jontron
Years ago

Is this the end of Australian basketball?

with the NBL in dire straights and the WNBL looking worse
could this be the last australia sees of pro basketball for a long time??
or will something else come up and take its place??

Topic #37063 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

The exodus of talent heading off to USA college in both men and women could do one of two things,
Strip australia of good players for the future if they then go to Europe/NBA/WNBA
OR
Make it stronger in the next four to six years if they return

I feel it won't be the later as by then there will be no comp to come too

Reply #528291 | Report this post

TYRELL  
Years ago

how is the wnbl looking worse?

Reply #528292 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Yeah, I saw the news that Earnest Ross was not being signed up for a second season and *I too* thought it meant the end of Australian basketball. Totally know where you're coming from.

Reply #528293 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If they move WNBL to what they are suggesting, shorten the comp , reduce the comp and insist on making un19s stay and p,ay in WNBL, with NO exposure or money coming into the program....then I'd say it's at least on par with NBL

Reply #528295 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree that on the surface the loss of Earnest Ross appears the fatal blow that kills the entire sport in Australia, but the poster above is right I reckon. After calming down, taking a few deep breaths, and putting on my rational thinking hat, I feel comfortable and secure in the knowledge that Justin Hamilton will usher in a new era of prosperity for basketball in Australia.

Reply #528298 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Earnest Ross not signing is not the end of the NBL

Reply #528299 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Actually it probably would be the end of the NBL but it hasn't happened yet so let's not panic. Sure he may not be a Wildcat but there is plenty of time for him to sign with another team, and I am sure that someone out there will do the right thing for the sport as well as their club and make that happen.

Reply #528301 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Are you SURE about that, Jack?

Reply #528304 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who the heck is Ernst Ross?

Reply #528311 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

The Justin Hamilton era is among us.

Reply #528318 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tom, Justin Hamilton will be a revolution in the NBL - might have to move games to bigger venues as there will be many fans wanting to see 'The Ham' in action.....

Reply #528344 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

I heard the mere fact that 'The Ham' was in the country had the TV networks scrambling to sign the NBL up.

I have it from a good inside source that on the back of this the league will be expanding to 30 teams and will rival the NBA within a year.

Justin Hamilton has saved the sport in this country...

Reply #528345 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do people still think Justin Hamilton jokes are funny? So sad

Reply #528353 | Report this post

Peter  
Years ago

Im a fan of The Ham!!
Tats what my t-shirt reads anyway!
$9.95 pick one up!

Reply #528355 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And who is Justin Hamilton anyway?

Reply #528371 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

The jokes are on the Justin Hamilton from Newcastle in the Waratah league. Not the NBA Justin Hamilton. Just to be clear "The Ham" is actually good.

Reply #528373 | Report this post

MRT  
Years ago

The WNBL is doing fine. The worst is there is no tv coverage as yet.

Reply #528378 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This thread is like a cryptic crossword puzzle.

Reply #528381 | Report this post

jontron  
Years ago

WNBL could be losing Adelaide, not a huge loss but still if teams start to fold it will go the way of NBL
they have 7 days... and as much as they arent a big team the more pro basketball teams we have the better right? giving our Australian girls more reason to play basketball right?

Reply #528417 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

Naaahhhh! Losing the Lightning isn't a big deal. Only a 5 time national champion.

Reply #528460 | Report this post

billyhoyle79  
Years ago

i really dont know why everyone is riding this Justin Hamilton guy so hard. Give him a break.

At least he is having a go. The guy is living a dream that the majority of people that post in this forum would love to. He is playing pro/semi pro ball in another country. Which true baller wouldnt want to have a crack at that?

I think everyone here having a crack at someone for promoting themselves, trying to find a job is pretty low.

Reply #528483 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can someone start making some sense and stop talking in riddles?

1. Who or what is Earnest Ross?
2. What relationship does this person/organisation have with the NBL?
3. How is this relationship commensurate to the NBL not existing?

Reply #528498 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:55 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754