Kelly Wilson

Topic #37023 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Still flogging the dead horse that is Tessa Lavey I see

Reply #527298 | Report this post

dane suttle  
Years ago

anon 298. no doubt you're the flog, at least be game enough to put your name to your vitriol.

Reply #527300 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

no cayla francis? or is she tied up with other duties?

Reply #527302 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ that was a given with lavey she will go to
Olympics too guaranteed even of she breaks a leg Joyce will find a way to have her there !
But pretty ordinary team considering the talent in australian basketball , obviously the WNBA players couldn't get out of playing or is it they don't want to?

Reply #527303 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Cayla Francis has been picked up by the Phoenix Mercury this season (as have Tess Madgen and Leilani Mitchell, which is presumably why they aren't participating either)

Reply #527304 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anyone know the dates of the tour?

Reply #527311 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So who is out? MacLeod, Clydesdale, and Scherf.

Is Lavey the only primary ballhandler on the squad with Wilson as a combo? I don't know Garrick's game is she a ball handler or will Ebzery and Tablot spend some time handling the ball?

Reply #527315 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

I would class Wilson as a combo guard and she has certainly played plenty of PG in recent years so she can do the job. Her strength really is as a scorer and not a distributor though so playing the point takes away from that.
The next closest thing I guess is Ebzery, who is a 2 guard. Followed by Snell.
Garrick & Talbot, no and no.
So it seems Wilson has definitely been picked with ball handling duties in mind.

Reply #527318 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Garrick is an absolute gun, watched her the other week playing for Frankston seabl, she's the dark horse there definitely way better than lavey as a ball handler and Wilson as a scorer , I'm not surprised at all she's been picked she's certainlyba future star

Reply #527330 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

PG: Wilson, Lavey
SG: Ebzery, Snell, Garrick
SF: Kunek, Talbot
PF: Hodges, Penaluna, Blicavs
C: Batkovic, Burton

Loads of the best talent missing but that team should still be competitive against the Euros.
Good chance for some fringe opals to make a positive impression.

Reply #527332 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

From what I have seen of Garrick in the WNBL she can handle the ball but is no way a point guard. Her mentality is shoot first, shoot second, and shoot third. But a promising player for sure. I like her too. I just don't consider her a point. 0.4 assists per game is not many for a guard.

Reply #527333 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great reward for Garrick. Went forward in leaps and bounds at Franga in SEABL last year. Won SEABL MVP. Agreed has a scorers mentality but can play defense as well.

Reply #527334 | Report this post

Wonderer  
Years ago

After watching the intra squad scrimmage at the Terrigal camp, it is clear that the back up point spot will be between Lavey and Ebzery, assuming that
Phillips and Mitchell are selected.
Ebzery won that battle, could guard Lavey and score on her as well.
Wilson probably too small for international game? Couldn't really take her and Mitchell, I would have thought?
Smell looked out of sorts and may have had her time at this level, but is a big time performer, so might not have bought in on this occasion. . Blicavs and Talbot stood out In my opinion, for what it's worth.

Reply #527344 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Blicavs would need to do a hell of a lot better than the performances she dished up in the WNBL play offs.

Reply #527348 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow, what does Bec Cole have to do to get a look in? Thought she was one of the better PGs during the WNBL season and is a much steadier ball handler than those mentioned.

Reply #527351 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think ebzery is being moulded into a pg. I think that's why she's at the Coe.

This tournament I like...
Wilson/lavey
Ebzery/snell/Garrick
Talbot/kunek/Blicavs
Penaluna/hodges
Batkovic/burton

Reply #527352 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone know if griffin is a possibility for rio?

Reply #527353 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ Anyone know if she's a chance to stay at Bendigo or is she off to the Rangers?

Reply #527354 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Wow, what does Bec Cole have to do to get a look in?"

That's a very good question!
Add her to that 12 and she's suddenly the best PG on the roster.

Reply #527356 | Report this post

/  
Years ago

how is liz cambage's injury rehab going ? when will she be back ?

Reply #527357 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Same time as when she always returns. When she's in the mood.

Reply #527358 | Report this post

Wayne  
Years ago

I would doubt very much that Kelsey Griffin would leave Bendigo, if she does it would be to go to Europe.

As someone said, how is she for being a chance? No idea how citizenship works, both in actually being eligible and acquiring it.

But I'd have her in my team every day of the week and twice on Sunday's!

Reply #527361 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With penalunas sudden rise. Do you think bishops chances of making the opals diminish even more?

I guess it all depends on how well she's does in the wnba?

i think it might end up being...
Pf/c Tolo/Francis/1 of penaluna, bishop or burton
C Cambage/1 of Jackson or batkovic

Reply #527371 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Regarding Garrick:

Terrific athleticism, great defender, solid perimeter shooter, excellent mid range shooter, good rebounder.

Not really a ball handler but has a great explosive first step and can get to the rim well.

Also a terrific young lady who has been very determined and focused right throughout her career both at junior and senior level

Reply #527375 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bec Cole is the unluckiest player going around and she has a corker of a season she should of been selected. She works hard at her basketball too.

Plenty of unavailable players due to WNBA commitments - O'Hea, Bishop, Taylor, Francis, Madgen, Mitchell, Allen, Jarry, Phillips. Tolo another one not available. That's nearly a whole team.

Reply #527380 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Full wnba squad.

Phillips/madgen/Mitchell
Taylor/Allen
Ohea/jarry
Tolo/Francis/bishop
Cambage/Jackson

Reply #527381 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Talbot and penaluna are killing it in the seabl currently.
I personally think they could end up replacing a few people.

We are stacked atm. If griffin comes into frame... Who the hell do you take out?
Taylor, ohea, jarry, Allen, Talbot, kunek...

IMo best squad rio...
5'8 Phillips/5'10 madgen
6'1 Taylor/6'1 ohea/6'1 Allen
6'2 Griffin/6'2 Talbot
6'5 Tolo/6'4 Francis/6'4 penaluna
6'8 Cambage/6'5 Jackson

Ohea and Taylor splitting pg duties on occasion.
Having griffin cancels out bishop I think. tough call between penaluna and bishop.
No griffin will most likely result in jarry filling the roll.

Injuries replacements.
5'5 Mitchell at pg
5'10 Ebzery at sg
6'1 Jarry at sf
6'3 Bishop at pf
6'5 Batkovic at c

Reply #527383 | Report this post

MRT  
Years ago

I don't understand how some people don't have Bishop in the mix. I think she's a gun. I'd have her in my starting five.

Reply #527403 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let's see how she goes in Seattle and playing against a much bigger, more athletic opponent. Interesting to see.. It's a step up for sure. Didn't get the minutes or have the experience last time.

Reply #527404 | Report this post

finals995  
Years ago

Brendan showing us yet again how besotted he is with Spirit bench players. The poor bloke just can't elevate enough of them.

Reply #527408 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

I've actually got no problem with Brendan picking this type of team largely on future potential. That's what this type of tour is for IMO. He is missing pretty much an entire team full of the best players due to injuries & WNBA commitments, so I am all for him stacking this touring squad with young players, and adding a few dashes of experience just to keep them cohesive.

It's when he brings the crazy to a big tournament that I take issue.

Having said the above, I'd still have Bec Cole in the 12 in a heartbeat.

Reply #527410 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Everyone banging on about Cole - have you thought it may not be her ability but mindset? Attitude in SEABL not always great.

Reply #527412 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bec Cole doesn't have a good mindset? The same girl who broke her nose towards the end of last WNBL season and insisted on playing with that crazy face mask to help her team (so said Molloy)? The girl who was out for 1/2 years with a knee injury and made a good comeback? And who just won the SEABL player of the month?

Yeah.......

Reply #527417 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm seeing a team where potentially 1 London Olympic squad member (Cambage) plays in Rio.

The other 2 - Batkovic (age) and Jarry (injuries) are question marks.

The others - Bishop and O'Hea seemed to get highlighted as unlikely when Joyce speaks to the media - http://www.watoday.com.au/sport/basketball/australian-opals-play-long-game-as-rio-olympics-approach-20150502-1myhbt.html

Snell and Hodges could win spots and have been heavily involved in the opals program the last few years, although I would have thought that London would have been their last Olypmics.

I would do the same if I took over a team, push for a youth movement and if results aren't as expected you have something to fall back on.

Reply #527419 | Report this post

finals995  
Years ago

Would love to have seen Newley rewarded with selection in this team (since everyone else seems to want to play favourites). :0)

Reply #527427 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

More like he doesn't want O'Hea or Bishop.

Reply #527429 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

More like he doesn't want O'Hea or Bishop.

Reply #527430 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Probably a decent analogy is where a new regime takes over a TV station and cancels or doesn't renew all the old shows. If the shows do well they won't get any credit and if they do poorly they'll receive all the blame.

Reply #527441 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hear hear #427 I can't believe anyone would question Bec Cole's attitude. They clearly don't know her.

Looking forward to this WNBL season when maybe Lavey gets to play and we can witness every other point guard take her apart. Brendan Joyce has had the luxury of her inexperience and ability not being exposed because she doesn't get court time so it is almost impossible to prove she isnt up to it compared to other players. With Simon Pritchard singling her out in his press conference (which was bizarre), can't wait for the Bec Cole/Lavey match up. No question who will take the points in my mind. Plus Ebzery, Madgen etc etc.

Reply #527485 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nunawading (Cole) played Bendigo (Lavey) in Seabl a week or so ago. As with every time those two face each other, imo Cole was far superior.

Reply #527489 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cole can play - was she at the first camp? Interesting Cumming went to the first camp but not the 2nd, and Garrick missed the 1st, went to 2nd and is now on tour.

Reply #527490 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

after rio, the team becomes a little clearer . Under 30y.o...
Madgen/1 of cole or lavey
Ohea/Allen/ebzery
2 of Talbot, jarry, kunek or Blicavs
Francis/penaluna/bishop
Cambage/tolo

No Phillips, Taylor, Jackson, hodges, snell, Mitchell.
Girls coming out of college may get a look in.

Reply #527493 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lavey is out of her depth. Same with Burton. The Joyce farce continues.

Reply #527504 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I look forward to perusing the boxscores from the tour matches.

Reply #527505 | Report this post

Needglasses  
Years ago

Has Brendan noticed that Lavey isn't even an elite SEABL player?
Here's a list of SEABL guards that are better statistically and in person than Lavey. Both in past seasons and this season currently:

Lauren Mansfield
Sarah Graham
Kerryn Harrington
Amelia Todhunter

2 of those cant get on a WNBL roster, 1 is a perennial 9th/10th player in the WNBL and the other hasn't been on a WNBL team with a winning record maybe ever.

Reply #527509 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wasn't there some information that came out a while back when Joyce's favourite players started all switching to the same agent? I remember reading some posts about it. Thought it seemed strange.

Reply #527511 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What's the agents name?

Reply #527648 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Burton's out of her depth? Was it her sister who led the Opals in boards at the WCs?

Reply #527661 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Must have been her twin sister that played for Bulleen this season and couldn't catch a cold.

Sample size of an entire WNBL season playing against Opals caliber post players VS a tournament against nations with post players that aren't as good as Australia's

Makes total sense to me. She's a bust. To keep picking her cant be justified in any way.

Reply #527676 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tolo was the teams equal leading rebounder. I'm not sure if her and Burton are sisters.

Reply #527680 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah based on WNBL form and on future potential I'm sure there are better choices for this tour. It's not like she is particularly young. If she was 20 then yeah fair enough but I've already seen enough to know her ceiling isn't Opals level.
Pick someone with actual potential.

Reply #527681 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most of the teams we played in Turkey were a joke.
Racking up cheap stats against those teams means nothing.
If players stepped up in the USA game then yes that is worth something. eg. Tolo did well against USA from memory

Reply #527682 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What's the agents name

This is the fiba client list for fast break sports
Joyce's son was also on a fiormer lost but doesn't seem to appear there now

Geoffrey MCGUIRE (AUSTRALIA)
FIBA licence n°: 2007019552

Company: Fastbreak Sports
Address: 4 Maculata Place, 2525, Figtree, Australia
Office tel.: +61 2 4226 9721
Office mobile: +61 418 241 826
Office fax: +61 2 4226 3710
Office email: [email protected]

Player List
Name Nationality 2nd Nationality DOB Gender
ALLEN, Rebecca Kate Australia 06/11/1992 female
BARTLETT, Everard Verdon New Zealand 06/02/1986 male
BURSTON, Matthew Llewellyn Australia 25/11/1982 male
BURTON, Natalie Australia 23/03/1989 female
CARTER, Rhys Jarred Australia 14/03/1984 male
COENRAAD, Tim Australia 03/04/1985 male
CONKLIN, Brian USA 05/09/1989 male
CREEK, Mitchell Australia 13/04/1992 male
DAVIDSON, Larry Australia 19/01/1983 male
DEMOS, Tyson Emmanuell Australia 03/07/1988 male
ELLIS, Cody Gordon Australia 24/04/1990 male
FISHER, Anthony Kane Australia 24/01/1994 male
HIRE, Greg Australia 19/09/1987 male
JERVIS, Tom 04/02/1987 male
KAY, Nicholas 03/08/1992 male
LAVEY, Tessa Rose Australia 29/03/1993 female
MACLEOD, Kathleen Jane Australia 23/10/1986 female
MARTIN, Rhys Australia Ireland 13/02/1986 male
MARTIN, Damian Patrick Australia 05/09/1984 male
ODIGIE, Owen Australia 18/01/1983 male
SCHERF, Lauren Marie Australia 07/03/1996 female
TOMLINSON, Nate Australia 24/07/1989 male
WAGSTAFF, Jesse Australia 30/04/1986 male

Reply #527684 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What are the tour match dates and times?

Reply #527685 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Burton had 15 boards in 49 minutes in the knockout rounds, including five in 14 mins against the USA. You can argue whether she should make Rio, but claiming she's out of her depth doesn't stack up.

And thanks for anon #527676 for letting us know the WNBL is a better guide for international basketball than a world champs!

Reply #527688 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

She's out of her depth for sure.
She may run the floor well and occasionally have a good game rebounding but she is never consistent nor does she offer anything on the offensive end.

you can't put her ahead of Jackson, tolo, Francis, batkovic, bishop, penaluna can you?
If you can't play both ends, you simply shouldnt be playing at international level.

Reply #527694 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I don't think she was poor at the offensive end watching the tournament - I thought her ability running the floor exposed opponents - and statistically she was third on the team in FG % and averaged 1.5 o-boards in 17mpg.

I wouldn't have picked her for Turkey, no way, but I was wrong. She is now in the mix, and whether she makes it will depend on form in the green and gold, not what she does in the WNBL which is largely irrelevant.

Reply #527695 | Report this post

Waves  
Years ago

What a load of crap. If a player is international standard then they will perform at WNBL level. Name another opal player other than Burton and Lavey that cant perform at WNBL level. Burtons stats last season were the same as her career stats 7ppg and 5rpg just average not OPAL level.

Reply #527698 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Once you are in a national squad you'll stay in the squad if you contribute to the team (which the leading rebounder obviously has), so it's what you do in the squad that counts for future selection.

As one example, Giannis Bourousis is averaging 5 & 4 for Madrid this year, but he was one of the first picked for the Greek squad for the WC last year.

Reply #527699 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

burton was there because...

Jackson, cambage and penaluna were all injured.
Bishop had to deal with all the bs from ba.
Batkovic also wanted to sit out.

Tolo was one of the standouts at worlds.
Francis showed she can contribute even when she got limited minutes.
Both Picked up by the wnba.

Burtons wnba contract?

Reply #527700 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

We're talking about being invited back to the Opals squad, not the WNBA. Does the change in subject suggest you can't discredit the leading rebounder from the WCs being invited back to Opals camp?

Reply #527712 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Once you are in a national squad you'll stay in the squad if you contribute to the team (which the leading rebounder obviously has), so it's what you do in the squad that counts for future selection.

What a load of bull, brendon Joyce has his preferences it's simple

Reply #527716 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

She averages less rebounds in the WNBL than Madgen and Pondexter.

Rationally she's about the 8th/9th best big ahead of Scherf but you can tell by Joyce's WNBL commentary that he rates her in his top 4/5. To even suggest she's even close to being as good as Bishop is downright stupid.

I fear a good player is going to miss out on Rio because Joyce will carry Burton.

Reply #527723 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rationalise laveys spot then she's done diddly squat in wnbl and nothing at squad level yet she's a shoe in for every opals team

Reply #527728 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lavey is just as questionable; I agree.

Reply #527764 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Talbot killing it in the seabl for Canberra...
Averaging:
22 points(8th), 12.7 rebounds(1st), 4.3 assists(3rd), 10 blocks(3rd), 28 steals(1st).
50 fg%, 50 3pt%(1st), 75 ft%

Starter for sure...

Reply #527864 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

28 steals? 10 blocks?

Reply #527881 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Probably season totals, not per game...

Reply #527882 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yes Talbot playing really well at the moment, she is a good player for the future most definetely

Reply #527909 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Garrick missed for Frankston on the weekend with injury - hoped to see her play in Geelong - is she still touring?

Reply #527946 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You would think we would be taking something like this for the Olympics though

Erin Phillips/ Leilani Mitchell
Jenna O'Hea/ Tess Madgen / Steph Talbot
Penny Taylor/ Bec Allen
Lauren Jackson / Abby Bishop / Cayla Francis
Liz Cambage/ Mariana Tolo

Reply #528040 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think Mitchell will make it. Joyce likes defence.
Jackson as a pf? Injuries have really slowed her down. Doesn't have the mobility she once did, Think she would be better off at centre.
Ohea and Talbot are better at sf and Taylor and Allen are better at sg.

Phillips/madgen
Taylor/Allen/ebzery
Ohea/Talbot
Tolo/Francis/bishop
Cambage/Jackson

Reply #528129 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LJ should go as an assistant coach. She has played around 7 games since the last Olympics.

Reply #528130 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jarry hasn't played much either. I would have Talbot ahead of her at this stage.

Reply #528137 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Totally agree. Lavey is questionable. More than questionable. Barely done anything at SEABL level except turn the ball over. And the weekend just gone, the team performed better under the PG control of Chalmers 13pts, 11assists. Maybe why Harrower chose to play her over Lavey.

Cole definitely a better pick than Lavey. But still more dominant PGs in WNBL in line first. Brendan Joyce definitely plays favourite and makes no sense. Just hope it doesn't cost the Opals the chance that they're up for with the talent we have at our fingertips.

Reply #530430 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lavey had a great game...
Burton had a great game...
Same old story...

As defenders they are good...
But, imo they offer little else at this point in time.

I agree, at her current level.
Phillips, Mitchell, madgen, cole, ebzery, Wilson, Wallace and maybe even panousis ahead of her.
One for the future no doubt.

Talbot I think has secured a roster spot in rio.

Reply #530434 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have a read of Joyce's post game press release. Mixed messages everywhere.

Reply #530436 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looking at the stats from that game, opals out rebounded Italy that's about it, Italy still took better care of the ball, we had 18 to their 13 turnovers, italy had 11 steals!
Of course BJ will sing the praises of Lavey and Burton, he has to .
What's happened to penalun a, she injured again, only played 7 mins, snell and Biiclavs didn't pkay at all, Wilson is a far better PG than Lavet so to Garrick, yet she starts over them?.
But at least they hit a win.

Reply #530448 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#530430 - Cole has done her ACL.

Reply #530451 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rio imo
Phillips/madgen
Taylor/ohea/allen
Griffin/Talbot
Tolo/Francis/bishop
Cambage/Jackson
(Jarry if griffin doesn't have citizenship)

Rio in Joyce's
Phillips/Mitchell/lavey
Taylor/snell
Jarry/allen
Hodges/Francis/burton
Cambage/tolo

Reply #530460 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jarry hasn't played basketball in 2 years and she is hurt again. I feel bad for her with what she has gone through although we can probably rule a line through her until she has a stretch of playing basketball.

Same with Jackson.

Griffin - citizenship takes some time and she spends every offseason in the wnba which I think delays things. I doubt it will be cleared in time and she can't really be part of the group until its taken care of.

Reply #530463 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#530451 - I did see that. However the better PG's in Aus ahead of her I was talking about Mitchell, Ebzery, McLeod, Wilson, Madgen just to name a few. IMO I actually believe even SEABL point guards are more than covering her game at the moment.

Reply #530504 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

After watching Wilson in the WNBL I don't think she deserves to play at that level, let alone for the Opals.

As for saying there are SEABL PGs ready, wow who?

Reply #530509 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Opals won Game 2 vs Italy overnight, scraping past the world's 29th-best team 54-51
Haven't seen a boxscore yet but the top aussies (thanks to LoveWomensBasketball.com) were

S. Batkovic 14, K. Ebzery 12, T. Lavey 6 (5 reb, 5 as), L. Hodges 6 (6 reb)

Reply #530537 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Suggest you have a look at the Box Score, it is easily available via BA/FIBA Live Stats.

http://www.fibalivestats.com/u/FIP/127210/lds_en_AU.html

Reply #530538 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Ooh, look at that - very solid numbers for Lavey :O

Reply #530545 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Katie Rae has looked good on this tour.

Reply #530546 | Report this post

Annom  
Years ago

Lavey, is putting up the numbers, isn't it amazing what one can do when given court time.. Get off her back people she is a great girl

Reply #530556 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think anyone has criticised Lavey, it has more been Joyce and his biased push for her which draws parallels with how he pushed Daniel when he was coaching the Blaze.

With enough reps he eventually had some good games although the team wasn't going to win a championship with him playing 30 minutes a game.

If Lavey is the main point guard at 2016 or 2018 the team won't win a gold medal.

Reply #530559 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Wilson getting the start tonight at PG.
(Starting 5: Wilson, Ebzery, Talbot, Hodges, Batkovic)

Reply #530591 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I dont think it said SEABL PGs ready for international, yet SEABL players covering Laveys game, suggesting maybe she isn't... yet! Nothing against her, just Brendans choice over others. Yes DunkenDan, 5 rebounds and 5 assists in 32 + mins. Kelly Wilson also had 5 rebounds, 2 assists and a steal in less than half the time of Lavey. Imagine if she had 32+ minutes!

Reply #530606 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

What's so hard about giving credit where it is due?
Anyone who regularly visits this board would know my thoughts about the Joyce/Lavey combo. That doesn't mean she didn't play a good game last night.
Give me 5 assists + 2 t/o every time if I have to pick between that and 4 assists + 4 t/o.

Reply #530613 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Opals soundly beaten in the final games against Italy.
Solid numbers for Batkovic, Garrick did ok in her 20 minutes, but not much else to be pleased with.

http://www.fibalivestats.com/u/FIP/127211/

Reply #530635 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Certainly doesn't help when joyce basically runs with only half his team, and the Italians use their entire squad.

Reply #530637 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Too many turnovers.

Crazy at that level.

Reply #530639 | Report this post

Annom  
Years ago

Lavey had very solid numbers after coming off the bench. only one player didn't hit the court, snell, they have won the series and was prob resting, and Joyce seeing how future opals go. Shame about the start....

Reply #530644 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stop Katie Rae and you beat that squad.

Reply #530646 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#509 You're an idiot.

Reply #530647 | Report this post

finals995  
Years ago

Well they were flat in the 'dead rubber' game against Italy, but knowing what's coming up next weekend, it's not surprising that players were rested.

Ebzery is ideally suited to the style of game Brendan wants and she really delivered for the green and gold in that series-winning game 2 performance.

Next stop Spain. A great challenge and a great opportunity for the team.

Reply #530691 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

51-80 thrashing at the hands of Spain overnight. Ouch!

Reply #531466 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Spain are the reigning silver medalists from last year's World Champs. they had a full team ahead of their Eurobasket Olympic qualifiers. This was not a game BJ ever expected to win.

Reply #531474 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nat Burton 27 points and 13 rebounds in the Opals final tour game. Awesome performance! Maybe she should be in the Rio 12 after all! :O

Oh wait it was against Venezuela and we bullied them to the tune of 91-25 perhaps some context is needed.

Reply #531653 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:39 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754