Cherry Picker
Years ago

Qualifying criteria for state champs finals

Just a small case of sour grapes, my team finished on same points as another team that we lost to by a couple of points. Against the other teams we won handily and finished with a lot better percentage. However the tiebreaker was head to head. Now I feel that we were the better overall team over the weekend but missed out due to having one slip up.
I can kind of live with the decision because we should have won the game anyway to remove all doubt, but it feels to me a better team overall was disadvantaged because the whole body of work over the weekend wasn't taken into consideration.

Topic #37096 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

You've already acknowledged that this is sour grapes... Head-to-head is standard tie-breaker when the tie only involves two teams. Same as a team missing out by not knowing the situation in a three-way tie and then crying about it afterwards. % over the whole tournament encourages running up scores against inferior teams and playing percentages against superior ones, both of which are generally to the detriment of junior development.

Reply #528678 | Report this post

Cherry Picker  
Years ago

I totally agree about teams running up scores, during the season I despise it. But these are state champs where we are supposed to determine the best of the best. If the draw is inequal and teams don't play each other once each then head to head is a fair enough tie breaker. But to focus on one game instead of the whole weekend should be looked at in the future. I spoke to a few of the other coaches today that we played and they agreed we should have been the team that progressed.
I mean if team a beat team b, team b beat c and team c beat team a then percentage is used there, why not over the whole comp.

Reply #528684 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Shouldn't have lost to the other team hey

Reply #528685 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So what if the other team played conservatively in their other games to conserve energy for the matchups that really mattered, and that's why their overall percentage wasn't as good? It's tournament play, if you can't win the games that matter, you don't advance. As a coach, learn that aspect of strategy and never be in this position again!

Reply #528687 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also in the three-way tie you mentioned, percentage is only considered for the games between the tied teams. So it still doesn't consider the whole weekend, just one more game than your tie did.

Reply #528688 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Head to head is the best way.

Reply #528689 | Report this post

Pug 47  
Years ago

The main criteria for finals is Sturt. Was there a wailing at Pasadena when the club realised that this might be the last Sturt v Sturt GF (u18s Reserve). I gather next year both State and Rserves will be 10 team comps with two pools and no second Sturt team. Perhaps we can look forward to a more balanced structure and development of Junior grades. Sturt have been running two teams for as long as I have watched B'ball. All 1st years get blooded as the second team and play as a team for two years so it is hardly surprising that the current 18s have actually played for 6 years as a team. But alas no more. What will Sturt do. ;(

Reply #528695 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Pug47, perhaps setup a stall selling tissues, you might strike it rich

Reply #528710 | Report this post

Harry Hopeless  
Years ago

Cherry Picker the ASO is playing in Adelaide soon.

The Premier League uses the same tie break method.

Refer to the FIBA Rule book which details how positions are determined. Next time you play in a tournament, perhaps you'll read the conditions beforehand. Maybe have some sweet and sour Chinese tonight to satisfy you need for something sour.

Reply #528715 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cherry Picker, in a head to head tie, why would you possibly consider any other tie breaker than who wins between the two? It's so obviously logical to do so.

Reply #528720 | Report this post

Vicrig  
Years ago

Alot of you SA are a bunch of winges. Get over yourselves.

Reply #528724 | Report this post

Pug 47  
Years ago

Thanks jack. Looks like you see the same future. Kleenex rules. Do I need man size or just baby wipes?

Reply #528727 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Go the man size for Pasadena

Reply #528734 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Actually Sturt can only get points from one team in State Champs which is what the original post was about.
You all do realise that next year and beyond if they mix their top age and bottom age kids into one BEST of team in Div 2 they will be a whole lot better, not weaker.
Right now if they picked a "best of" group from their two Div 2 teams, that team would probably finish top 4 in Div 1 if given the chance.

Good luck going forward to all of those that think this is a better option

Reply #528739 | Report this post

Pug 47  
Years ago

By having all the BEST players in one team will make Sturt strong. And as you say they would probably be top 4 in Div 1 BUT that would require a change to the competition rules which I don't think is likely.

I think a possible consequence would be that there maybe another 10 players looking for a new home in Div 1 elsewhere. Hence the strength may spread beyond Pas.

Reply #528759 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pug 47,

Do uou suggest Sturt might give back to the community from where they have pillaged in the past?

Reply #528767 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cherry Picker, you should be blaming yourself for not knowing the correct rules on tiebreakers! But hey, congrats for running up the score against inferior opponents whilst the team that beat you played smart, tournament basketball.

Reply #528768 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pug 47,

I know of 3 players who have previously left Sturt and gone back there for the coaching. Players want good coaching and it appears from the last few years results (obviously will be a lot of people disagree) that there are a lot of good coaches at Sturt.
If a player moves away and gets an inferior coach they will not stay.
What is more likely to happen is that kids will drop out of the sport rather than move clubs.
Leaving your mates and a good coach for "greener pastures" of playing Div 1 in a lowly team isn't that attractive.
It will not even the competition up at all as the kids that leave will be those not good enough to get in Sturt's Div 2 team so the club they go to isn't closing the gap.

Reply #528787 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pointless argument.

Apart from 18 Boys this isn't a factor anymore on the Boys side.

Girls is girls. Won't change. There is no depth across the clubs.

No need for further diluting of the talent. All Clubs just need to do better.

Reply #528791 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:27 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754