Anonymous
Years ago

Bendigo Spirit appoint Simon Pritchard as new head coach

Bendigo Spirit has appointed Simon Pritchard as head coach for the next two seasons.

Topic #37019 | Report this topic

';'  
Years ago

WOW Good luck girls

Reply #527185 | Report this post

1nth3kn0w  
Years ago

Wow good luck to Simon I wish him well. Tough job to come into thats for sure, when the club cant even manage their Facebook page.

Reply #527187 | Report this post

';'  
Years ago

From the Bendigo spirit page. hope Simon knows what he is in for:

Isn't that what Bernie has done Gabe ,Maddie,Snelly, Jane etc all from country Vic so this dipstick is going encourage that is he and he is going to change how they play, mmmm Change a winning program 2 championships ,3 Grand finals, yeah right buddy let's see you improve on that. Nobody was more team than Bernie and Kristi. Gunna run a bit more are you pal,mmmm had the best point guard in the world running the team and she new when to push and when to slow it down but you know better pal. You talk the talk let's see you walk the walk, when you have won 3 championships in a row then you have been more successful Than Bernie until then your a nobody. PS hope you get paid. Shame on you Greg Bickley you make it sound like the team was in disarray and having no success at all, there is only one way from the top dipstick and I think maybe you might even be smart enough to work that out Greg but I'll answer it for you anyway and that's . down

Reply #527189 | Report this post

Greg  
Years ago

Greg Bickley and the entire board are just complete utter idiots who are going to just nail the coffin on this club shut.

I don't expect Kelsey Griffin to return which will be a shame for the entire league, one of the great imports that the WNBL has managed to get and most likely in the top few people to watch when a game is on in the entire league.

Reply #527194 | Report this post

Wayne  
Years ago

Kristi Harrower supposedly not payed a single cent to play last season, raises questions on the board.

http://tinyurl.com/n67px89

Reply #527196 | Report this post

TLC  
Years ago

I told you the truth would come out.
It is starting to now.

Good luck Simon Pritchard. Nothing against you personally or professionally but you will need it! Good luck getting paid too! Poor bastard you have no idea what you're in for or who you're dealing with.
But I will always wish the Spirit team all the best on the court. It's only some of those crooks in the board room I have negative feelings towards.

Reply #527199 | Report this post

Wayne  
Years ago

It still gets back to the first point.

Bernie was supposedly asking for too much to coach.

He said he'd basically do it for nothing, 5,000 was reported.

Club is in debt, restructuring/etc top to bottom, how does a coach cause that? Simple, he doesn't control the finances the board/treasurer does.

So how do they manage to hire two new people, a GM and a coach while scream about being in debt?

I don't get it.

Reply #527201 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What ever has gone on at bendigo, the way Caitlin harrower has attacked Simon Pritchard on their facebook page is just disgraceful and totally uncalled for, the guy has accepted a job, not sacked bernie personally, it's time the harrowers began to behave with a lot more decorum, before they loose everyone's respect.

Reply #527217 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shut up stacie

Reply #527219 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stacie is clearly a few sandwiches short of a picnic.
"I'm not sure what a dipstick is"
Really?
But you are sure of what a dipshit is?
At least a dipstick is an actual thing.

Reply #527239 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Erm I posted that and I'm certainly NOT Stacey I have no idea who Stacey is.
I read the posts on bendigos Facebook page via link from here and was just astounded that the new coach is being attacked for signing.

Reply #527263 | Report this post

TLC  
Years ago

From Facebook

Kristi L Harrower
Wayne I played for nothing this year and in 2008. I still haven't been paid my money for my 2013/14 season. It's only the harrower's that don't get paid which I'm not sure why.
Like ยท 1 hr

Reply #527269 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Am sure this will be denied but the word is that Kristi was not going play so they used the budget available to contract Snell. Then Kristi changed her mind but there was no budget left . So how does that work? Was there a new contract signed with Kristi promising $$ or was there no contract? Don't know but this saga is an embarrassment to everyone. Not so much the dispute as I can understand the unhappiness of Bernie for what has happened. And he is rightly entitled to be unhappy considering his record and what he has done for the Spirit.

It is the behavior and carry on by the extended Harrower family that has the whole basketball community shaking their heads. I certainly hope Caitlin Harrower is a teenager as I could perhaps understand the behavior but if not, stop embarrassing your family by the way you are behaving. If this continues, the only thing that Bernie will be remembered for will be being unfairly sacked, not the outstanding record he has achieved.

Reply #527281 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Another basketball club on the nose - too many ego's and not enough transparency ...another sad case ..

Reply #527285 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Even if the Kristi/Snell thing is true it doesn't come anywhere near explaining the budget hole they are in and doesn't explain why it goes back multiple years. It also doesn't explain why a coach who wasn't earning much anyway, and who offered to coach for virtually nothing, and has a proven record of success, and was instrumental in the team coming to fruition in the first place, can be replaced just for financial reasons. As an outsider, that is what really doesn't add up to me out of all this.

Spirit: Bernie, you're fired.
Bernie: But I'm still under contract!
Spirit: Well ... uhhhh ... in that case, we've got no money! We need someone cheaper! So you're still fired!
Bernie: Well I will coach for next to nothing then. Problem solved!
Spirit: Congrats to our new head coach, Simon Pritchard!
Bernie: (WTF???)

Reply #527290 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Their is obviously a lot more to it that no one will ever be told about unless in that inner sanctum, but regardless the harrower family are doing themselves no justic by behaving the way they are towards a coach who is just doing a job. Be angry by all
Means but direct it towards the right people, and do it via the right channels NOT social media

Reply #527299 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Airing your dirty linen on social media is of no benefit to anyone.All its doing is damaging peoples reputations and the clubs brand.

Reply #527308 | Report this post

PC  
Years ago

The funny thing about all of this hoorah is that they replaced Bernie with a first year coach who has coached loaded teams in S.A but is banking on that 'winning' as being enough preparation and proof that he's worthy to coach in the WNBL.

Not to mention the blatant butt kissing of the opals program. This guy clearly will do anything to get a leg up for himself. Saying 'we're going to play an uptempo style'. Hang on, super coach. You do realize you have an older, more experienced, less athletic team don't you? That's red flag number 1. Then making his press conference about Tessa Lavey and fitting HER style? Red flag number 2.

How about the team that won titles with Kristi and Bernie? I reckon Richards, Wilson, Griffin and Snell are pretty important. Why would you even mention Lavey when there's multiple championship winners on the roster?

Seems like a typical one of these coaches that tell you they're all about others and the team, but then only do the right thing by themselves. Good luck Bickley and bendigo. You're gonna need it.

Reply #527313 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perhaps brendon Joyce was not happy with lavey not getting crt time so Bernie has paid the price!!!

Reply #527331 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That family is acting like a hillbilly clan and damaging the Spirit brand. I can only imagine how difficult it was for the board and administration to work with them over the years.

Reply #527346 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

None of this is good for the brand of Bendigo or the WNBL. But how the hell did Pritchard get the gig - just reading the press release was making me cringe. If he had the same attitude in the interview no way he's getting the gig.

Reply #527350 | Report this post

Wayne  
Years ago

Last part sums it up, still shaking my head wondering how and why they would get rid of him for an unproven coach.

Reply #527359 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Regarding Garrick:

Terrific athleticism, great defender, solid perimeter shooter, excellent mid range shooter, good rebounder.

Not really a ball handler but has a great explosive first step and can get to the rim well.

Also a terrific young lady who has been very determined and focused right throughout her career both at junior and senior level.

Reply #527373 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^^

Apologies wrong thread, can this be moved to the Opals thread please.

Reply #527374 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Kristi having a dig at Gabe on the Spirit FB page?

Reply #527431 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Good luck to Simon, hope he does well.

He certainly has a lot of coaching experience and has a good apprenticeship at WNBL. Would be great to see him succeed.

He lives and breathes basketball.

Reply #527432 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Think Kristie needs to pull her head in and show some better judgement and maturity befitting of someone who has been held with such high regard . She's destroying it all with her lashings on that page

Reply #527460 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What did Kristi say re: Gabe? I am having trouble finding these on fb!

Reply #527467 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

FB user:
...If you're referring to Gabe Richards yes she probably would be happy we'll see what happens this season under the new coach and see if she'll prosper."

Kristi:
"...she has to have the motivation and determination to do it first"

Reply #527472 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You would think a legend of the game would have more sense than to post something lime that about a team mate. Disgraceful.

Reply #527481 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed with what is being said already.
the Harrower family are doing themselves no favours by making this a public fight.
Unfortunately, all that is being done, is tarnishing her reputation that she isn't able to win back. People will remember her and her family as being a pack of whingers rather than an exceptional player that she was.. and a good effort on Bernie's part.

Sometimes. Silence is golden. Respect to the playing group for remaining quiet.

Reply #527487 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Victorians.....sheesh!
Take some good old SA know how over there mate.

Reply #527488 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Bendigo
Spirit
Bernie
Harrower
Kristi
Basketball
Coach
Winning program
2 Championships
3 Grand finals
The truth will come out
Greg Bickley
Board
Simon Pritchard

Finished my bingo card.

Reply #527495 | Report this post

Wayne  
Years ago

Well that was the most useless post I've seen ^

I'd like for Roy Ward or someone to get the other side of the story, non board side that is.

All we've seen is spin.

Reply #527539 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:28 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754