Things on the up
Years ago

Merge associations Steelers & MDBA

With Pirotta now gone (unsure where he has gone to as a GM) and only 12mths left on the nutters rain at Mornington might be a good time to merge. They are both bleeding the area dry of talent (especially Breakers and Blues). Give them an association of significance and build it into a powerhouse, Breakers now a cashed up and their domestic and rep comp superior to Steelers, the Steelers need a better domestic comp for its kids......obvious choice is work together and stop thinking of themselves and think of the kids and the benefits to the community.

Topic #37165 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any minutes from MDBAs AGM?

Reply #530528 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Probably, all AGM's have to be minuted.

Reply #530529 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Merge quickly. My understanding, from papers handed out, mdba going to spend $140,000 - $150,000 on coaching and aiming for no fees for big v players for 2016.
Merge would give great depth of players and strong teams and competition biut who would run it and bigger question who would decided on this.

Reply #530533 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Surely there are better targets for merger than this.

Blackburn and Nunawading?
Ringwood and Knox?
Dandenong and Cranbourne?
Frankston and Chelsea?
All of the Associations playing at MSAC?
Geelong and Corio Bay?

Reply #530543 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is two parts to the merger, domestic and representative. There was a testing of the water several years ago by MDBA about taking over the rep program. At that time Breakers were a lot stronger. Comparing the two now, Breakers are still stronger than Steelers (more teams in VJL). Definitely a benefit in merging the rep program. By the way HO, Frankston and Chelsea merged a while back, Chelsea left to go it alone.

Reply #530561 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

You really haven't provided any reasons.

Are they actually cannibalizing each other in terms of rep now or domestic or is that just an assumption?

The sum is not always better than the individual parts.

Having said this, if they were in the same municipality it might be worthwhile from a relationships perspective.

Reply #530566 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

HO these 2 associations are the 2 weakest of the 4 Peninsula clubs, Frankston there is no need to merge and South Peninsula are going along OK. It's only logical for these 2 associations to merge thus strengthening the domestic which in turn strengthens the rep program. It's probably more beneficial for WP but Breakers will also benefit by the increase in domestic and increasing the catchment rather than losing kids to Sth Pen or Blues. They would hopefully be able to offer a better domestic comp, bigger domestic comp and an increase in quality rep teams is sure to follow.
For it to happen some people would have to swallow some pride but unfortunately human nature always places their own selfish needs ahead of the kids so talks will not get off the ground until one or both are in trouble.

Reply #530576 | Report this post

Birdman  
Years ago

WPort is financially unstable, has been for years. Mornington getting stronger financially. The domestic program at WP is weak, the junior rep program is not strong either in terms of success and strength, senior teams are relatively strong (take the imports away and that changes). Breakers have a strong domestic comp, strong junior rep teams but a weaker senior rep program. Both Associations are in the same municipality. I agree a merger is something to look into however personality's and parochialism will be the main stumbling block. Personally I would only merge the representative programs not the associations.

Reply #530579 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Definately look to merge both junior and senior programs. Mornington junior rep more teams but ranking have been dropping past couple of years and 2015 first year no teams in VC or VC/R. Starting point but who to run and how would decisions be made. Many personalities - who would stand back - couldn't see too many hands put up to step aside and let others run it.

Reply #530610 | Report this post

Billy Hoyle  
Years ago

Why not include Southern Pen?

Reply #530611 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Billy I think Sth Pen would be a great merge for all 3 but they are running to the beat of a completely different drum to these other 2 and they seem to be doing well on the outside. Firstly they don't have WP finacial or domestic issues, Sharks have their own stadium in the pipeworks (WP spend a fortune on hire fees) and they don't have Breakers COM issues to my knowledge. It's only logical that these 2 struggling clubs merge.

Annon 530610 lets be a little gentle on the junior Breakers it was the 1st time that they had had 7 teams that started grading with a chance to qualify for V. Secondly due to a couple of silly rules they cut some extremly good players on the boys side. This will be the first of many years of no VC if they decide to stick with no one outside the club (including you must have been a registered domestic player for 12mths and played 50% to qualify to be considered for selection) so I don't listen to that rubbish about VC cause you can't swim with your hands tied. COM will place their teams in worse positions if they think their junior rep program can Holy and Souly survive off it's own internal programs; they believe they can polish turds.......I believe their better players will walk to better placed clubs.

Reply #530620 | Report this post

Billy Hoyle  
Years ago

Anon^
was thinking more of a consolidation of basketball on the Peninsula. I think SP have the quality covered, but are definitely the smallest of the three. If the other two merged I think SP might struggle to match them, especially for government and sponsor dollars. And considering the new enity is so much larger, they may also begin losing players to them over time.

Reply #530632 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where did Pirrotta go?

Reply #530767 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No idea, he is finishing off coaching his junior team then off to wherever. I hear he has already started.

Reply #530776 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:17 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754