sharod
Years ago

Will a Asia-Pac Basketball League sustainable?

Imagine going with a Asia-Pac version of the Europe League, lets discuss if this model a more entertain one and commercially sustainable.

-Team Formation-
(Oceania division)
Australia - 3 teams (top 3 from ANBL except NZ)
New Zealand - 3 teams (NZ Breakers/top 2 from NZNBL)

(Asia division)
China - 3 teams (top 3 from CBA)
Philippine/Taiwan/ASEAN - 3 teams from these regions (Champion from each respective national league)

-Format-
-League run between Jan to May
-Each team plays total of 22 games
-5 away games against each team from the same region
-6 away games against each team from other region
-11 home games
-Two/three imports allowed
-Players born in the same division continent count as local

Topic #37029 | Report this topic

Curtley  
Years ago

In theory this would work but the Asian teams would get pumped. A better start would be for the NBL to arrange its league around the times of the Chinese League and each team should have to recruit one player with an Asian passport (outside of salary cap). The interest in NBL.TV would go through the roof and subsequently make money for the league. I'd say that if for instance the Kings played Adelaide and both teams had a quality Chinese player coming off the bench or starting then millions of Chinese people would pay to tune in on the internet to watch it.

People always say that CBA players get more, therefore wouldn't play in Australia but if they were able to be recruited outside of the cap, most teams would hopefully have connections with a large enough Australia-based business that could pay the majority of this player's contract. Why Perth hasn't lobbied the NBL for this is beyond me. I do however think that a Champions League would be a good idea.

Reply #527454 | Report this post

Hanging Round  
Years ago

NZ would struggle to find 3 competitive teams without quality imports
Would be great to see though

Reply #527465 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

The model is an interesting one conceptually, of course we can contest the structure and conference system all day, however in essence there is merit to this hypothesis.

Reply #527469 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can't get a stable national league going but you want to now go international with all the associated extra costs such as travel?

Reply #527471 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

Would love to see something like this. But i think for it to work, they would need to involve every NBL team separately from the NBL.

I would do it:
NBL First Half - Oct/Nov/Dec
Asia-Pacific Month - Jan
NBL Second Half and Finals - Feb/March/April

During January we would see the NBL teams play in the Aus/NZ conference with the Asian Teams playing off.

Week 1: Conference Round Robin to decide the 4 teams advancing from each region.
Week 2: Quarter Final Series (3 games)
Week 3: Semi Finals Series (3 games)
Week 4: Grand Final Series (3 games)

Reply #527473 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Curtley - that's a great point for discussion!

The language barrier concerns me (for coaches etc), but I think you have a really valid point with regards to Chinese subscriptions for NBL.TV.

Reply #527474 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Millions of people watching two average Chinese players? Good lord this site is delusional

Reply #527476 | Report this post

sharod  
Years ago

In terms of teams strength in this model, the teams should be at least competitive between the top CBA teams and Aussie/NZ league teams given player recruiting system is in a right balance.

CBA teams now contain NBA experienced players and new generation of Chinese national players is picking up with better development.

NZ is also on track developing higher level players in recent years.

Aussie is currently has the top talent pool development advantage within these regions.

Top team from each of these Philippine/Taiwan/ASEAN should not be very far behind given a more flexible player recruitment system to strengthen the team and height disadvantage.

It should be good for the basketball development for the whole area.

Monetary wise, TV viewership could cover regions spread over China, south east Asia, Aussie and NZ that could attract good TV commercials and marketing deals.

I think the upcoming Asia-pacific tournament for 2019 FIBA world champ qualifier may gives a bit indication for a kind of a Asia-Pac competition would be like.

Reply #527484 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

Despite the Filipino league being well supported, no player is allowed to be over 6ft 8, isn't that right?

Reply #527513 | Report this post

rational  
Years ago

can not be successful. I have lived in asia for 7yrs. It will not work . Not enough interest/money to sustain the teams locally never mind internationally.

AFL teams travel from Melb/Syd to perth 2 days before the game. That is 4 hrs travel. Double that from Melb/Syd to Singapore, then add another few hrs to HK/China. The cost is huge, and the money is not there to sustain it.

Reply #527515 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

I live in SE Asia. I work in international sports.

With respect, this has about as much chance of happening successfully as me being the next President of the USA.

1) no-one will pay for it
2) NBA and NBA China are specifically focused on growing Chinese basketball and developing that marketing base
3) no-one will pay for it
4) there simply isn't any love for basketball in SE Asia outside of the Philippines and even then, it's organised horribly
5) no-one will pay for it

The NBA Asia office out of Hong Kong has been looking to put together a "Champions League" style competition for some time now in East Asia / SE Asia in conjunction with FIBA Asia, but it's been aborted because of cost and competitiveness reasons.

The only thing that has a hope of working is a World Championship style 3-4 weeks centralised tournament in one or two specific countries.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but we're a lifetime away from a "Asia Pacific League"

Reply #527537 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well said. Perth or Nz would smash cbl teams.

Reply #527547 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:32 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754