Anonymous
Years ago

Humphries Ranked 51st in US

http://247sports.com/Season/2016-Basketball/RecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool

Pretty cool to see. NZs Tai Wynyard ranked in at 34 too

Topic #37085 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

What's wynyard done to be ranked above humphries??

Reply #528565 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sign with Kentucky and go to the All Nations camp.

The challenge for Humphries is that the US game values a lot of transition baskets and moves in the open court and is moving away from back to the basket post players.

Even look at how Frank Kaminsky wins national college player and yet most draft sites aren't sure how he features as a pro in the NBA due to "who does he guard".

Humphries has a great skillset for a big guy but most ranking lists and mock draft sites are looking at big guys hoping they will be rim-protecting, alley-oop athletes (Rudy Gobert, DeAndre Jordan, Dwight Howard, etc).

Reply #528572 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Anon^ your point I feel is lost on the fact that a player like Jahlil Okafor, whi is a back to the basket type, will always be wanted because he helps his team win games.

Yes, the transition game is huge in the USA and coaches are keen on bigs that can run and play with more than just a stop and hold skill set.

Humphries can do both and I predict he will learn to fit into whatever offence his college coach implements. In time it will only serve to improve him as a player and develop those additional skills he will need the higher the level he plays in.

Rankings are very subjective, he is a gun and I can't wait to watch him and the Aussie class of 2015-16-17 in years to come...

Reply #528598 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wynyard may be a lot of things but he's certainly not an 'alley pop rim protector'!! Humphries is quite ahead of him at this point.. Even timmins is

Reply #528612 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's just the allure of Kentucky that puts Wynyard ahead. Plus Humphries hasn't been playing on the AAU circuit much so he's gotten lost among all of the players. I'm sure he's still the crazy talent we all saw at U17's, and will be a great college player/future solid NBA player

Reply #528623 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They've seen more of Wynyard and Humphries then you, they've also seen less of Wynyard then Humphries and still placed him higher.

Humphries has had plenty of exposure in the us the past year, he's no secret.

He struggles against genuine athleticism and is a below the rim player. On the positive side his ability to space the floor will help him.

Reply #528624 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ You have no idea who I am. I've seen them both play plenty of times.

The majority of scouts in the US have only seen Wynyard play in the Nike Hoop Summit, nothing more. That's why I'm saying the 'Kentucky allure' is why he's ranked so high.

Regardless, I'm not here to argue. Their careers can speak for themselves. We just have to wait and see.

Reply #528629 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No I dont know who you are and Your probably right, I as well think Humphries will have a better career as well due to his fundamentals. He does have major flaws though.

But US scouts are falling too much in love with athleticism, wingspan and potential in there ratings though.

Reply #528631 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I feel sorry for the English language

Reply #528643 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Tai Wynyard had 12 points and 9 boards as a 16 year old in a pre-season game against the Adelaide 36ers who's pre-season team featured 8 of their 10 NBL players and 6 points, 5 boards, and an assist on debut for the Tall Blacks against the Korean men's national team.

Ok Korea is hardly a world powerhouse and Adelaide isn't exactly the bar when it comes to NBL teams ( :p ) but this was a 16yo kid not only holding his own against grown men who are professional athletes but showing them a thing or two.

Steve Adams debut NZNBL season numbers were superior than Wynyards but Adams was older than Tai.

I haven't seen a lot/much of Humphries to compare but has he played much against men or just excelled against kids his own age?

Timmins is very underrated and a lot of people do have him in front of Wynyard but didn't get the comparable exposure.

It is an exciting time for both National programs with excellent talent coming through. Exum is developing at Utah with Ingles, Simmons is going to be a stud and Bogut & Delly look like they might be scrapping it out for a Ring very shortly. Steve Adams is in a good situation at OKC and may be making his Tall Blacks debut soon and Fotu, Lowe, Penney, Webster, Abercrombie and Vukona have all played in strong European Leagues this year which is pretty outstanding and should benefit the Nation program although their are strong rumours that Penney may have played his last game for the Tall Blacks or be not far off.

Reply #528648 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:49 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754