cat no go
Years ago

Portable hoops, your verdict

would be interested to read from hoopers who have their own Portable hoops at home. Can u tip over the water based units. do you land on the base when dunking or laying it up. Does the backboard and ring start to bend down after a few months of use. Does your unit shake like its in an earthquake when the ball hits the backboard. how much did u pay and is it value for your dollar

Topic #3711 | Report this topic

Bizzy  
Years ago

I haven't had any problems with my portable hoop. Backboard isn't as springy as I would like but it's fairly safe if your not hanging of it all the time. I still prefer a ring either on a frame or in the ground but the portable ones do the job.

Reply #43194 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Portables are OK, but if you're filling them with water, make sure you top it up every now and then. Otherwise a strong wind can blow it over.

Reply #43198 | Report this post

igotmadskills  
Years ago

Fill them with sand and they are better as the sand is heavier than water but it makes them a little harder to move.. The backboards never have the same rebound to them so banked shots from the corner arent as consistent. In all instances you get what you pay for the expensive ones i have found have better backboards. some of the huffy ones just have plastic backboards that arent reinforced.
Great fun though as we all love dropping the height to 9 foot..

Reply #43222 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

some useless information for you:

after that kid in w.a. lost his hands & feet when he ripped down a wall whilst dunking, some councils declare that all rings must be taken down before a house is sold (obviously not portables), or council approval gained to keep it where it is.

Reply #43233 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

I have a Huffy portable hoop which has a metal frame around the backboard - this makes the unit more sturdy.

There is no proglems with it tipping over as it comes with a corkscrew like steak which you screw into the ground and attach to the back of the unit.

Reply #43265 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

And the bonus is you can eat the steak when you are finished.

Just thought I'd get in before anyone else :)

Obviously I meant stake as in like a tent peg.

Reply #43266 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:35 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754