Tornado
Years ago

New Australian Basketball League - CLB

A new league based on crickets big bash league to be announced tomorrow in Melbourne.

League will run for 10 weeks during winter and will not affect the current NBL.

Topic #37196 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seriously????!!!!!!

Reply #531220 | Report this post

pug 47  
Years ago

Fireworks and scantily clad cheer leaders inside a basketball stadium is a recipe for successful strategy to burn down marion hilllcrest and woodville stadia.

Reply #531221 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

High Stake Hoops revisited?

Reply #531223 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

lolwut

Reply #531227 | Report this post

Wirly  
Years ago

Reply #531228 | Report this post

Whirly Giggidy  
Years ago

Umm source? article link?

Reply #531229 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

Seven news i think. As above reminded me of High Stakes but over a longer period of time. Just what we need, fragment the money and the fans loyalty.

Reply #531236 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hope no one is trying to make money out of this. That would be terrible!

Reply #531237 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

I too thought of HSH and I saw it on Channel 7. This could get them good media coverage or this could flop?

I would assume for them to announce the league they already have sponsorship, interested parties willing to purchase a franchise etc...

I'll wait to see the details first before passing judgement.

Reply #531238 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

4 pointers and 3 points for a dunk?

Reply #531239 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

A new league based on crickets big bash league to be announced tomorrow in Melbourne.

So they're going to stand in the middle of a cricket ground, and throw basketballs at the boundary?

Or will they use bats?

Reply #531241 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

This thread just hurt my head.....whhaaaaaaaattttttt

Reply #531242 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Where can I buy tickets Dazz?

Reply #531243 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

If they make the seasons short and the game night entertaining and the prices such that the every day person can attend each game then I could see this working. However if it does work it could be to the detriment of what the NBL is trying to achieve.

Reply #531244 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Flinders80...it could also supplement what the NBL is trying to achieve - time will tell I guess?

Reply #531245 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

I hope this is real, and by that I mean I'm hoping for a shortened league with minimal teams with a white load of talent smashing it out for 10' weeks . Hopefully, if this is true, there won't be a massive change to the rules and we may see some awesome imports contracted for a short season.

Reply #531246 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

White = shite

Reply #531247 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

First team to 20?

Reply #531248 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Train, we'll know more tomorrow I guess?!

Reply #531249 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

Tornado, has Big Bang helped the 50 over game in local cricket..... Time will tell

Reply #531251 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

Haha, the TV Show probably not but big bash not sure

Reply #531252 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Check PnR at 12:01am...

Reply #531253 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Is this league a direct rival of the nbl and designed to kill it off?

Could some teams such as Wildcats switch?

Reply #531254 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I would make 2 points for 3 pointers, 2 points for dunks, 1 point for all other shots.

No free throws, simply throw in from side.

Shorter shot clock 18 seconds

Less time outs, move to 12min qtrs.

3 imports per team

Reply #531255 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The league is just 48 minutes of jump balls. That should keep everyone happy.

Reply #531256 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Want more details? Check this out! www.clb.com.au

Reply #531259 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

Basketballs World Series cricket?

Reply #531260 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If it's anything like World Series Cricket or Big Bash then it's exactly what basketball needs in this country. Bring it on!

Reply #531262 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/more-sports/champions-league-basketball-plans-to-revolutionise-game-and-bring-absolute-elite-to-our-shores/story-fnp3ipqi-1227383426465?login=1

Champions League basketball
Eight teams initially across Australian capital cities and New Zealand
A 10-week season from May until August, first year in 2017
Up to $3 million up for grabs in prize money each year
A Champions League draft to be held before each season
'Game breakers', with lit up fluorescent backboards for three minutes per half where three-pointers become four-pointers.
Four 12-minute quarters like the NBA, fewer time-outs and shorter pre-game and half-time warm up periods to ensure a two-hour timeslot for broadcasting.
Bonus points will be given to teams reaching 100 points during a game, even in a loss, to ensure high scoring.
"Every Quarter Counts" where championship points are awarded to the team winning each quarter of the game. (1 point per quarter won, plus 3 points for the overall winner)

Reply #531263 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Starting in May 2017? Two years away. Plenty of time to put the wind up the NBL and be bought out by LK/NBL.

Reply #531264 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Sounds great!

Reply #531265 | Report this post

Jick  
Years ago

WHAT THE F**K !?!?

Reply #531266 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

I really like this idea. The NBL will still be the main event and this show would really put some buzz back in basketball.

Reply #531267 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Adelaide, Auckland, Melbourne x2, Sydney x2, Brisbane & Perth would be the teams?

Reply #531268 | Report this post

Grass Roots  
Years ago

Who will be the teams? Can we bring the Melbourne Tigers back?

Reply #531271 | Report this post

Hoops God  
Years ago

Check out what The Pick And Roll have posted - it's going to be every Sunday and Wednesday.

http://pickandroll.com.au/champions-league-basketball-heralds-revolution-australian-basketball/

Reply #531272 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

This is something that had to happen at some point. The NBL has sat on its hands for too long, and shouldn't feel entitled to be too annoyed that competition has come in and usurped them of the opportunity to play in winter.

I doubt the basketball is going to appease the basketball puritans - the 4 pointers, cut down time outs erc - however, I feel it will impress fans, bring in some solid imports and Aussies, and will get people watching Australian Basketball for ENTERTAINMENT for once.

Imagine picking up our better Aussie NBA players during the off season? Unrestricted imports? This creates more jobs in Aussie Basketball and that can only be a good thing.

I look forward to seeing where this heads - but with 2 years to wait, anything can happen between then and now.

Reply #531273 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

GWB, there won't be any NBA players that will play in this league during their off-season.

Reply #531275 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

THE sudden and unexpected arrival on the elite basketball scene of a new competition was sure to draw a reaction and it did, including a surprised one from NBL Executive Director Larry Kestelman.

Kestelman, whose proposal to run the NBL with a 51 per cent ownership was accepted by the league last week, said he knew very little formally about Champions League Basketball.

"There's never a dull moment in this job," he said.

"But the NBL has nothing to do with this (CLB) and if they want the league to be onside, we need to be having some talks.

"I would have thought that should have occurred before they went public because we know nothing about it.

"The NBL holds the only license for professional basketball in Australia and if they're wanting to use our players, we need to be talking.

"At this stage we're not sanctioning it or are aware of their format."

http://www.botinagy.com/blog/clb-what-others-think/

Reply #531276 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The competition points for each quarter, and bonus for getting to 100, is going to result in a lot of fouling.

That, plus 48 minutes...no way that's fitting into a two-hour window. But good job cutting the pre-game warmups, that aren't televised anyway.

Also, I object to this being described as 'basketball'. Even the NBA has a better claim to the term than this sideshow does.

Reply #531277 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty good day for Australian basketball. One will start journey to becoming an NBA Champion. And a brand new IPL style league in Australia.

Reply #531278 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

The new CLB will have an intro "lightning tournament" in 2016 ahead of a 2017 player draft and season.

CLB expect to be an officially credited competition with FIBA / BA endorsement by next year's tourney.

I can also advise that the NBL PA have been consulted on this.

Reply #531279 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes its in the statement from the Nbl.

Reply #531280 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lets hope its a truly australia wide comp.

Reply #531281 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

It is planned to be across Australasia - with planned teams embedded in Asia.

Reply #531282 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Im calling it now....this new league will fail!!

Reply #531283 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Guy in from Knox - Microsoft backing this league also I guess

Reply #531286 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Going up against AFL, SEABL and Big V.Cant see it sanctioned by BA as it undermines the above competitions.Alot of spin in the media release.
Cant see it making the light of day.Money down the drain!!!

Reply #531287 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sounds interesting...would love to see a Tassie team make the cut

Reply #531288 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BA already endorsing it.

Reply #531289 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

BA have not endorsed it, Jason Smith said that they are in preliminary discussions with BA.

Reply #531290 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

this guy needs a ball.

Reply #531292 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

I Like the idea but don't think the rules need to be changed. Draft is a great idea. Short season in the NBL off season is a great idea (especially if it's after NBA finals, when there is nothing but state league and Buro). But don't bring in gimmicky rules in my opinion. Just play Ball!

Reply #531293 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Excellent. Finally Brisbane will get some sort of Basketball team to follow.

Reply #531295 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jason Smith spoke exclusively to Andrew Gaze this morning about it on Melbourne radio. You can listen to interview www.sen.com.au/audio

Reply #531296 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

People are having aneurysms about the change of rules, but the rule changes make perfect sense. This is meant to be an entertainment package - not a puritans wet dream.

We have plenty of leagues for pure basketball - including the NBL. This league doesn't have to be another league full of time outs, non stop freethrows and all the things that can make the game a drag to watch.

This league sounds like it will be accessible to casual fans of the game and new fans. I can only see that being a good thing.

I do wonder where all the money is coming from, though.

Reply #531299 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

This league doesn't have to be another league full of time outs, non stop freethrows and all the things that can make the game a drag to watch.
The rules are going to increase free-throws.

Reply #531305 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Kobe - if they cut the foul limit down for players from 6 to 3 or 4, there would be less fouls. I am sure they will look at all of that.

Reply #531313 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

5 fouls is enough either way! No need to change it.

Reply #531314 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Could be an opportunity for NBL clubs to enter a team, trial a whole bunch of imports and young talent, and pick up some prize money along the way?

If they can truly get some of the guys back from Europe to play, it would be awesome to see.

I hope it works alongside the NBL, would be awesome to see top level basketball all year round in Australia

Reply #531317 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Id prefer if it was more than just an NBL winter league.

Reply #531318 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the backboard lights up to display the last 3 minutes and during that time 3 point shots are now worth 4 points, does that mean if you foul a person shooting a 4 pointer they will get 4 free throws if it misses or maybe even 1 for a 5 point play?

Reply #531319 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As if those who can get a gig in Europe will come back here to play in this league, they don't get paid enough in the regular season. This is just ridiculous

Reply #531338 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

FIRST FIVE OF THE CLB EXCECUTIVE TEAM: From left, Yvette Hollard, Matthew Hollard, Jason Smith, Andrew Ede and Jon Shepherd

The CLB would open up winter options for NBL clubs too.

"For example, if they wanted, the team in South Australia could be the Adelaide 36ers' 'winter team' or the team in Sydney could be the Kings' 'winter team'," Hollard said.

But the bonus would be the prospect of overseas-based players such as Brad Newley, Chris Goulding, Nathan Jawai et al suiting for the compact season, along with a potentially impressive array of imports too.

"I think the concept has a lot going for it," Utah Jazz swingman and Boomer Joe Ingles confided last week.

Hollard said the main selling point was a genuine desire to engage fans in a product they could get excited about.

So, I don't know much about these co founders and I don't have too much knowledge of the details in respect to their concept other than what has been written recently.

Being positive about it all though, I can see the NBL and the CLB co-existing if the start up funding is sufficient, business model is sound and the product is what they project it to be.

I also see positive things in this because I can see it being a supplement to all of the basketball we have on the table at the moment. Whether Euroleague or overseas players come or not is irrelevant because what this has the potential to do is provide more opportunity and additional pathways for Aussie ballers.

We are crying out for somewhere to harvest and develop our up and coming basketball juniors who are coming through at record numbers with our junior programs as full as ever, even bursting at the seemes if you care to have a look around the place.

If the CLB can deliver that excitement and reinvigour interest into the game during winter, compliment SEABL and other State leagues by opening up more opportunity, while also giving the NBL a booster in the media and connect with the fans like they promise to do, then I am all for it!

Reply #531352 | Report this post

el presidente  
Years ago

"For example, if they wanted, the team in South Australia could be the Adelaide 36ers' 'winter team' or the team in Sydney could be the Kings' 'winter team'," Hollard said."

[sarcasm]I'm sure the current owners of those team's IP would be delighted with that if they aren't affiliated with the CLB [/sarcasm],

Reply #531359 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

But they could become affiliated with BOTH competitions.

Reply #531382 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Jonno,

Well it 'could' be that, but you would be forking out 350k for the privilege and with only a 50/50 chance (in year one) of getting any prize money at all.

Reply #531386 | Report this post

Cameltoe  
Years ago

What a horrible name for a league with zero champions.

Reply #531388 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"As if those who can get a gig in Europe will come back here to play in this league"

There aren't many good Aussies in Europe anymore, but if this season only ran over a month or so I think they could well be interested. For mine though, 10 weeks is far too long to attract overseas-based guns.

The key for me is this league being officially linked with the NBA so they are a chance to get some NBA players. Here's a story I wrote on this sort of idea last year (mostly in second half of article):

www.fiba.com/news/Can-the-NBL-turn-winter-into-summer

Reply #531407 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sounds like a mockery of the game to me. If you really want a 4 pointer , go watch LEague

Reply #531412 | Report this post

Wondering  
Years ago

Please no ! Sounds like a circus. Will make our beautiful game a laughing stock.

Reply #531417 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"
I also see positive things in this because I can see it being a supplement to all of the basketball we have on the table at the moment. Whether Euroleague or overseas players come or not is irrelevant because what this has the potential to do is provide more opportunity and additional pathways for Aussie ballers.

We are crying out for somewhere to harvest and develop our up and coming basketball juniors who are coming through at record numbers with our junior programs as full as ever, even bursting at the seemes if you care to have a look around the place"

What about the female p,ayers, why should the men have an extra comp to assist their development and the women not.

Reply #531424 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Fair question anonymous, I would also love to see this concept for women of course, but not my call I only gave an opinion on what I have read so far...

Reply #531425 | Report this post

Anonz  
Years ago

I hate to say this because I have huge respect for Smitty, but this is exactly what Australian Basketball does not need.

It's a novelty-based commercial venture. Short shot clocks and reduced foul counts? So end-to-end jungle ball basically.

Will do nothing to improve the player base, and anyone who knows and appreciates Basketball won't watch it, they'll just continue to watch NBA and College.

All of this energy and investment being misdirected is a crying shame. Surely some of this forward thinking can be applied to the NBL. Shift the season back to Winter, dump the PPR and enforce a realistic Salary Cap, and limit imports to one per team.

Reply #531428 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

You can share your feedback with CLB via their website.

Reply #531431 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

The NBL wont be making those key changes though. They have been stubborn and stuck in their ways. They have effectively caused this rebel/rogue league to come into being.

I don't have any problem with this league becoming a spectacle. NBA to me is little more than a spectacle, and I would surely prefer to see a 15 second shot clock and 4 point baskets more than an offence predicated almost-only by isolations.

I like the idea of the hybrid game. It will distinguish the league. It could become a great place to trial new rules and styles. I don't think that the suggested rule changes will completely destroy the art of the game - I think they will simply add new elements to it.

I, for one, am bored of watching the same tired formula. I believe the game of Basketball needs to evolve.

Reply #531432 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anstey bahahahaha

Reply #531433 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"What about the female p,ayers, why should the men have an extra comp to assist their development and the women not."

I don't think there is anything stopping someone from trying a similar women's league. It's just a matter of whether someone in the market wants to or not.

Reply #531437 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

I don't really think the CLB is there to "assist development". I think it would be a rare case where a player comes from CLB - only and lands gigs elsewhere. This is due to the fact that it will be a hybrid game, and not all skills will directly translate.

Those who play in the CLB will already be professional players I expect. I am expected most will be NBL players, with maybe a few SEABL types on the deep end of the bench, a few flashy Childress/Ennis type imports, and maybe some Aussies back from Europe, after college, or in a very rare case, Aussies from the NBA who might want to get some games in during their off season (A guy like Bairstow who isn't seeing minutes may be an example of this).

There is also the opportunity for good European and Asian talent. But no, this is not a development league by any stretch - nor should it be. It is a 10 week showcase of basketball skill in a hybrid game. It doesn't have the burden of purity which the NBL has.

Reply #531439 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

CLB is just a way for some clueless ex basketballers to con a living until the money runs out.

Reply #531442 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

That doesn't make sense Anonymous. There wouldn't be a "living" to con to start with. The league wouldn't be profitable in the first year or two I shouldn't think. They are going to have to do a lot of footwork in getting sponsors and investors before even seeing a single dollar!

Reply #531443 | Report this post

Billy Hoyle  
Years ago

G W B ,

If you don't like the N B A , and you like the idea of 4 point shots, shorter shot clocks, and lit up scoreboards etc,

Then you don't like basketball. You like a circus. You may as well go watch Circ de Soliel, or Ringling brothers.

CLB won't be basketball.

Remember "slam ball"? Yeah, that was a real progressive move for the game.......

Reply #531448 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

I don't like the isolation-centric way the NBA is played. That isn't to say I don't think NBA players are the worlds best players - they clearly are.

I also appreciate European leagues, and yes, a good game in the NBL (when it happens, which was fairly rare last season save for the excellent grand final game).

I am not about choosing pure basketball over spectacle, or vice versa. I think both can coexist.

Lets remember that this is a 10 week league including playoffs. It runs for little over 2 months, and less than half of a normal NBL season (excluding finals). It is a showcase of entertainment and skill. The Harlem Globetrotters hardly destroyed basketball, and nor will this.

As for Slam Ball, it is an interesting little hybrid side-venture. It will never be the NBA/NBL or real basketball, but it was a bit of fun to watch. I don't see why a 10 week basketball league played for a cash prize needs to be married to the strictest regulations of the game.

Reply #531449 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #531458 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

CLB alright..Cleary Laughable Basketball.
So if a missed basket gets caught in the crowd do they get a bucket of KFC as well?
Let's just throw them backwards over your head for 8 points.
The NBA game is a bigger enough no D joke to look at ,without paying money to watch this rubbish.

Reply #531465 | Report this post

Billy Hoyle  
Years ago

I would have to disagree that there is no defence in the NBA

Reply #531470 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Love it when people who haven't watched basketball since 1981 say there is no defense in the NBA. The NBA has the most sophisticated defensive strategies and best defenders in the world, and it's by a MASSIVE margin.

Reply #531472 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Not to appease an anon troll but that effort by Kyrie to block what was going to be an easy lay up for Steph Curry in Game 1 was a pretty good example of NBA defence, just sayin'...

Not even going to go down the Deandre Jordan track either!

Reply #531475 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

I'm not really a fan of the "game breakers". If anything I would like to see a 4point line(further out from the 3 point line) and definitely love to see dunks worth 3 points !!

I would also like to see fouls in the last 2 minutes being penalised with 1 free throw and possession. That would surely deter teams from committing cheap fouls and making it a free throw game.

Reply #531489 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

What a pile of SHIT.

Seriously, sounds like a few of the stupider posters on here have got together, taken some hallucinogenic drugs, and put together a website.

The world is full of clueless people trying to launch businesses with no chance of success. I was going to say it will be an epic fail, but I think even that will be beyond them.

I could write pages on what's wrong with their proposal, but why bother.

Reply #531543 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

You accuse people on here of working for the CLB - but it sounds more like you work for the NBL. You just say ideas are ridiculous, but are yet to say "why".

There is a market for a more spectator friendly version of basketball - get with it

Reply #531548 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

The CLB were already out in the community today putting in surveys to grass roots youth basketball associations. Their facebook page has been more active in 24 hours, than the NBL in the entire off season. It seems like they believe they can do this, for better or worse.

Reply #531553 | Report this post

RR  
Years ago

I'm interested to see how this all pans out - if it does indeed eventuate at all. If it’s successful, it could truly invigorate the game in Australia and reduce the exodus of players to second-rate or third-rate European comps (Daryl Corletto to England for example). If it flops, it could be detrimental to basketball here and further weaken or even kill the NBL – a competition that is already on life support and has been for quite some time.

The CLB has given itself a start date of 2017, and what it doesn’t know at this stage is if the participating teams are new entities separate (and perhaps independent) of NBL teams, or simply the NBL club’s "winter team". This is something it needs to sort out quickly, because if it’s merely an NBL winter comp under a different name, I don’t see how this could be appealing to fans, sponsors, broadcasters and advertisers.

Does it aim to be a Free to Air or Pay-TV product? It’s a winter competition, so you can all but rule out seeing the games on the main channels of Seven and Nine. Channel Ten treated the NBL very shabbily for the last 4 years of its 5-year deal, and currently does the same to V8’s and F1 – two other competitions that “play” over the winter months on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays. What about one of the secondary digital channels one might ask? There is no proven track record of sports televised nationally on digital channels rating strongly and operating successfully. OneHD didn’t last as a sports-only channel, and A-League on SBS2 failed dismally. Also, for example, there is no way Nine would put CLB on GEM on Friday evenings up against Friday Night Football. For now, you’d think Fox Sports would be the broadcaster mostly likely to come on board, but with the current AFL TV rights deal expiring after 2016, and the NRL’s deal a year later, the FTA landscape could very well change.

Touching on the point again of it being a winter comp, it would be going up against the might of the AFL and NRL. If we're totally honest, your average NBL fan is not a “basketball only” or “basketball first and foremost” sports lover. Their first love and main passion is usually one of the winter football codes. CLB shouldn’t expect shouldn’t expect rusted-on footy fans to drop all that for winter basketball, even if their games are being played in indoor comfort.

If CLB is trying to attract NBA fans who don’t support basketball locally, it needs a strong product (some former NBA players would help). If the competing teams are all wearing BBL-style pastel colours with names such as Sydney Stingers or Melbourne Marauders – forget it.

One hopes “Champions League Basketball” is just a working title and that they come up with something more original. It sounds generic and pathetic as “Melbourne United”.

I’d rather see the people at Basketball Australia, NBL and CLB work together for ONE strong basketball competition. I’m sure I’m not the only one.

Reply #531573 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

GWB, not many are saying the ideas are ridiculous. We're just putting some realistic thought to whether the ideas will work, and right now, unless they get financial backers who are willing to lose money for a few years (your words) then its really a case of those ideas just telling people what they want to hear. That is not a good plan.

Reply #531574 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

CLB will be using magic beans to make it all right on the night.

This is an ill conceived idea born out of ignorance for what reality is.The ideas are lifted straight from the NBL Blitz and High Stake Hoops. There is nothing new about what they have suggested

A high level ref has already pointed out to them on social media that they will not get any refs for mid week games. BA has sided with the NBL. The NBL wont allow their talent to play in the comp. Some pretty major obstacles to over come.

This thing has more misses than Wilt Chamberlain

Reply #531578 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

"The CLB has given itself a start date of 2017, and what it doesn't know at this stage is if the participating teams are new entities separate (and perhaps independent) of NBL teams, or simply the NBL club’s "winter team". This is something it needs to sort out quickly, because if it’s merely an NBL winter comp under a different name, I don’t see how this could be appealing to fans, sponsors, broadcasters and advertisers."

Fantastic point. I, for one, don't care to see the skeleton of the 36ers plus a few SEABL guys. Having said that, I am not sure how many teams will be able to afford to run two teams. They should only run the league if the talent is better than NBL due to scheduling advantage.

"If CLB is trying to attract NBA fans who don’t support basketball locally, it needs a strong product (some former NBA players would help). If the competing teams are all wearing BBL-style pastel colours with names such as Sydney Stingers or Melbourne Marauders - forget it."

Once again, agreed. High Stakes Hoops really was a joke of a competition. CLB will need to take itself much more seriously than this to succeed. I would move away from AND1, or anything like this for uniforms. How about Nike? Adidas? Something that actually LOOKS GOOD? I know that the CLB logo right now looks a bit "meh" to say the least.

"One hopes "Champions League Basketball" is just a working title and that they come up with something more original. It sounds generic and pathetic as “Melbourne United”."

Well, they are already out in the streets looking for brand recognition under that name. The name could grow on me, but personally I would prefer something more distinctive. I think when sending the league suggestions on their website, people should suggest possible names too.

"
I’d rather see the people at Basketball Australia, NBL and CLB work together for ONE strong basketball competition. I’m sure I’m not the only one."

NBL can't even move in one direction on their own, let alone if met with different entities. I don't agree here. We will see what Kestleman does, but for now there is more than enough room for a second league.

"GWB, not many are saying the ideas are ridiculous. We're just putting some realistic thought to whether the ideas will work, and right now, unless they get financial backers who are willing to lose money for a few years (your words) then its really a case of those ideas just telling people what they want to hear. That is not a good plan. "

I put it to you that they already have some of those backers. They would be foolish to speak like this if they didn't. Someone is putting money into this from somewhere or this would still be a pipedream as it had been for 2 years leading to this.

"A high level ref has already pointed out to them on social media that they will not get any refs for mid week games. BA has sided with the NBL. The NBL wont allow their talent to play in the comp. Some pretty major obstacles to over come.
"

Where has this been said? I am pretty sure that the NBL/CLB are yet to figure where they stand on eachother?

Reply #531581 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who are the financial backers?

Reply #531587 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

This has been two years in the making already. The executive team have been working FT for the past 8mths. there is financial backing here folks - but they acknowledge they will need more to make it work.

Reply #531600 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

LC, two years in the making and eight months full time work and not a single team to announce, not a single major backer to announce and openly admitting that once they build their digital platform and following they hope a major tv deal follows?

I think your reporting could be a little more clinical and analytical rather than just being a cheerleader.

Reply #531604 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If there is financial backing, announce it. That is what will get other investors motivated, not a plan where 90% of profit goes to the league while the clubs take all the risk

Reply #531606 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

It is said they will announce first teams and sponsors in October.

Reply #531616 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LC - you cant be serious , its taken 8 months to announce this?

People feel obliged to have a crack at the NBL yet these guys have delivered 4 paragraphs of fluff to show 8 months worth of work ?!?!?!?!?

That's all you need to know about the legitimacy of this thing getting off the ground

Reply #531618 | Report this post

Stu  
Years ago

One thought might be for them to take a leaf out of the Big Bash League's book

Maybe each team has to sign on a certain number of "legends", and maybe have a minimum for minutes that they have to have a legend on the floor

I'd watch the crap out of Brett Maher going up against Shane Heal or Andrew Gaze

Reply #532333 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:58 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754