Anonymous
Years ago

former NBA stars in the NBL?

If the NBL desperately need people to attend games, why don't teams sign former NBA stars that can still ball and are looking for a team?!

They could be sold on the lifestyle and language advantages, whilst still getting a moderate payday.

These players could include Rashard Lewis, Jermaine O'neal, and Emeka Okafor. All of which could play, if not dominate, in the league, and none of them were able to find an NBA team for the season.

Topic #37035 | Report this topic

GWB  
Years ago

Seems like someone is late to the party here! It is something they try to do, but very few ex NBA guys pick up that option. China and Europe tend to be their first stops for money.

Reply #527662 | Report this post

crocsfan  
Years ago

We have had ex nba guys...josh childress, jonny flynn, cedric "action" jackson, Will Blalock, Eddie GIll etc. Probably more im forgetting.

Reply #527665 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cedric Jackson was NBA... I never knew that! Actually makes more sense cat can ball. But NBL needs to stay very active in bringing in as many as possible.

Reply #527667 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cedric played 12 NBA games. Makes sense he can ball because he's American though

Reply #527668 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also have to remember veteran minimum in the NBA is around $1m whereas that's your entire salary cap here

Reply #527669 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Okafor is injured and will definitely get signed when healthy. Oneal is all but retired. I think the NBL should focus on bringing rookies who need development over instead of having them play in the d-league. Look how well james ennis did here and how well he's going for the heat now.

Reply #527672 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

If the NBL desperately need people to attend games, why don't teams sign former NBA stars...Rashard Lewis, Jermaine O'neal, and Emeka Okafor
Are you serious?

Reply #527721 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

School holidays I guess

Reply #527722 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

As well as Acie Earl, Winston Crite, Todd Fuller, Rick Brunson, Julius Hodge, etc.

See a list here: http://andthefoul.net/NBLwiki/index.php?NBL%20and%20the%20NBA

Reply #527726 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Thanks for the link, natwhereyouat

I knew it was long but had no idea it was that long.

Reply #527740 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hi, OP here.

No, not a school going child...actually post graduate level educated with a background in marketing and former links to an NBL team.

I do apologies if I have ruffled the feathers of some armchair experts, my inital recommendation was made on the basis of actually getting people (no just basketball fans but grass roots and wider sports going public) to attend games.

My interpretation of NBA means implies those that have played at All-Star level at least somewhere in the span of a career, not merely pine riders, summer league fillers, and 10 day contract hacks.

I'm talking about marketable commodities.

The league is so siloed and insular in its view of broader public appeal, it will never expand to sustainable levels and will surely continue on its current dire, and frankly laughable, path.

Reply #528321 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The NBL isn't or at least has not been in the past, interested in the flashy player or the exciting NBA level prospect ahead of a role player or a player that fits an NBL team's system.

Key in an example, a few years ago Ismail Mohammed an exciting dunking machine was playing SEABL and had a couple of cracks at NBA but just failed to get a look, no one in the NBL however wanted him.

Sadly it is players like him that have potential to excite the league and put bums on seats that NBL teams are apparently not keen on.

I think we would all love to see every roster on an NBL team with an NBA quality player, but not a hack or has been, rather one that will entertain the crowd and give the TV broadcasters a reason to produce highligh reels.

Reply #528323 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:27 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754