reply #526363 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

12 games? Thats almost an entire season of home games. Are you sure thats the case? Or is that 12 games total including away games for the Kings? Meaning only a few games at SEC before demolition

Reply #526366 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

I believe they will try to have as many home games as possible at SEC for the first half of the season, then play the rest at Homebush. It's certainly not desirable and the Kings have sought to find alternative venues such as the Hordern Pavillion but Homebush is essentially the only venus that they could use in the interim.

Reply #526371 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bring back the Razorbacks I say! West Sydney!!! Probably still have a bigger fan base than the Kings...just no money unfortunately

Reply #526373 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

If they had a bigger fanbase than the Kings, they wouldn't have gone under, even with the disastrous name change to the Spirit...

As to the OP, the larger stadiums just aren't viable from both a rental and "being able to even partially fill them" standpoint, and I think there was talk about the Dome but it's all retractable/removeable seating or something? Also not really viable, unfortunately, as that I think has a bigger capacity and would work better from that POV (and is closer to the train station and other places out there compared to the SSC I think?)

It's pretty disappointing that in a city the size of Sydney, there isn't any better options...

Reply #526378 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

Not really, think about it. Any time empty space in a big city goes up for grabs.. whats the first thing that people shout out for...thats right...

HOUSING!

Apartments, Units, Homes etc. Developers want to subdivide it for places for people to buy, rent out, and negative gear.

Building a new Stadium for a sport that isnt all year around, its pretty much again a niche sport in Australia and that dosnt have the huge sponsorship Money isnt a high priority for any state government.

Reply #526385 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It will be a split season. 6-7 games at the Ent Cent, rest at the State Sports Centre. No provision at all for games at Allphones Arena due to excessive cost of hiring the venue.

Sad thing is it really isn't an issue for the club given they had less than 1000 season ticket holders last season, and given the laughably resourced front office they have and the pathetic amount they spend on media and marketing, you wouldn't expect any more than 1000 next season. That means they are all easily accommodated back at the Pigpen.

The problem the club will have is they won't be able to move back into the CBD for at least 3 years, and even then any new mooted stadium is not going to be in the CBD proper - Moore Park is NOT close to the Sydney CBD no matter what they might try and make people think. The new Darling Harbour entertainment centre design debacle (ie building something completely unsuitable for basketball) is going to haunt the club for years.

Reply #526387 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Could the club fold? It seems half their crowds are greebie tickets also such as c grade celebrities.

Reply #526399 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

The Kings drew an average crowd last season that would fill the SSC, theorise what you will about "greebie" tickets, I would say half is exaggerating, but it will be very interesting to see how much of a drop off they experience...

I think a lot of that would be down to how many weekday games we get and if there are any other clashes with other sports... What would be smart would be to try to partner with other sports that would be out there and get a daily double where you have a lunchtime Kings game then can walk across the precinct to watch whatever else is on... Really push it for families...

The Kings front office really have their work cut out for them this season and they really need to step up... With Bankstown basketball royalty in Jason Cadee and another young Westie Angus Brandt on board, they really need to push that connection and in the first half of the season, really need to prepare and sell the move, as it will be indicative of the following full season(s) out there...

My biggest problem in the past with the SSC is that they have the seating all messed up, so what would normally be the end of row in say a 20 seat row has 1 and 20 next to each other, and trying to get that across to the ticket selling people when you want an aisle seat is painful...

Reply #526407 | Report this post

ruzz  
Years ago

Mweamwhile they have just completed the $35M Netball Central Faciltyright outside the front door of the SSC
http://nsw.netball.com.au/inside-netball-nsw/netball-central/
10 courts with all the facilities/show courts to host the Netball World Cup but no Basketballl capabilities at all!
Whose masterstroke was it to build that without it having at least some capability as multi-purpose venue? This in a city that doesn't even have the court capacity to host Nationals.

Reply #526597 | Report this post

boss  
Years ago

Should def take a couple of games to Canberra

Reply #526609 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Should def take a couple of games to Canberra

Maybe pre-season games, but if they take away regular season games I for one will be pissed, especially to some where that they tried in the past and it didn't get any traction... Hell, people in Canberra didn't really turn up to the Boomers vs Tall Blacks game when they played there...

Reply #526637 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:50 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754