Steersy
Years ago

First Seabl import sacked

Hobart chargers have sacked cam bennerman after 4 games?!! Pretty unlucky. They have sacked a few imports in 18 months.

Kevin white the replacement ? How do ppl think he will go in Seabl? Is he any better than SOJ

Topic #37004 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looking around league could hogan at Nunawading be next?? Numbers are ugly.

Reply #526784 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some teams just can't seem to get the mix right. And I know that imports are aplenty and another can come in but it cant be good for the club to be turning them over this often!

Sandringham's imports should be safe, as should Mt Gambier and DQ at Dandy, I couldn't see Ballarat or even Albury Wodonga look to change. Polk should be safe too.

I don't think Bendigo will change imports, but there may be a big man released if he doesnt pick up his form. Last week was a good sign.

What about some of the other teams? Is anyone involved there and seen them play? I can only go off team's I've seen or heard game reports off trusted people.

Reply #526788 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hogan should be ok once McDonald returns to Spectres. Just look at his performance during the pre-season matches and also the match against the Pioneers. Interestingly, though early days, Graham seems to do a lot better at Spectres than last season at Knox...

Reply #526789 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gaff has been down scoring wise but itvcould be his new role. Williams at NWT numbers aren't great but haven't seen him play

Reply #526790 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Graham looks a good pick up for the specs...works hard and looks a real find now he is playing with good players and a good coach.

Hogan is a wait an see once MacDonald gets back...but most shoot guards would love to play with MacDonald it makes life alot easier.

Is long still an import? He looks to be struggling numbers wise, though haven't seen him play this year

Reply #526794 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thought White was going to Frankston?

Reply #526802 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Frankston are getting Daryl Corletto

Reply #526817 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

White will be good in seabl
Had good numbers when he was with the miners 2 seasons ago

Reply #526818 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

White better than Hogan or Colletto ? How good is White really at this level now, can he score ?

Reply #526822 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^ according to the news reports he hasn't got any intention scoring big, just play solid defence and support the team

In a team that struggles to score I'm not sure how productive that will be :/

Reply #526826 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Steersy
Last month
21:09 13 Apr 15

Reply #524830
re: SEABL Round 1
Only one game. I wouldn't write off bennerman just yet. His shots just weren't falling for him. One of those nights it looked like from the sidelines.
Along with Hunt those two will b a great import combo after what I saw Friday night.
Harris-Tunks - can see why he's not in the NBL

Reply #526830 | Report this post

Steersy  
Years ago

Where's the relevance in that quote

Reply #526833 | Report this post

Young Gun  
Years ago

Good to see Hogan back in Oz. I moved from Melb to Bundaberg middle 2014...he hit a very classy buzzer beater at the first Bulls I watched (shaking off a defender). I SMS'd a SEABL club president suggesting they should look him for 2015. Good that someone else has him.

I reckon the wait & see what happens when MacDonald gets back is on the money. Also, because he's young, he could take a few more games to build up confidence & could be a keeper for seasons to come.

Reply #526836 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just watched Brisbane v Hobart ....ugly game but good win to Hobart. White will be a good pick up looks tough and brought the team together.

Luke Martin played for Brisbane as did Brendon Teys - first time I've seen him play - one of those players who is not athletic but damn smart always looking to draw a foul.

Brisbane coached by one CJ Bruton who was booted out in the 3 rd quarter after two techs. He spent a fair time trying to calm down one of their players who had a tech earlier can't remember his name but looked like a skinny cheech from cheech and chong. Brisbane fought back from 17 down to get within 3 but Hobart steadied with their guards Tiri Masunda, Tom Wright and Bj Radcliffe playing great d along with Kyle Hunt great on the inside, S

this game of SEABL was good hard ball good to watch

Reply #526839 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cheech - Scott Kenny

Reply #526860 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The tech against kenny was for abusing the ref early on followed by an outburst courtside in th 2nd, he sat the rest of the game out..cj was also questioned in the first quarter regarding a player on court not appearing on the team sheet..I believe they decided to add him and contine play rather than wasting further time

Reply #526870 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yeah - was it White not on the score sheet? That was separate from the 2 techs that CJ picked up later on.

think CJ benched Kenny after he picked up the techs then picked up a couple himself.

Spartans look to have a talented line up - might have a few to many man buns, hipster beards, high shorts and blokes who take themselves a tad too seriously though

Reply #526872 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I liked the pressure Brisbane put on Hobart, especially back court and under the basket defensively. I definitely like the look of Kevin White, has a physical presence on the court. A couple of the Spartan players certainly knew he was on.

Reply #526884 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wheres Spartans import?Not on score sheet last 2 weeks?

Reply #526896 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Achilles. Gone.

Reply #526908 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

CoE get up over Albury-Wodonga despite a 30 point game from Deba George..

Reply #526991 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Like in Hobart if Deba has 30+ the "team" suffers and you don't win many. Deba is a great individual scorer but doesn't make anyone else better

Reply #526993 | Report this post

PJ  
Years ago

Couldn't disagree with you more Anonymous. Deba has been one of the most unselfish players on the team so far this season. His shot has been off for the first few games but he's leading the team in assists at four per game (ninth in the league).

The Bandits had a tough weekend losing both games in Canberra but the unselfishness of the whole team has been the biggest highlight so far. Deba isn't trying to take over games by himself and his focus has been all about trying to get his teammates involved.

I'm not saying he wasn't like that in Hobart (I only saw him play once in Albury last year where he torched the Bandits with 42 points), all I'm saying is that from what I've seen this year he's been all about making his teammates better.

Reply #526997 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Happy to stand corrected as I'm only going of his past league history as I haven't seen him this year. That said looking at his number jacking a lot of 3'svat a poor clip. 2 good imports you'd think 4asts is down for a guy who can get into lane at will.

Reply #527002 | Report this post

PJ  
Years ago

Yeah he's definitely not shooting the ball well so far but he's also probably handling the ball less than he's used to. Deba is playing at the two spot with Daniel Sepokas doing the majority of the ball handling. Donte Nicholas also handles the ball a lot so it seems like Deba is still trying to find his place in the offense a bit.

I'm sure we'll see a big improvement in his numbers over the next few weeks.

Reply #527025 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

There was an article written in the Border Mail where he said there had been some personal issues (death in the family) which had impacted on his performance early season. I think we are seeing him getting back to normal now.How that impacts on the team its early days.

Reply #527026 | Report this post

SEABL Watcher  
Years ago

George & Sepokas both seem to be on a seesaw so far this season with up & down performances game to game. If they both start performing consistently & the imports stay fit, Bandits could go all the way but that bench looks very vulnerable.

Reply #527027 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great to see the game stats for Hogan in the Spectres match against Ballarat.

Looks like having McDonald back in the team gave the young man confidence to show that he can score and become a good addition to the team.

Anybody saw the match ...How did Spectres to such a big comeback in the last qtr ?

Reply #527028 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He hasn't shot the ball well since late last season when he had a minor injury...an absolute joy to watch when he is playing well, hope to see him back into good form sooner rather than later :)

Reply #527032 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

Bandits best game was the first - pretty sure Deba didn't play that one.

Reply #527034 | Report this post

Bball Fanatic  
Years ago

Sacking the import in Hobart after 3 games may come back to bite the Chargers, maybe they need to look at the stats that Harris-Tunks is putting up not many rebound or points for some on e who coach Rush gave big raps to at the start of the SEABL

Reply #527036 | Report this post

Bball Fanatic  
Years ago

Sorry 4 games for Bennerman not 3

Reply #527037 | Report this post

Bball Fanatic  
Years ago

Hobart Chargers won last Friday but will that fix the problem. with the rotations and all the Substitutions that happen how are players meant to get into a groove when the substitution door seems to be revolving constantly during the game. Most Imports and key Australians I know would play 30-35 min a game which makes the team more productive and create some consistency with the starting group.

Reply #527045 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hobart + Rush (2015) = Knox + Shanahan (2013, 2014)

We get it, you are not happy with the coaching.

Reply #527050 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Classic example was Friday night with Kyle Hunt. He zipped out to 6 points very early on, clearly ontop of Brisbanes defence only to be substituted and lost all momentum.!

Reply #527063 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Other than rush himself no one in town including the players are happy with his coaching.

Reply #527084 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

jeeeez talking bout railroading the bloke, is this cause he is from north of Oatlands

Reply #527085 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lets be clear here. The players have no respect for him or his coaching ability.

Reply #527099 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

this would not be a candidate for the job that Rush now has would it?

Reply #527100 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He is not doing any worse in the job that the last couple have done. Can't get much worse than the starting coach last year.

Reply #527105 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^ bit rough making that call..this time last year hobart were 3-3 having scalps of frankston, kilsyth and sandringham

Reply #527107 | Report this post

Deimos 66  
Years ago

terrible move by Hobart. Bennerman and Hunt were their only offensive weapons. ok, Bennerman had 2 bad games to start the seasons but was in no way being utilized to his skill set and potential. he also followed them up with 2 good games on the road against better teams in the league. what worries me is that Hunt gets everything off natural ability with rebounds, no skill and no plays. Mt. Gambia and Kilsyth had a solution by simply doubling him in the post resulting in a 5 point game.

"culture" has been a word used a lot by Rush in regards to Bennerman but i have heard from many sources that Bennerman was also training with the Glenorchy Magpie footie club for extra conditioning trying to get other teammates to join him. - that sounded like a good culture builder to me.

Reply #527117 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rush would have no idea what the players do off the court in terms of fitness. Bennerman is the fittest he has ever been. If Rush personally selected them then why does the board tolerate that at all so soon into the season?
Maybe rush didnt scout them and someone did? Is that because rush doesnt have true agent connections?

Reply #527118 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bennerman was so

Reply #527126 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bennerman was doing crazy amounts of work off the court. His Instagram shows numerous photos of work outs, court time and other therapy when he had niggling injuries. Despite on court performances he was making massive effort to get himself right.

Reply #527128 | Report this post

Deimos 66  
Years ago

i've kept up with Bennerman since his debut in Italy. you're not going to make it to Phoenix Suns Summer League *Vegas being "so". we have to question those who are making basketball decisions around here.

they wanted him to change the culture of the team, that cant happen in 4 games.

he's a strate killer, always has been. his demeanor is a bit layed back which doesnt work in his favor at times but in 4 games (2 of them terrible, a 46 point game in SBL, and the 2 away games clearly showed that he was turning on increasing his level of play) to sac a guy of his caliber and talent level, surely it will come back and bit you.

even through this bump on the road i still expect to see Bennerman in the NBL next year. its where he belongs and i hate that his first taste of Australia has to be with things like this.

Reply #527146 | Report this post

buckets  
Years ago

Bennerman will probably end up with another SEABL team before the end of the year. I expect him to be hunting around to become an injury replacement for another import. Definitely has the talent to be one of the best in the league.

Reply #527148 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hobart lost 4 games in a row. Made a change then won their next game.

The guy they cut started the season shooting 3/28 from the field. I doubt Hobart will be sitting around hoping the move doesn't come back to bite them. As for Bennerman playing in the NBL, I've seen crazier things happen, just not during my waking hours. There is a 0.0% chance of that happening.

Reply #527164 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They won against Brisbane, a team they were supposed to beat.

3/28 was the first game.
0/5 was the 2nd game.

What was his last stat line for the next 2 games at Mt. Gambier and Kilsyth? Solid, and against MUCH better comp. The blokes resume speaks for its self just as Rush's immaturity and lack of experience does. Terrible decision.

Reply #527188 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

seems to be some bitter comments on here re Rush; are there hidden agenda's. Criticism that Rush went to early sacking the import and the implication is that he should go - degree of hypocrisy. Let him coach and see what happens

Reply #527195 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He cant coach at that level. Thats the whole point. He clearly cant scout and one import gone and tunks a disaster. Get it?

Reply #527200 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who ever on this site is so pissed off with the Hobart coach that we have to hear about it every day should get involved with the club and help them .

Clearly better to do something constructive to make a change than to continuously piss on those who try.

get a mob together and go confront the club president, or who ever, and present a better plan than they have now . If that means having to pay out the coach and finding a better coach then convince the person(s) in powers - and bring the money to make it happen .

Reply #527203 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seriously it is becoming a joke.

We get it you don't like rush!

Give the guy more the 5 games... The club needs some stability.

Reply #527205 | Report this post

SEABL Watcher  
Years ago

The club needs a clue more likely.

They have gone from being consistent contenders to something of a joke in recent years with a revolving door for players & coaches. When you get things right then you want stability to maintain that formula but when things are not going well then change is needed. I agree it's a bit early to be dumping the coach but something needs to change.

Reply #527235 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:38 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754