Train
Years ago

Wildcats targeting Thon Maker

"The Perth Wildcats are trying to woo the 18-year-old elder sibling to play with them next season..."

"But Wildcats managing director Nick Marvin did not hide his want to try to get the extraordinarily talented big man in front of his club's red army of supporters at Perth Arena.

"Given his time in Australia was primarily in WA, we hope he would feel at home with us," Mr Marvin said.

"It would also be a great opportunity for him to continue to improve away from the bright lights and in front of the local fans."

I can't see this happening but would be a massive asset for both Perth and the NBL.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/28032968/wildcats-eye-sudanese-giant/

Topic #37097 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Given his fake age, can see him taking the offer. Word is he is looking to go pro to avoid being exposed in college

Reply #528696 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Harsh anon^, harsh. Maybe true, but still harsh.

Reply #528698 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth's offseason involves talking about random big name players (Cambage and Jackson) with the girls and Maker with the guys to get press during the offseason.

I like the strategy.

They should mention Iverson or T-Mac next.

Reply #528704 | Report this post

MIKE  
Years ago

Probably wouldn't happen, but would be a way for him to get experience and pay cheques leading to a possible NBA gig.

Reply #528705 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ha ha he's worth a DP spot but that's about it.. He will bust. Way overhyped

Reply #528713 | Report this post

A. Bitoni Fan  
Years ago

I would only be supportive of this if he is committed for the full season. If there is overlap between college and NBL seasons then he'd be here for a short term, "promotional" stint of sorts. Not the type of model I want my team to be following - first priority should be compiling a real championship contending team, not a "circus" type show.

Reply #528714 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I guess it would come down to how much the Cats were willing to pay his Pimp, versus how much he would get from College Boosters.

Whilst its plausible that "difficulties" over his actual age, have kept him from junior representation, I doubt that would be a problem at College.

Reply #528719 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

nbadraft.net has him going 30th overall in the 2016 draft. Draftexpress has him going 28th. He's going to have to play somewhere if he wants better results than that. Don't think there are many people left buying into the hype machine.

Reply #528721 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This thread lacks credibility although I would be interested to know what hoops expert GWB has to say on the matter.

Reply #528728 | Report this post

GWB Impersonator  
Years ago

He could potentially be an asset to the team down the track with some experience and improvement but he'll never be a Cam Gliddon

Reply #528731 | Report this post

GWB+  
Years ago

I'm not sure about these Sudanese chaps to be honest. Being from WA I am surprised Perth haven't gone after Cam Gliddon

Reply #528738 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Hahaha. Oh I love it. Not sure I would have Thon at centre though. Thats a position more suited to Cam Gliddon.

But on the real, though.. I am surprised to learn Thon has slipped to 30th after talks like he was a possible number 1, and the next Kevin Durant. Anything could happen with this kid between then and draft day. Will be interesting to see. He could do worse than pocket some NBL dollars.

Reply #528745 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

He could always get a gig in the NBL as a last resort. His best bet is to go to College and work on his game.

Reply #528754 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did you see him at the Nike Hoop Summit?
He was out of his depth. Everyone else in the recruiting class has selected a college except him so seems doubtful he wants to go to college. I wouldn't be surprised if he is taken second round of the 16 draft then never heard of again.

Reply #528758 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Looking like the next Ater Majok and certainly not Cam Gliddon

Reply #528761 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

haha there is no way Thon is 18 - Closer to 25.

Reply #528774 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

Getting a bit tired of the Wildcats' pursuing so called big names every off season.

I can't see this happening, it very rarely eventuates when they do go after someone like this, and to be honest, would rather the Cats get someone more realistic who wants to play here and help contend for a title.

This just sounds like their drumming up support to get more members to sign up.

Reply #528779 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The way the league is headed they will be able to have the best team with no one to compete against.

Reply #528797 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How old is he ? and how many of these Sudanese kids through out Australia not playing in the right age groups. How would that effect his College option ?

Reply #528803 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Haz, the wildcats know how to generate talk and interest. The move is highly unlikely, however, nothing wrong with talk. They can talk about getting Lebron James in the team if they want, and if it gets people talking about the Wildcats and the NBL in a way which isn't another "on deaths door" story, then I am all for it.

As for going for big names, what other big names have they really gone for and not got? They got James Ennis, they got whoever that dud was last year, I don't remember them talking about anyone else?

Reply #528804 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I reckon the Wildcats should be chasing proven guys like Josh Childress, maybe Sam Young, that type of resume

given they are a strong club with good $$$ to spend, i dont see why they need to gamble on young guys all the time, for every James Ennis there will likely be 10 that are more like DeAndre Daniels,

Maker will be an interesting one, to see how his career goes, but to me he hasnt played at a high enough level to prove himself either way imo, so i wouldnt be spending big $$$ on him at this stage, regardless of his hype/potential.

Reply #528820 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

I Agree with GWB, if it gets people talking about it and in the media then whats the harm ? People whinge when there is no NBL talk then they criticize it when there is.

Reply #528822 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

No I also agree with getting the media talking, and the Cats are great at this. I just think it would be better in the long run to give fans a realistic pursuit to aim for when they're targeting players.

They have already mentioned this offseason that Josh Childress is on their radar, but no follow up was made about that, which was a while ago now and has died down a bit. Im guessing the Thon Maker pursuit will die down too if there is no genuine follow up or intent to actually sign him.

Its a long shot, and I don't believe there is anything in it. Im just a bit skeptical about it that's all.

Reply #528826 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Josh Childress signed in Sydney due to specific business opportunities - outside of basketball - in sydney. If Josh is in the NBL next season, you can bet it will be in Sydney. Perth could have all the aspirations they want for Childress, but money is not his key motivation.

As for Thon, who really knows with this kid? He is a kid after all. I don't see him flying back to be a development player in the NBL. Even though he hasn't proven himself yet, I think on his hype alone he could yield more than a development spot in some league somewhere else. If they were giving him an actual roster spot it might be a different story. Sure, he doesn't justify a roster spot yet (he is no Cam Gliddon) but, he could reasonable barter for one somewhere. In the end, Thon will do what his minder wants, and what gives his NBA chances the best shot. THat will likely be college.

Other than get in the way of the league making bigger decisions, I dont have an issue in anything Perth has done. They will have another draft pick import this season I am sure.

Reply #528871 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

College will only help his NBA prospects if he gets better. He needs to give himself time to play and develop, without being a superstar who's constantly pandered to by everyone around him. Would love to see him at Michigan State or Kansas. Tom Izzo and Bill Self would do great things for him.

Reply #528890 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

College would expose him and destroy his nva prospects.. He should go to China and earn some $.. He could get a decent contract from the Chinese based on the hype.

Reply #528892 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

I understand his field goal percentages are fairly terrible?

Reply #528893 | Report this post

EurythNicks  
Years ago

Thon, in my side
You know that's all I wish you were

Reply #528900 | Report this post

Red  
Years ago

Cats also have Todd Blanchfield on their wish list.

Reply #528905 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So they should. He would be the perfect fit for their hole at the 3.
I'm sure everyone has Todd on their wish lists. Seriously quality player.

Reply #528907 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Thon Maker's going to college, ruling out potential overseas Pro League offers:

http://tinyurl.com/kyxovld

Reply #528936 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:14 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754