Anon
Years ago

WNBL signings thread

Not sure if there is already a thread for this, I can't seem to find it.
Kath Macleod signed with Caps

Topic #37054 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

on a slightly different note, I heard a snippet on the ABC this morning before I got out the car that perhaps a white knight had been found for Lightning anyone shed anymore light on that?

Reply #528038 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bree Farley to SEQ.

Coming together nicely:

Erin Phillips
Bec Allen
Rachel Jarry
Amy Lewis
Nadeen Payne
Bree Farley

Reply #528041 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would guess Langford to SEQ as well

Reply #528044 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Steph Bairstow has signed at SEQ today as well.

Reply #528054 | Report this post

+  
Years ago

whoever got the lightnings plight on the front page of the advertiser did a lot to help their cause - well done !

Reply #528056 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Flames have confirmed
Katie Rae Ebzery
Rohanee Cox
Tahlia Tupaea
Casey Samuels
Hayley Moffatt
Carolyn Swords

Reply #528063 | Report this post

+  
Years ago

swords will do well - sydney need to sign at least 1 back up tall if not 2 - looks like their back court is sound

Reply #528091 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

Did a lot to help their Cause ? So they have found funding. They have till this Friday to do so.

Reply #528100 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Flames have also signed WA Product / Australian U19 Representative Darcee Garbin. Very nice pickup!

Reply #528105 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is a full recap of all WNBL offseason signings here:

http://www.hoopshots.com.au/wnbl-offseason-tracker/

Reply #528111 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Garbin has signed with Townsville, not Sydney.

Reply #528112 | Report this post

GB  
Years ago

Poor thing. Darce has clearly NOT done her homework!!!!

Reply #528117 | Report this post

Andy  
Years ago

Tomlinson and Burton will make an interesting front court at the Lynx.

Reply #528159 | Report this post

Andy  
Years ago

Townsville again will be the team to beat, They wont be beaten for size that's for sure, If other teams don't have at least 2 or 3 quality big girls the Flames will dominate. Even the Fire's guards are big with Newley and their new import Butler both over 183cm.
Bactovic
Francis
Novosel
Garbin
Newley
Butler
Cocks
Gaze
Zelenka

Reply #528163 | Report this post

Andy  
Years ago

^ I meant the Fire will dominate!, geez its catching.

Reply #528164 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Tomlinson and Burton will make an interesting front court at the Lynx."

Louella is an excellent player and really should be in the Opals squad IMO if not the touring 12. Burton can go back to being a bench player as she should be. Perth Lynx are set at the 5 spot.
Pity about the other 4 positions.
According to that off season tracker they have only signed 3 players. Tomlinson, Burton and some American called Whitcomb who looks like a front court player from the photo. No guards and they have definitely lost Lindsey Moore. I thought they were going to come in to the league and make a splash but I guess not. They are already miles behind Townsville, SEQ, Bendigo and Melbourne.

Reply #528173 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A lot of the Waves squad from last year wont be retained. They all received an email telling them if they aren't invited to training camp, don't show. Some have been told verbatim that they won't be required next year. Add to that they have advertised on Seek for players. Sounds messy already for the Lynx, seeing as though a lot of big name Aussies have already been snapped up by Eastern states teams

Reply #528175 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whitcomb is a 2/3. She has dominated the WSBL and has been league MVP in both of the seasons she has played.

Reply #528183 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks for the correction. I was just going based off a photo of her standing next to Burton where she looked pretty tall. I don't know what MVP of the WA league is worth. Not much I would guess? Anyway doesn't change the fact that they have only signed 3 players so far. One more good import isn't going to make them a top team and nearly all of the good aussies are already signed so they have already missed the boat on being a top team this season. About all that is left is Adelaide leftovers. Marino & Mijovic sure aren't going to take them far.

Reply #528192 | Report this post

Greeny  
Years ago

Sammy Whitcomb is getting citizenship, so 2 import spots available. Agree they have to get a move on with signings or there will be nothing left.
Emma Langford would be good.

Reply #528227 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

alex wilson to flames

Reply #528230 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has Whitcomb been in the country long enough for citizenship? Kelsey Griffin has been in Oz longer and is at the PR stage only.

Reply #528238 | Report this post

Greeny  
Years ago

Sam Whitcomb's been here for 3 years

Reply #528240 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is that long enough? The internet tells us you must:

"have been living in Australia on a valid Australian visa for four years immediately before applying which must include the last 12 months as a permanent resident, and not have been absent from Australia for more than one year in total, in the 4 year period, including no more than 90 days in the year before applying."

Reply #528241 | Report this post

Greeny  
Years ago

I don't know if it's long enough. It was reported in the paper on the announcement of the Lynx, that Sam would be signed once her citizenship comes through. So, I don't know if she has even signed, she will be good though.

Reply #528252 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

She will be good, no doubt, I thought the Waves should have signed her to an import spot, I just can't see how she can get a citizenship so quickly.

Reply #528279 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Doesn't sound right to me either but the Wildcats have been known to get past red tape so maybe they are working their tricks for the Lynx as well.

Reply #528300 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is she marrying a wildcat lol

Reply #528309 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Wildcats might try to get their own way, but the other WNBL clubs and BA may have a say in that.

Reply #528313 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No mention of her being anything other than a normal import in this story

http://www.wildcats.com.au/article/id/uv1hqw6py1601ibcb7jdm13jz

Reply #528327 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"We are definitely going after some of the current Australian Opals squad. The girls are doing a tour of Europe pretty soon so we are certainly trying to get a couple of those girls."

Opals squad is
Suzy Batkovic - already signed
Sara Blicavs - already signed
Natalie Burton - already signed
Katie Rae Ebzery - already signed
Madeleine Garrick - already signed
Laura Hodges - already signed
Alice Kunek - already signed
Tessa Lavey - already signed
Elyse Penaluna - already signed
Belinda Snell - already signed
Stephanie Talbot - already signed
Kelly Wilson - already signed

so I don't know who they think they are going to get!!

Reply #528329 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any chance we can bring back the tight lycra basketball uniform, please?

Reply #528330 | Report this post

Greeny  
Years ago

No mention of her being anything other than a normal import in this story

http://www.wildcats.com.au/article/id/uv1hqw6py1601ibcb7jdm13jz

Ok, so she is an import then, that's good. There was an article in The West saying they would sign her when she's got her citizenship. The waves should of signed her over the last 2 years anyway, I've seen her play some great games for flames.

Reply #528331 | Report this post

XXL  
Years ago

just waiting on roberts harper and richards to retire mate

Reply #528332 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/27918379/lynx-to-target-jackson-cambage/

Good luck Andy!!! Jackson is unfortunately past it and Cambage I assume would be targeted in the WNBA and Europe.

Reply #528334 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

Izzy Chilcott and Klara Whishler both playing with the Hobart Lady Chargers have both signed with Perth.

Reply #528340 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the Lynx really want a team to challenge for a championship perhaps they should try adopting the mantra of less talk and more action!

Reply #528356 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did Perth not learn from Canberra who paid LJ $1M for a 3 season contract and got all of 6 games from her in return? By my calculations she has earned about $7700 per minute of court time. Sweet deal if you can get it I guess.

Reply #528357 | Report this post

Adam Gilchrist  
Years ago

He said the club wanted to pull together a team capable of playing a fast, exciting brand of basketball.
"We're probably recruiting a team of greyhounds, to be honest," he said.

If anyone can explain to me how that quote above has any relevance to targeting Cambage & Jackson then I'm all ears.

Reply #528359 | Report this post

Wayne  
Years ago

@528238

How do you know that?

In terms of being a citizen and eligible, is Rio still a possibility or not?

Reply #528369 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Griffin's path to citizenship has been quite public. There was an article in one of the Bendigo papers about her getting her PR and being on the way to citizenship.

If she gets it in time, then she would be a consideration for Rio but I think it may also depend on whether Leilani Mitchell qualifies as the Opals naturalised player or not. If she does, then it may come down to which position has the greater need (which at this stage, IMO, there would be a greater need for Mitchell as a PG despite the fact I think Griffin is the better player).

Reply #528372 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would hope that Mitchell would not be classified as naturalised.

Reply #528387 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Blicavs to the Rangers

Reply #528388 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ibewke to SEQ.

Reply #528390 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who and who from the Chargers have signed with the Lynx?

Reply #528395 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mitchell has an australian passport her mother was australian so she has full eligibility

Reply #528397 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Chilcott and Wischer - you cant be serious - both just OK in SEABL.

Reply #528405 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For a team that have no money, I hope they're not wasting it on McAppion when they still have other unassigned players from last seasons roster. Spirit, today's announcement is a bit of a joke!

Reply #538695 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Canberra Capitals in talks with WNBA point guard

"We are deep in discussions with a US point guard and we are somewhat confident," Graf said. We are not offering the same money as she could get in Europe, but we are looking for a sponsor to help us do that. "Hopefully we'll have some answers next week."

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/basketball/wnbl-canberra-capitals-in-talks-with-wnba-point-guard-to-bolster-roster-for-201516-season-20150918-gjq0f5.html

Anyone got the scoop on who it is?

Reply #550370 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:57 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754