TheNon-Anon
Years ago

Is Graeme Wade Already A Failure?

A light of the news that there will not be a Brisbane team next season and there not being any tv deal, could we say that Mr. Wade is already a failure or is that a step to far?

Topic #36994 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes he is. Boti is taking over as CEO. Along with a full run down of all commercial arrangements the league has entered in to or is negotiating, he has the unlimited resources at his disposal to just make things happen. Also he is smart - he said so.

Reply #526659 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

I just love anonymous trolls, without these bottom dwellers, "average" would be so much more unachievable.

Reply #526670 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Very Old you're actual name?

If not you're no different to an anon troll.

Want real respect post your name (as Boti has to) when voicing your opinion.

Reply #526672 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

I dont know about Failure. The Issue with the NBL is that it dosnt know .. where it wants to go. It treads water, It dosnt have the budget to put tv adverts on too often, it dosnt know how to connect with fans on the 2010's.

Reply #526685 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

Ordinarily I would let this go bye to the keeper, as I generally chose to do so with those who are so oblivious to their own lack of nouse that the only commonsense they can actually demonstrate is to totally ignore their own advice, as you so clearly have done - but.

I agree re the eventual lack of anonymity when one consistently posts under a single non-de-plume , I happily bathe in the respect ( and occasional censure) of those who search/read my posts and are smart enough to work out who I am, really not very hard to do,judging by the number of direct emails and conversations I have had over the years.

When someone posts anonymously, they should fully expect outcomes similar to the proverb about getting fleas when lying with dogs ( hairy Trolls ?)

XoXo

Reply #526686 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

I think it is too soon to call wade a failure, he may well have an easier time of bringing in change, however with his ( proud ?)lack of experience in basketball , every hoary old failed thing will seem like a new idea to him,

Stern also had had years of experience as working a a lawyer within the NBA system before becomming commissioner, including the ABA and NBA "meger.

Reply #526687 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I don't really care and that's the worst thing. The NBL is not doing or saying anything that makes me care as a fan. When there's an announcement that a team is staying in the league, I don't believe it will last. They are not doing or saying anything that hasn't been said already for the last 5-10 years.

Reply #526688 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Yeah I completely checked out last season. Really don't care any more. The refereeing made games completely unwatchable, the league's incompetence makes following the league a chore, the games aren't on TV, NBL.tv doesn't work, and going to games in person is just too expensive.

If someone like me -- a tragic, basketball diehard who has followed the league closely for 20 years, through both boom and bust times -- doesn't give two shits any more, what hope is there connecting with Joe Sportsfan, let alone Joe Sixpack?

Reply #526698 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wasn't Marvin in charge of the TV deal once he left the NBL Board?

Reply #526699 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

What Mick said.

I'm done. Unless they (whoever "they" may end up being) can show some definite intent to change the direction of this rudderless ship, then my interest is LONG gone.

It seriously is the dullest sports league in Oz right now, and that's saying something as there is some heady competition.

I too am a basketball tragic, but have zero interest in this league anymore, which is astounding to me as I have followed it closely for near on 30 years now.

The last 10 years have seen me gradually go from massively interested, to each year that interest diminishing slightly to where it is now. Last season was the first season in maybe 24 years where I didn't at least go to one game.

So, as Mick stated, if a tragic like me isn't interested, why should non-b'ball fans even give a toss?

Reply #526701 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Something drastic has to happen to save the NBL from itself. It's not ideal but they should do the deal with Melbourne United's owner, the only hope the league has is a serious injection of money to market the league ram it down people's throats because this treading water business as the league slowly loses relevance will only lead to certain death.

No one else is lining up willing to blow millions of dollars on trying to make the NBL relevant again so I hope the other team owners put their narrow self-interested ways aside and do the right thing by the league.

Reply #526703 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^5

Reply #526715 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

I would say he either is, or if it is too early to call, will be. People are saying there is no TV deal, is that no TV announced yet, or there will be no broadcasting next season? Of course, the latter wouldn't surprise me. There is no positive talk yet. We all expected the struggling teams to somehow scrape in. I also think these NBA links are a crock

Reply #526718 | Report this post

Dione 87  
Years ago

if he can pull wollongong and crocs out from the brink, i think you can class him as a early success and then see where he goes from there

Reply #526762 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How will Wade have anything to do with the survival of the Hawks or Crocs. How absurd.
Crocs are already in and Hawks about to be. restrucring by the clubs themselves has achieved this nothing t o do with wade at all. The NBL including wade albeit breifly over saw the almost demise of tsees great clubs yet again.
He's in charge of the poisoned chalice.

Reply #526764 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

This article was in the Herald Sun in January 2015.

The NBL's new independent chairman isn't shy about admitting he knows "very, very little about basketball".

Graeme Wade, also the global president and chairman of CPA Australia, brings a great deal of governance and leadership experience to the table, if not basketball knowledge. Wade said on Friday he was looking forward to working with the league as it looks to expand into new markets around the country.

Wade was attracted to the role by the "impressive" operations of the NBL's various clubs, claiming basketball is "the second-biggest participation sport in Australia" at a grassroots level. "The other thing that attracted me to the basketball was the fact that it's a good thing," he said. "It's healthy, it's fun, it's family-orientated and it gets kids off the couch and off their devices. It's personally motivating to me to assist in getting something that's not violent video games, not beer and cigarettes, and promoting physical activity in the current environment."

When asked about possible locations for expansion clubs around the country, however, Wade refused to make any promises. "We're not making any premature announcements," he said. "All we can say is that negotiations are ongoing and we're quietly optimistic, and also, clearly as chairman of the board I don't want to have the board labeled as big talkers and not actors. Hopefully we'll deliver some definitive statements about that in the not-too-distant future, but at this point, we're not making any watertight commitments."

Advertisement Ex-NBL chief executive Fraser Neill had announced in September that the NBL would expand to include a Brisbane team in the 2015/16 season for the first time since 2008. Wade would not be drawn on whether these plans were still in place, as well as plans to include smaller teams such as a Tasmanian club. "The league is clearly looking for the team in the Brisbane area which is an obvious hole in the market, but the smaller teams in the other locations that you mentioned aren't critical to the success of the league. The league is going along quite well with the existing teams, but a few more - a couple of teams in key spots - will really enhance the competition."

Nick Marvin, the outgoing chairman, will remain as a board director to oversee broadcast negotiations for the next season. Marvin backed Wade to provide strong leadership for the NBL. "He has a wealth of knowledge and experience outside of basketball that will provide a fresh set of eyes as we look to expand and grow the League," he said.

Reply #526765 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Of course since the above in January he has had to deflect calls for the NBL to crash and re invent itself, remember the Andrew Gaze led media exposure after the Hawks and Crocs financial disasters.

He has had to pick up the pieces from the minute he has sat on the throne.

Reading the above again, it seems he understands most of what is needed, but whether he has the madate and the support of every team and their owners is going to dictate his success.

Unfortunately I don't see a Frank Lowe type of leadership possible, but give him time and let's see how it unfolds...

Reply #526766 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

"How will Wade have anything to do with the survival of the Hawks or Crocs. How absurd.
Crocs are already in and Hawks about to be. restrucring by the clubs themselves has achieved this nothing t o do with wade at all"

And therein lies the problem. The Crocs in particular should have every move scrutinised by Wade himself at this point.

Reply #526844 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

I'm with Mick and Speed44

And I'm sick of all the positive words leading to negative outcomes - sounds like another Pyramid Building Society kind of con. Give me someone who tells it like it is and gives me a realistic action plan.

Reply #526897 | Report this post

bounce back  
Years ago

Reply #567643 | Report this post

bounce back  
Years ago

looking back over this he seems to have delivered all he promised and more than we could have expected. Saved the 8 team Comp added Brisbane and delivering a great season ... sounds like he put all the bits together ... what more could you ask in 9 nmonths! Sounds like some of the trolls better post an apology

Reply #567644 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm not sure Graeme Wade can take credit for all those things.

Reply #567659 | Report this post

Nic 47  
Years ago

#Hardball Best season ever of NBL. Who cares who
did it since Wade became CEO it's just got better and better
Kings are crap, Refs SMH, but NBL is BIT!! It's basically fixed up.
Laurie Kettleman money made it all work
I'm hooked on hardball

Reply #574549 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Kettleman?

Reply #574586 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Once we got our Frank Lowie it all started to fall into place, didn't it?

Reply #574588 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:51 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754