Bruce
Years ago

Big V SCW

Is this the worst womens elite league in the state/nation?
The difference between the top half and bottom half is so wide and getting wider.
Normally one can say this is due to money, it cant be said now. Sure some of the top teams have some quality players on money, however the standard of players one level down, is the real reason. And this is caused by the appalling level of development by some of these clubs.
The real kicker is the terrible standard of coaches in this league. Clearly there are some good coaches, however the standard drops off rapidly.
The inability to put a roster together, put a game plan in place to suit that roster, and then coach it, is a talent that not many of them have.
Some of these teams are playing players who should not be in the league. There have been margins of 58,40,31,39,75 and 38pts. That is a joke. Big V should get rid of some of these teams. I suspect they dont have the balls.
Play some quality kids with some great experienced players and get some good coaches.

Topic #37008 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its pretty ordinary yes..

Reply #526917 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Bruce, I started a thread a while back on the league's tolerance of Sherbrooke's SCW side.

I think there are a few problems/questions here:

- the league has tolerated poorly performing sides over long periods of time - Sherbrooke have been average for a long time
- there are appears to be a reasonable amount of SCW quality talent playing at D1 level - Vanessa Power comes to mind, and the D1 competitions seems far more competitive (Whittlesea are the only undefeated side and appear standouts looking at their percentage)
- perhaps there is just not the incentive, or for lifestyle reasons perhaps not the motivation, for the better quality players to play at the "next" level - cash, perception of quality, etc
- Is the YL distorting the talent pool? Are there SCW capable players running around at Kilsyth or Knox instead of playing SCW?

Certainly seems like a massive divide between the haves and have nots in SCW - bottom four look very poor.

Reply #526928 | Report this post

Broncs  
Years ago

Was at Broncos and Waverley last night and it was a great quality game. A big difference between the top and the bottom, although look at Warrandyte for example they have an import that played a season of WNBA, and Melbourne are better than last year. DV should be better but changed coaches last week so will be interesting. Real issue is clearly Sherbrooke. Time for Suns to look at D1 or D2.

Reply #526929 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where are some of the external faces that were meant to suit up for Southern Pen? Hay, Dickson haven't been sighted and they're playing with 7

Reply #526941 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I Hay is over in the US playing High School or AAU? Not sure who the other one is???

Reply #526947 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dickson is playing SEABL

Reply #526949 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

who for?

Reply #526951 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dickson tore her ACL

Reply #526956 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dickson was going to play seabl with Hobart before injury

Reply #526965 | Report this post

Develop Your Own  
Years ago

I think its admirable that the league is trying to expand but there's also the age old question of quality or quantity, and I think the league has gone the quantity path.

Sherbrooke isn't the only club to have ever struggled, although it would be fair to say that several are up and down.

You only have to look at Hume City, last and winless in 2011 to winning the title in 2013.

In Sherbrooke's instance, they have a SCW team winless so far in 2015 and looking like they won't come close, and their YLW2 team, in the competition for the first time in 2015, winless and looking like they won't even come close.

Look at their junior program and they can't even get a team into metro (forgetting 20's simply because so many clubs don't play 20s it's not that hard to get in). So what proposal did they put up to put a YL team in, and where did they say they were going to get their players from, and how did they convince the league they would be competitive?

Interesting only 1 players from their VJBL 20s or 18s is playing YL, so where are all their players from?

I think this is one case of the league putting quantity over quality.

Reply #527103 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dickson was never playing SEABL lol, she had signed with southern pen SCW
Never good when any player does their ACL

Reply #527106 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Dickson signed with and was released by Southern Peninsula leading up to round one, then moved on to an SEABL club where she unfortunately tore her acl.

Reply #527108 | Report this post

Olly  
Years ago

Might be worth asking the SP coaches why she quit. I hear they might have something to answer for.

Reply #527113 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

was it the same reason she quit nunawadding.......I tell you coaches , what gives them the right to actually coach over parents Sheesh, the worlds in turmoil!!!!!

Reply #527122 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I believe Dickson trained at a number of clubs over pre-season incl Nunawading, Dandendong and Frankston, all of which refused to guarantee a spot. Blow up at pre-season Big V tournament saw her sign at Hobart.
Always tough when someone does an ACL.

Reply #527136 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Biggest underachievers so far, Warrandyte. Cant say Sherbrooke, as they were never really expected to do much this season, but Warrandyte has a reasonable list, so why can't they get more wins?

Reply #528029 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:12 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754