Years ago

Possible NBL team for Rockhampton in the future?

Rockhampton have had a really strong side in the QBL and have played in 7 of the last 8 grand finals. Would they get a look in on an NBL side? What do you guys think?

Topic #37006 | Report this topic

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Who would be possible sponsors? Considering a team needs about $4M per season in revenue, they either need a big crowd. Big sponsor, or big Queenslander with deep pockets

Reply #526863 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If they did their QBL program would suffer. I think Rocky is the right size to support a solid QBL program but not big enough to carry both.

Reply #526873 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Yeah they have good results but Rockhampton probably isn't a financially viable area for the NBL.

Reply #526881 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

This is why the NBL should go for a two tier national comp. With the SEABL merging into a division 2 national league.

Run the NBL during summer with big markets and big budgets then run a national version of the SEABL. Then the state comps eg. Premier league, Big V as the division 3.

NBL becomes big market league: Adelaide, Perth, Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, NZ and 2 others.

SEABL would change into a division two comp with 2 conferences and 20 teams (10 each conference).

South Conference: 3 WA teams, 2 SA teams, 1 TAS team, 4 Vic Teams.

North Conference: 1 NT team, 5 NSW teams, 4 QLD teams.

Division 3 would be the state leagues, with the remaining teams. Pro/Rel system with div 2 national league.

If one of your states teams places in the bottom two of the conference of div 2 they are relegated and the winner of division 3 (state league) will be promoted to the national league div 2.

E.g. Norwood are in the national comp but finish bottom, and West win the Premier league flag, West then have the choice to enter the div 2 national comp in replacement of Norwood.

This would mean dominating state level teams can take a step forward, whilst the rest can keep on cruising.

Reply #526891 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

If the NBL cant figure Brisbane, I don't know what hope Rockhampton is suppose to have. I really think we should have gone to Fraser Neills "built for TV boutique league" idea, but instead.. we are striving for mediocrity and stagnancy.

Reply #526894 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

It may be slightly off topic, but I like the way you are thinking Baller#3...

Reply #526895 | Report this post

Years ago

Yes, very in favour of your thoughts Baller #3. Absolutely agree with the SEABL becoming a national div 2 league and the rest stay the same.

Reply #526898 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Should be very simple for the NBL. Put teams where there will be people.

Forget Tasmania and Adelaide. Think Perth, SE QLD, Melbourne & Sydney.

The rest will take care of itself if you can actually get your $h!t together and produce a product of some modest quality.

Reply #526904 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Do you mean forget adelaide as in scrap adelaide? We have one of the most successful clubs in the competition and have done for decades.

Reply #526914 | Report this post

Slopernator  
Years ago

Rockhampton has a population of 80 000. There's a case for regional representation in the league but even Cairns as the smallest market has double the population of Rocky.

While it would be the only game in town, I coudln't ever see a town of this size being represented in any national sporting competition.

Reply #526939 | Report this post

Andy  
Years ago

Maybe a central QLD team with Rocky, Mackay & Gladstone. only problem they all hate each other.

Reply #526954 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That doesn't seem to be an issue for the Central Qld NRL bid though Andy. Although in that bid's case I can't ever see that happening.

Reply #529336 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:29 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754