BALLER
Years ago

Mid season team swap in VJBL

Hi all I currently play at the VC level in VJBL, and I was wondering if it would be possible to drop down to a lower team at my club? I currently don't get many minutes and feel that a swap to a lower team would be more enjoyable for me. Are there any regulations that may interfere or not allow me to achieve this?

Topic #37166 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Generally, and I say generally once you step on the court in a team in the first round of grading phase two, that's it, that's your club and that's your team for the rest of the year.

You can apply to swap clubs, or swap teams, but you would need a really good reason, and not getting minutes is probably not one of them.

You can have a go but I think you're stuck.

Reply #530535 | Report this post

lolol  
Years ago

it can happen your club can apply to the league to have you switched down to a lower team if you have permission from your club and all it is to convince the league to do it

Reply #530544 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For them to allow you to swap it would need to be extenuiting circumstances.....minutes is not one of them. I tried, as a coach to move a player who was struggling in VJL 1 and we were only 3 games into the season; the VJBL stated that her struggling for minutes, confidence and on the verge of walking from the game wasn't extenuiting. If you say your being bullied they then ask why isn't the club implimenting their policy to have mediation.
Basically your stuck till the following season but by all means make a request but don't get your hopes up.

Reply #530621 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Or you could just work your ass off and get better rather that feel sorry for yourself.

You won't et anywhere with that attitude.

Reply #530627 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ask to become a development player only. You train with the team but do not have to attend games. This is not ideal but keeps your child interested and allows you to stay at your association. Very hard to sit on the bench week after week both for you and your child

Reply #530629 | Report this post

Years ago

As 530627 said, why don't you try working harder and being a team player on the bench (refer Patty Mills a season or two ago) instead of sulking about it & looking for easy minutes.

Reply #530700 | Report this post

Is that advice  
Years ago

Here is a thought the kid is not Patty Mills and want's to enjoy his/her bball. Kid do what feels right for you.

Yes work harder blah blah blah , stop whinging blah blah blah and put the team first over yourself. I am sure that the last few anon's have given this speech to their kids NOT.

Reply #530703 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The bigger issue is why not allow teams to field their best players in VC? Why not be like footy and allow kids who improve during the season to go up and those who are found in need of more minutes to go down? Surely the rules can be written to satisfy this and still keep everyone happy????

Reply #530751 | Report this post

BALLER  
Years ago

Yeah sounds good i'll just become Patty Mills, great advice thanks for your contribution i really appreciate it. You must be a very knowledgeable person.

Reply #530780 | Report this post

Years ago

With an attitude like that I'm wondering why your coach doesn't play you!?

I never said BECOME Patty Mills, I referred to his attitude and work ethic. Two things you are lacking by the sounds of it.

Reply #530818 | Report this post

Hey Bud  
Years ago

If you had have been selected for the lower div in the first instance would you have been disappointed? If yes then work harder and outplay in training the player that's taking your spot on the court.

If no maybe quit go play a social comp somewhere for fun and big minutes instead of rep and making a name for yourself in a tough comp.

Chose wisely Padwan

Reply #530826 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have for years been amazed that junior teams in VJBL (and NSW) nearly all run 10 players. There is NO way that everyone can get a decent amount of time in a junior game (either 32 mins or running clock) with that many players.
It is one thing SA does really well - keep team numbers usually to 8 or 9.

Reply #530841 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm disappointed that I have to write this. I have seen this exact issue for a long time now. One of my kids has made VC Rep teams, State Junior Teams & Australian Junior Teams. I sympathize with the OP. I know where he/she is coming from. My kid played in 5 Junior State teams, has represented Australia at the Junior Level. So that meant making U18 & U20 State teams as a BOTTOM AGE player. But even my kid suffered with lack of minutes at the U14VC & U18VC level? Go figure? At the end of the day, not being biased here, it was the coach's personal preference at the time, nothing more, nothing less.

For me there is too much emphasis on winning, certainly at the VC level.

Let's face it basketball is a great sport, it keeps kids off the street, keeps them fit and not obese, teaches team values, discipline, responsibility, respect, commitment, etc. But all the kids want to do is play - PERIOD!

The real issue I have is that on any given Friday night in Victoria there are probably 100's of kids, maybe a thousand or more that don't get much or any court time.

As a sporting code and a Junior one at that I ask is that OK????????

I know what the Ausport Code of conduct says in this regard. It is something along the lines of "play all, not just the talented ones".

Part of all player's learning and improvement process is to put in practice what they learn at training. Well if you never or rarely get on the court how can you? The typical response from a threatened coach is to blame the player or the parent/s. I have a different viewpoint - it is the coaches responsibility to only pick a player who they think can play at that level and not only to make up the numbers for a training squad. It is also the coach's responsibility to improve the skills and abilities of ALL players. Wouldn't it be better for the team if you have 10 valuable contributors, rather than relying on 2, 3, 4, 5 or 6 regular players?

I think Basketball, certainly at the Rep level turns a lot of parents and kids off the sport for this very reason. If you turn the kid off the sport, do you think when that kid becomes a parent they will recommend the sport of basketball to their kid/s? I think I know the answer to that! Is this how you grow a sport? For too long basketball talks about numbers in the sport, but it is a bit of a false economy as there is always new players coming into the sport, the 5, 6, 7 Year olds feeding the bottom of the ladder. How many leave the sport, that is the $64,000 question and for what reason/s?

At the end of the day, most kids who play VC go nowhere with their basketball, relegated to playing midweek Women's or Men's comps.

I have for a long time wished the powers that be would mandate minimum court time at Rep Level.

Reply #531044 | Report this post

Southern Joe  
Years ago

While I agree with the essence of what you say, no matter which way you spin things, the cream will eventually rise to the top. Even a player like Shane Heal apparently played very little or no state team representation during his formative years.

We shifted my youngest son from one club to another as we believed there was a pecking order at the club he started playing rep with.

The only problem I would find with mandating minimum minutes for players is that some kids wouldn't work their arses off a s much because at the end of the day they will still get a mandated amount of court time.

I would say go to a club where teams are picked by a committee ( NOT the coach) & where the coach is as independent as can be ( ie .. he's not coaching the team his son plays).

My understanding is that any VC team can get a fill in ( my son's previous club's VC team did that to cover a long term injury).

However.... a Met or regional team can't do the same as I was told there's always the risk of a ring in filling in & skewing the competition.

Reply #531060 | Report this post

Anonz  
Years ago

Wow this thread turned to crap.

Responders should be mindful of the fact that they don't know the Poster, and to all intents and purposes this young person may be a 12-13yo playing U14 VC.

Would you like someone speaking to your son/daughter like this?

And the mandated minutes thing is just silly. Who's going to police it? How is it fair? And at the upper end (age), how does it prepare an athlete for VBL/SEABL?

This is Rep Basketball we're talking about, minutes are earned, and a good Coach rewards work ethic and training effort. Domestic comps are for equal minutes.

Baller, the simple answer is no, you can't just 'elect' to drop down to the 2s or 3s.

VJBL Rule 3.6 covers this, and there is no provision at all for a player moving down.

Speak to the Coach, if possible, and explain how you're feeling. There's obviously a reason you were selected for VC, although there's also possibly a reason your minutes aren't great. Bear in mind also that we're halfway thru the VC season, so less than 3 months to go.

The VJBL rule in question is here :

http://www.vjbl.com.au/index.php?id=26

Can I ask, what age level are we talking about, and are you top-age or bottom-age? (Don't name the program/club).

Reply #531089 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To the OP, you can't change teams or clubs mid season.

^That is the sort of typical response I would expect from a coach. Rep basketball eh. It would be if there was only one team selected to represent an association. Once you get past VJL1, a lot of associations domestic A Grade comps are just as good.

What other sports select more than two 'Rep' teams in the same age group?

Once you get down to 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th teams the standard is terrible.

Reply #531235 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To the OP, you can't change teams or clubs mid season.

^That is the sort of typical response I would expect from a coach. Rep basketball eh. It would be if there was only one team selected to represent an association. Once you get past VJL1, a lot of associations domestic A Grade comps are just as good. So don't hide behind the veil of it being Rep basketball.

What other sports select more than two 'Rep' teams in the same age group?

Once you get down to 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th teams the standard is terrible.

Reply #531240 | Report this post

Develop Your Own  
Years ago

I have said for a long time that rep ball should be the elite of every association in an elite competition. Unfortunately the old adage 'let the kids play' has taken over and we now see some clubs with 5, 6 or more 'rep' teams in each age group in regional competitions that are nothing better than B grade domestic.

So the last couple of posters are IMO both right.

However we digress from the original topic.

To the OP, yes you won't be able to drop, but I would suggest that you speak with the coach, ask what it is you have to do to work on your game, and make sure he or she sees that are actually doing it, ask what you need to do to get extra minutes. If you do all that he or she says, then they will find it very difficult to not give you more court time. You will be better, the team will benefit and everybody wins.

Most importantly, don't drop your head, work harder and you will get better. It will happen if you make the effort. Good luck, be patient and you'll get there.

Reply #531250 | Report this post

Reason  
Years ago

Is there maybe a reason you aren't playing the minutes you want? Like not attending trainings/ enough trainings? Certainly as a coach I'm more likely to play the kids that come to training over the others. Even if those kids who aren't attending training are more talented. However if you are attending those trainings and doing well then maybe you should speak to your coach about it

Reply #531303 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The fact that Reply no #531235 just said that the standard of VJL1 and below is terrible is extremely disrespectful and incorrect.

I'm very sorry that not every player is given god's gift of basketball skills like you claim to be.

I played in the U14-7s team at my representative club in my first season. I finished by making the U18-1's and playing at VC level.

So did 3 of my team-mates.

And I also went through seasons where I didn't get on the court, played no minutes in some games and even drove up to 2 hours to get to a game to not even step on the court. But that never made me give up. If you consider giving up because of not getting on the court, then maybe thats the right choice for you. You need to be enjoying your time at basketball, and whether you are in the 1's or the 7's, train hard and show your coach why you deserve more court time.

Good luck to you mate - whoever you may be.

And reply #531235 pull your head out of your ass and respect kids playing basketball at all levels.

Reply #541160 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:55 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754