MIKE
Years ago

Is there a real heart risk with Basketball?

I hear that 1 in 12 thousand college basketball players die from cardiac arrest on court per year. While that is a small percentage, it does sound like a real risk. If Basketball is played at a more moderate intensity, once or twice a week (and not the same amount as college athletes) and if you have no known heart issues, does Basketball present a real heart risk for that level of exercise/intensity? Also, do any of you know anyone that this has actually happened to?

Topic #37084 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd say a vast majority of these are from undiagnosed conditions rather than the stress of basketball on a young, extremely fit heart

Reply #528539 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've seen a lack of heart be an issue on the basketball court.

Reply #528541 | Report this post

Develop Your Own  
Years ago

You are twice as likely to die at home from any reason as you are to get a heart attack in college basketall (assuming your stat is correct) and I don't see people doing a whole lot abou that.

I've seen some pretty silly posts here, but this just about takes the cake. If this is all you have to worry about, you're either a very sad person or you have very little in life to worry about.

Reply #528542 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep, right up there for stupidististist topic.

Reply #528543 | Report this post

MIKE  
Years ago

I have an anxiety disorder.

Reply #528544 | Report this post

Ho Chi Minh  
Years ago

Coaching some teams cause heart problems

Reply #528550 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Just don't take pre-workout before a game of Basketball. Made that mistake before. Silly me.

Reply #528551 | Report this post

MIKE  
Years ago

I would never take pre workout again. Tried it a few years ago and yeah, not good. I have had all heart tests, ECGs etc. I am not sure why I am worried about dying on court. Probably something to do with the media or something and the anxiety condition. I am hoping to be playing again by end of the year.

Reply #528553 | Report this post

Swagger  
Years ago

Sorry to hear you're struggling with aniexty Mike. Most of the population will at some point or the other, and part of it will be irrational fears. I've been there, but not fearing the same things you are.

But the good news is you will recover and things will get better and managable. You've really got nothing to worry about, keep reminding yourself, and hopefully you get back on court.

Reply #528554 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If your heart scans were all clear then the chances of anything happening to you are absolutely tiny. Hope you get back on court playing your best ASAP

Reply #528556 | Report this post

+  
Years ago

Hey Mike, the good thing is you are aware of your situation and from there you can identify when it appears - when that starts do what brings the balance back for you - it can be exercise, meditation, yoga, a few beers (if you are 18+), going to basketball, medication can also help.

Keep off stimulants if the anxiety is causing issues.

If you are going to have a heart attack - it could happen anytime during any activity not necessarily basketball. Under exertion cardiac conditions can appear and one should always consult their Dr / go to hospital if any concerns or unusual signs or symptoms appear.

all the best

Reply #528557 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Basketball has a high percentage of talls therefore sees players who have associated connected tissues disorders or issues with the pituitary gland that put them at risk of sudden arrest. players with elongated features and vision problems need to be assessed for these or teens with extreme growth. Marfans is one of these conditions. Yes it is true with a higher percentage of height in the sport the greater chance of seeing these conditions and under the duress of the sport or any sport there is an increased risk of arrest per percentage of population playing at high level.

Reply #528559 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/2105853-isaiah-austin-diagnosed-with-marfan-syndrome-ending-potential-nba-career

Example is Isaiah Thomas and I recently saw another player with extreme height being touted as the next big thing. When I saw his rather thick glasses and elongated features I immediately worried for him rather than go wow he is tall and amazing...

Reply #528560 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is all bollocks, surely someone is taking the piss. Get some medical advice, it is a sport.

Reply #528561 | Report this post

MIKE  
Years ago

You all make valid points. It is isnt something most healthy people worry about. I will definitely be back on court by the end of the year, but need to fix my fitness by working into slightly less athletic exercises first. I will just get my yearly normal check ups and play the game I love. I just sometimes want to see how other people think about things, sometimes I want to see how illogical I have become.

Reply #528566 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kareem Abdul Jabaar was extremely tall, had glasses for his vision and did reasonably well I think!

Reply #528608 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm a 125kg 53 yr old fat f*^k with dodgy knees/ankles/shoulders and I can still "run" around in over 45's every week. I either have the best heart in history or this topic is rubbish

Reply #528613 | Report this post

BG32  
Years ago

You put run in quotes yourself so you probably aren't running around at the same pace/ intensity as college kids. Isaiah Austin is a great example. Played college basketball then missed out on the NBA because his heart wouldn't be able to stand the extra stress of NBA basketball. Surprised even d1 college didn't bring it to the surface and very lucky it was caught.

It's definitely not a rubbish topic. There have been deaths on sporting fields (soccer in particular, several high profile heart attacks recently) and if the poster has an anxiety disorder then it's possible that he'd feel worried seeing these in the news. Nothing different to being scared of spiders. Irrational maybe, but based on evidence.

If you're worried, try a sports psychologist or a bit of meditation before a game. Something to relax you and help you get less worked up before a game. If your ECG says your heart is fine then you have evidence that your heart is good to go.

Reply #528618 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

Anxiety can be associated with Cardiac Arrhythmias that cause tachycardias - way too fast heart..that can mimic anxiety type symptoms. Unless yo are hooked up to a halter monitor and they capture it when it is downloaded and documented in a diary and coincides with the symptoms you can not fully rule it out. Anxiety is a symptom of an underlying medical condition and should not be treated with such distain by some. It is not the persons fault and could happen to anyone of us in the future. Be empathetic people and educated as well. If it continues seek further help. It is okay to talk about it.

Reply #528621 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:28 pm, Tue 16 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754