Assistant Adam Johanson
Assistant Simon Mitchell
High Performance Coach Eric Hollingsworth
Development Manager Petah Gibbs
Basketball Operations Tommy Greer

Topic #37121 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not a great advertisement for D-Mac whom the Tigers always kept around. Seven coaching positions from HC to nothing.

Reply #529267 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

D-Mac should get an assistant gig somewhere in the NBL. Townsville maybe?

Reply #529271 | Report this post

Greggo  
Years ago

don't think he'd want to leave Melbourne (the city, not the team)

Reply #529276 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I thought Perth were bad"

How on earth is being professional a bad thing?

Reply #529285 | Report this post

billy hoyle  
Years ago

Happens all the time in NBA and college.....If you dont win you dont keep your job and when a new Head Coach gets their opportunity they bring in their own guys.....

Reply #529289 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth had 4 assistants last year.Money could be better spent in other areas.

Reply #529302 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Anon^, I would love to know where you believe those areas where the money needs to be spent are?

I would also like to know if you are awae of how much work is involved in the operation of an NBL franchise team these days?

Yes, teams need to be careful of how they spend, but the professionalism of every team needs to improve and with this comes success and with this comes more dollars and a better league, generally speaking...

Reply #529303 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rumor has it Townsville are getting a young coach from NSW as their AC.

Reply #529304 | Report this post

O  
Years ago

Sam Gruggan

Reply #529305 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How can more jobs in basketball be a bad thing?

Reply #529308 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

I think its a total overkill.2 or 3 too many.Better to invest in injury management and things like that so you keep your players out on the floor.

Reply #529309 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Hollingsworth the ex athletics guy?

Reply #529310 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Correct.He wont be coming cheap....

Reply #529312 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah I also herd Gruggen has the AC gig up in Townsville. Maybe a bit too young and inexperienced for NBL

Reply #529314 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You've included a front office person in Tommy. Essentialy the strength and conditioning guy and I don't know what the Development Manager does although I assume its also the front office.

Should we inlcude Slepoy and Kestelman to the list as they might sit near the bench and the sales, social media and game casual game day staff on the list?

Reply #529315 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How can you know until you know what each of them do? I could easily see those guys all being busy doing different things.

Reply #529316 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

in a footy club the football manager or football operations manager all come under what they generally call "football department" spending...

You probably should look at the above as "basketball department" as opposed to commercial, membership, etc.

Reply #529319 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So HO - Vince C should also be on this list?

My point is I don't think its overkill. Assistants will have video work, individuals to run, analytics to update, scouting notes to prep and update.

Front office have plently of admin and community engagement to run.

Its clear they want to be like Perth and are putting the pieces in place to achieve their goals.

Reply #529320 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

No, at what Footy club is the CEO considered part of the football club or considered in "football department spending"? While it says coaching staff its probably better to consider the basketball ops manager as part of a broader group dedicated to the success and performance of the team.

I don't know whether it is overkill or not, its also not apparent to me that these guys are all FT.

Reply #529321 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mitchell gets a gig because of ties to the CEO? Is that the same guy who jumped ship from Franga and left them in the lurch?

Reply #529323 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Talk to anyone who's been coached by Mitchell and they'll tell you what a great coach he is. Talk to anyone who's been a HBO and they'll tell you that 90% of their job is admin related. You say he 'left franga in the lurch', I say he seized a great opportunity. When you're good you get head hunted and then hard decisions have to be made. No doubt the decision to leave Frankston, where he was putting in the hard yards to help steer the club in the right direction was a tough one. As a Frankston parent, I thank him for his hard work and wish him well with United.

Reply #529328 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nice to see they went for a experienced operations manager

Reply #529334 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its not what you know its who you know these days....

Reply #529360 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Eric Hollingsworth???

What a joke, the man left the Olympics in disgrace.

Reply #529364 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

529328 Sounds like you're related - little touchy on this subject.

What would Hollingsworth bring to this program - nothing.

Reply #529373 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#529373, sounds like you know nothing, what would you know about what Hollingsworth would or wouldn't bring to a program? Are you from Athletics Australia? Have you had business dealings with him? I doubt it. You're clearly a sad sack that likes to take pot shots at people they don't know from the safety of their computer. Your parents must be very proud.

Reply #529395 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree.

Reply #529400 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:53 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754