GWB
Years ago

Rod Laver Arena for Boomers qualifiers.

Rod Laver will be the scene for the qualifiers. Looks like it is going to be a big game. Boti Nagy alluded to the fact that FTA channels were in talks to televise these games, does anyone know any more about this?

Topic #37010 | Report this topic

Slopernator  
Years ago

Great news! Will be a real litmus test for the state of basketball in this countr beyond the NBL. Indications are that most of our NBA contingent will be back for this, what are realistic expectations for crowd numbers? Surely BA wouldn't invest in obtaining an arena of this size without some well placed optimism?

Reply #526937 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Make tickets cheap and push for a sellout.

Reply #526940 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

According to BV we have women playing in the NBA, and Parry Mills will fill the house.

International sporting royalty will hit Melbourne this August when the biggest names in Australian and New Zealand basketball face-off in the FIBA Oceania Championships.

Never in Australian history have so may current Australian NBA stars played together, with teams set to feature Aron Baynes, Andrew Bogut, Elizabeth Cambage, Matthew Dellavedova, Dante Exum, Laura Hodges and Parry Mills.

Reply #526945 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Browse by price category Price Per Ticket/Item†

Best available (Any price category)
From $20.39
Premium $253.86
Category 1 $172.30
Category 2 $131.52
Category 3 From $50.98
Category 4 From $30.58
Category 5 From $20.39
† Fee

Reply #526946 | Report this post

Josh  
Years ago

those are the junoir prices....

cat 3 is $100 for an adult
cat 4 is $61 for an adult
cat 5 is $40 for an adult

this costs more then an NBA game...

Reply #526948 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There's 41 home games in the NBA amongst other things.

Reply #526958 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And your point is?

Reply #526959 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Point is there is more games. This is a one - off. I don't know how often we will get pretty much all of our big names on the same court in Australia. If we do get Bogut (and the quote I will post at the bottom suggests that is still the plan) then this really will be a big deal.

If we get all our available NBA guys, we fill a 15 thou arena, we get FTA coverage of the game (which is the aim) and we play well, what could this do for Basketball in Australia? Surely a few NBA heads with no NBL interest will give it a look?

-----------------

Airbnb Australian Boomer, Andrew Bogut, in the midst of NBA Playoffs with the Golden State Warriors, said: "I am thrilled to be playing for the Airbnb Boomers in front of our home crowd in Melbourne. This is a fantastic opportunity for Aussie fans to get behind our national teams and I urge everyone to come out to Rod Laver Arena and support us with the passion we know the basketball community has."

Reply #526960 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will the series be live on Television?

Reply #526961 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

There are talks of it, Anonymous.

Reply #526963 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hope so, for those that don't live in Melbourne

Reply #526964 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Nine live is a major sponsor...

Victorian Major Events Company is behind this game also. Some serious cash injected.

Channel 9 TV cameras were in attendance at the media announcement. Very little press in attendance (Roy Ward was there).

Had a great chat with Exum, Lemanis & Joyce.

A couple of additional/different quotes in my article below.

Returning NBA stars highlight Boomers and Opals double-header

Reply #526966 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LC,

So the series will be on Channel 9 then?

Reply #526967 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Don't know - putting 2 and 2 together - however it does not always add up.

I have a feeling any potential TV announcement may only come once the "Sold Out" sign goes up.

Reply #526970 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Form a Basketball Victoria email about ticket sales for the event:

Never in Australian history have so may current Australian NBA stars played together, with teams set to feature Aron Baynes, Andrew Bogut, Elizabeth Cambage, Matthew Dellavedova, Dante Exum, Laura Hodges and Parry Mills.

Parry Mills? Who is he?

Get in early from 9am Melb time on Monday by quoting "CAMBAGE" for tickets.

Reply #526971 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Roy Ward is saying in an article today that BA are negotiating with Television at the moment.

I emailed BA on the 2nd of February and they said "We are currently in negotiations"

3 months to negotiate a deal?

Mmm... Doesn't sound likely to me

Reply #526975 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

They will not announce such an arrangement - if it were to eventuate - until it suits them.

Reply #526977 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let's hope that www.livebasketball.tv/ stream it, if it's not on television

Reply #526978 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

I think a game of this magnitude would be televised somewhere. At very least on something like Fox Sports if nothing else. It will be televised.. I just hope NZ brings their A squad too so that this isn't an absolute 30 point bollocking.

Reply #526980 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Prices seem a bit on the steep side don't they?
Reckon they will get a full house?

Reply #526982 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Very expensive tickets. We'll see if that's foolish or genius in a few months' time.

Reply #526992 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

I think the expensive tickets were a mistake. Although we are seeing NBA caliber you don't want to run the risk of having an empty arena.

Reply #526998 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We will probably have a fair idea of whether it's foolish or genius by the end of this week when we see how many good seats are still available

Reply #527000 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Interestingly, most of the $170-odd tickets (Cat 1) have sold already...

Plenty of Cat 2 and 3 left at the cheaper rates.

Reply #527038 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The top dollar ones aren't the potential issue, it's the high cost of your average ticket which makes up the bulk of the stadium.

Reply #527041 | Report this post

MELHOOPS  
Years ago

Works like this guys....

Sell out the venue based on Bogut, Mills, Exum & Delly playing

Get TV deal based on sold out status

Players pull out 1 by 1, leaving us watching Gibbo & Baynesy for $40-100 a ticket.

Reply #527049 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

We are trying to build the sport up are we not. Cheaper cat 3 tickets should have been implemented to allow for anyone to go see Aussie home grown NBA talent, not just for the rich.

Could have kept all the other ticket prices as is. Potentially could have increase the cat 1 tickets.

Big Arena - think less about the cash grab and more about filling the stadium and exposing Australian basketball

Pipe Dreams I know

Reply #527051 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

It's a nice thought, Flinders.
I agree that the cheap seats should actually be cheap. A sold out arena would be a much needed boost for aussie basketball.

Here's hoping for the miracle of Bogut going the rest of the season without an injury. Him participating in the NZ series would be a great step toward it being successful from the fans' POV.

Reply #527057 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Agree with you Flinders.

Reply #527064 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Got me some good seats. All the people complaining about prices get over it spend the money and enjoy this great experience us melbourians are lucky to have. Suck shit Sydney!

Reply #527080 | Report this post

Baller6  
Years ago

Yep Benno seems to have the right idea, forget about the cost forget about growing the sport just grab some tickets for yourself (not for the family that would cost too much)or go watch the footy instead, that should grow the sport here a ton I'd say....

Reply #527088 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

A sell-out would do so much for the sport. It is a rare opportunity to even think about achieving a sell-out, regardless of ticket cost. But it looks like BA just wants to capitalise on the opportunity to make some extra cash, but have likely messed that up too. History says BA are total morons, and this fits the pattern so far. Let's hope enthusiasm for the Boomers is surprisingly strong on the back of some good publicity and some guaranteed big name players and, miraculously, there is a sell-out.

Reply #527160 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Adult tickets (good seats too - front few rows of the upper level) are still available for $39. $39 for two games of elite international basketball is good value.

Reply #527174 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

With the Spurs out the playoffs, do you think this might have a negative impact on ticket sales for this game?

No Spurs means less interest from an Australian point of view given the Mills/Baynes factor as far as getting playoff highlights on the news, hence drumming up interest in the game.

Its only really Andrew Bogut's Warriors that have a significant Australian in the spotlight now. You could argue the other Aussies must be counted also (Delly, Bairstow) but they probably wont make any highlights.

I think BA are morons for charging these prices at a time when basketball is very shaky (as always).

Reply #527191 | Report this post

Josh  
Years ago

"Adult tickets (good seats too - front few rows of the upper level) are still available for $39. $39 for two games of elite international basketball is good value"

people arnt buying these becasue they are classed as obstructed, only obstruction is that the adverstisng singage is infront of u instead of a seat but it only stops the view if u slouch right down or are soo small ! i took these seats !!!

Reply #527193 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exum was on SEN radio this morning and when asked if he'd be playing he said he "should" be. So even though he was at the launch it's not necessarily a certainty. I think our greatest strength (the number of NBA players we have) could also be our weakness, as we can't underestimate the drain a long NBA season can have on their bodies.

Reply #527265 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Should be?
That is ominous. He is 100% healthy and has no need to say anything other than yes unless he already knows he is planning to pull out.
:-/

Reply #527267 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"I think our greatest strength (the number of NBA players we have) could also be our weakness"

Most of our NBA players were in Spain last year. It's largely irrelevant. Once you understand where your points come from, and have the key players to create that, it's about having players who can fill all the necessary roles and play well together.

Reply #527270 | Report this post

mike  
Years ago

i think he means should be as in, andre might not play his ass!
i thought dante should have gotten more time in the worlds to help develop him and the same thing could happen here, we should be able to handle NZ just depends on how we play and who we play

Reply #527274 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

well I hope you are correct and he is just being ridiculously modest.

Reply #527275 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joe Ingles decided to skip the international off-season for the first time in his career after completing his first ever NBA season ...

Reply #527278 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joe's decision is understandable given his circumstances. And he made his decision known to everyone with plenty of notice.
I've got no problems with any of that and I hope Joe is 100% healthy going into the next NBA season.

Reply #527291 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

I love how most people assume these guys will play.Nobody will have an injury or have small operations between seasons will they?
Very naïve. I know people who want to fly down from Qld but with the fare a hotel and now ridiculous ticket prices, will end that.
They aren't the Melbourne Opals & Boomers!!!!

Reply #527301 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

It all comes down to Bogut and Mills to me. If either of these don't play, you can kiss goodbye any sell out.

Reply #527320 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I reckon 2 out of 3 of Bogut, Mills & Exum would be passable, but Bogut is the major draw card IMO, just because of how long he has been repping Australia in the NBA and how long since we have seen him in action on home soil.
I have every faith in Patty to play given that he is healthy and his season is done with. I wish I could say the same about Bogut.

Reply #527327 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

This well sell out for sure.

Melbourne is the sporting capital of the world, and people will turn out for this. So many people in Melbourne love the NBA- in the past, games at Vodafone have gone close to a sell out, and if Bogut, Mills and Dante are all playing then you can more or less guarantee an extra 7,000 to fill RLA.

Reply #527559 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Some of here need to understand that the demands of an NBA season are extreme and at the end of such a long season with so many games, these guys need something called recovery...

They all want to play for Australia, why wouldn't they, but they also want to be able to play, not risk being injured from not being able to recover properly.

This is our biggest issue in the junior ranks IMHO, the fact that our top tier athletes are pushed too far and extreme loads on their body will eventually shorten their careers and limit how often we see them in the green and gold!

Reply #527560 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Some of us here.....

Reply #527561 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Yeah I agree with that. The NBA season is extremely taxing. I look at Boris Diaw and Tony Parker who played for France and won the Euro championships, in between two trips to the Finals with the Spurs, and I'm guessing they went 21 months without much of a break. It's crazy. I understand if the likes of Bogut and Mills might not want to risk playing in a qualifying tourny that the Aussies would win comfortably without them.

But, it's undeniable that their presence or lack thereof would have a big effect on the popularity of the Boomers games here. Loads of people follow NBA, much more than NBL. No one even mentions European competition. So those guys are a far, far bigger drawcard than the likes of Newley, Martin, Gibson, Broekhoff etc. The basketball die hards (me) will go anyway but the casual basketball fans need the NBA guys to get them interested.

Reply #527569 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Yes, the NBA rules itself, but there is much that can be done to promote this and the Euro League guys, so I would be asking the question, 'where is the big promotion?'

They could sell it out if they really wanted to regardless. Use Bogut as an embassador if timing is right but he is too sore to play, just think first and promote it, should work out fine...

Reply #527572 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:10 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754