Happy Days
Years ago

Wollongong Hawks are BACK!!!

The Wollongong Hawks are pleased to announce the deed of company arrangement proposal has been accepted by creditors allowing the club to compete in the 2015/16 NBL season and extend their 36 year history in the NBL.

The deed was unanimously passed through by creditors, a majority of whom are employees of the Hawks and ensures all their outstanding superannuation is paid and leave and service entitlements honoured.

The club was placed into voluntary administration on March 2 and since then have been working closely with the NBL, the players association and the administrators to ensure the best possible outcome was reached for all parties.

General Manager Kim Welch said the lengthy process had been worthwhile, and the support shown from the local business community had helped secure the clubs future for the upcoming season.

"The support from the community has been very encouraging and we thank the fans for their patience. It was important we took our time working with all the relevant parties to ensure we got this right," said Welch.

“Of course this wouldn't of been possible without the great support from Multi Civil and Rail who are set to become the clubs new major sponsor, and the recommitment from Wollongong Coal, McDonalds Illawarra, SKS and all the great local businesses that have already pledged their support for season 15/16”.

Topic #37182 | Report this topic

Matthew  
Years ago

Awesome! Thanks for the news.

Reply #530848 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has andthefoul.net confirmed this news? Will they remain the Hawks flagship media partner?

Reply #530849 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

I got it off the website but andthefoul had tweeted it first to bringing it to my attention. Good news for the Hawks but i do feel for local businesses that have been left out of pocket.So who now owns the club?

Reply #530850 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How long they gonna last this time.... Its getting beyond a joke. Every off season same negative media attention, throw a team together at the last stroke of midnight and win a few they shoulnt based on heart and grit but never really achieve much. Yawn. Big league needs big city basketball. Just being real.

Reply #530854 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree with #854. I hope that the Crocs and Hawks teams for this season are just placeholders until some big city teams that are run properly can step in to the league.

Reply #530858 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

^ Agree to some extent, though I'm a little more sympathetic :) The Hawks really need to get their act together and start growing as a club and supporter base. They're always playing catch up and I'm quite frustrated as an NBL fan to see them constantly struggle each year. It's not good for them, but its also not a good look for the league.

Let's hope the new look NBL with Kestleman's funds can see clubs like the Hawks finally get some off court success and actually grow. They've been around long enough ;)

Reply #530859 | Report this post

tim behrendorff  
Years ago

Will people in the gong boycot the club after they left various people and business out of pocket?

Reply #530860 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

God help them if they do! Hopefully it doesn't come to that, but the who ever is in charge has a lot of trust and ground work to do in getting people on side. The Gong isn't a big place, people talk, and it'd be a shame if there was a boycott of any kind. This franchise needs to flat out put a big time team together, mediocre wont cut it anymore. Sincere goodluck to them...

Reply #530862 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

feel bad for the creditors

Reply #530870 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

I note the "deed was unanimously passed through by creditors" which suggests the out of pocket creditors are still supportive of the team. So a boycott seems unlikely. It's probably a case of most creditors having an interest (altruistic but more likely financial) in seeing the Hawks continue.

Reply #530878 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Win a few games?

Hawks made the playoffs the previous two years before Jahii Carson and that giant dude derailed any chance last year.

Reply #530881 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They made the playoffs with a losing record. YAY!

Reply #530884 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Second to last anon needs to take it easy. Save the team spirit for the 'get a signature' nights. It is what it is.

Reply #530910 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

They made playoffs with a losing record and missed playoffs with a winning record. What's your point?

Reply #530913 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Point is they will never be any good.

Reply #530917 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

Are they already on life support for next season.....they'll only spend half the salary cap on the team, play in front of 1500-2000 supporters in a 5k capacity stadium, from the most fickle and pathetic fan base in the competition. And will they sign 2 undersized imports that play in the same position again to really drive the membership base up.......Simply seriously pathetic, but hey, if it means this 8th and final team for the up coming season actually lets the comp go ahead, I'm all for supporting patheticness.

Reply #530920 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Whats there budget for this season?

Reply #530927 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

According to @SimonBrunsdon from @mercury_sports the coach is not going to necessarily accept a contract offer and several players have been employed already so it could be a vastly different looking Hawks team next season.
nbl.com.au is slow to update, what Hawks have signed for other teams?
Great to see them back though.

Reply #530928 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Hopefully Forman comes back to Adelaide...we need a sniper on the arc.

Reply #530929 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

I didn't notice any "big city teams" from Aust in the GF did you?
Ease up and give the Hawks a chance.

Reply #530935 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So the Hawks owe the league over half a million dollars, which will not be paid back, yet so many want to hang the former board members out to dry for not doing enough for the league? Thats bullshit.

Isn't Spencely mates with Kestelman? The guy who wants to fund the league makes an offer, when he knows that his mates club has backed themselves and the entire league in a corner, which they have no choice but to accept? I'm dumbfounded that people are impressed by any of this.

Reply #530936 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

I wonder how many of the core group will be resigned or may have already moved to another club/

Reply #530983 | Report this post

Cameltoe  
Years ago

Correct #530936 Spencely ownership is for Kestelmann's benefit only. 2/8 of the league cornered already. Not much concern rasied about this ever on here but most aren't too bright.

Reply #531391 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:10 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754