Paul Arnott
Years ago

Domestic Competitions

There's been some talk on this forum (and its predecessor) about the concept of domestic competitions. The idea is that clubs would each run their own competitions, which would provide an alternative for juniors who are turned away from district basketball because of the cost, training commitment, travel, etc.

Forestville and Sturt have recently announced a new joint domestic competition called the City South Conference. I thought I'd post a link to the details here, for those that are interested.

This concept is nothing new. Most basketball associations in Melbourne run their own domestic competitions. Examples include Knox, Dandenong and Ringwood. The Southern Tigers have a similar concept in the Southern Conference.

If you're interested in your club setting up a domestic comp, I'd suggest you speak to your committee and generate some interest. Most clubs are holding their AGMs shortly, so now is the time to be heard.

Topic #372 | Report this topic

Yosemite Sam  
Years ago

As a Southerner, congrats to Paul, Forestville and Sturt for the following up the vision of the Southern Tigers...look forward to interclub tournaments.

Reply #2732 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

As an off court basketball person (stats)....it would be great of we had something to do during the ABL off season.....some people are accredited to do WNBL / NBL games, and there are plans afoot to train others to go at that level, but it would be good if there were off season comps where the stats people in clubs could keep their talents going.

Maybe a domestic comp would be the go for this??

Reply #2739 | Report this post

Yosemite Sam  
Years ago

Yogee, it is only the beginning, BASA cant do it on it own. Clubs doing the basics, owning it and creating opportunities for others connected with the Sport.
Aussie Hoops, BASA social competition and now this (Club alternative Ball)will capture all that is junior basketball in this State of ours!

Reply #2740 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Oh I agree, and I wasnt outting the idea down.

Far from it.....I was just saying maybe its an oppurtunity for those of us who support the game in off ciurt ways can also get involved, to keep up our skill level.

Reply #2741 | Report this post

Yosemite Sam  
Years ago

Yes, I understand...even the finals for the Southern (Senior) Challenge will need experts in the game.

We are serious down South about opening up this game of ours and exploring the alternatives that benefit Club and the Sport.

Reply #2743 | Report this post

Liam Flynn  
Years ago

I think chasing that pesky rabbit around has given you a little brain failure Yosemite Sam. 'Following up on the vision of the Southern Tigers'...That is very rich! Are you really trying to attach credit for this to another club??

This is a vision Paul Mesecke & Scott Butler had for Sturt a long time back. Paul Arnott and Daryl Simmonds have done a stack of work for this project...they are both a credit to their clubs.

Arnie you might want to add the names of your Forrestville people that have been the driving force of this concept.

Regards

Reply #2744 | Report this post

Yosemite Sam  
Years ago

Jirachi,

Saturday after (noon) ghost time in BASA stadiums...until Church starts...then with negotiation...anything is possible

Reply #2745 | Report this post

Yosemite Sam  
Years ago

Liam,

thanks for replying...and if you take the sour taste out of your mouth you will see that we did it first...yes I have listen to you for a number of years taliking about the virtue...well done to everyone..including you

Reply #2746 | Report this post

Yosemite Sam  
Years ago

Jirachi,
no offence is intended, perhaps that is the problem with posting, other than face to face contact.

Growth is about taking control of your immediate destiny...it's more than looking about who is to credit the idea with.

This (Conferences) is the way to move forward.

My reply to you was directed about a suitiable time (court space)to develope the initative.

I have aknowleged Liam and others,

Paul I sent a personal email to

...this is the way forward for Club Basketball...

Dont worry about who thought about it first..great idea...let's progress it ( enough buzz words!)

Reply #2752 | Report this post

Paul Arnott  
Years ago

To Jirachi, Sam and Liam - thanks for all the support.

I really don't want this to be seen as a club v club concept. It is to everyone's advantage if all clubs can get involved in the running of domestic competitions. As well as the benefits already mentioned, this would create more competition for positions in district teams, and a better standard of basketball all around.

Without getting all warm and gushy,
it'd be great for the clubs to work together to get this happening. If Forestville and Sturt can put aside their differences, then surely other clubs can too.

We've been communicating with other clubs during the formation of this competition, and I have had some positive support and input as late as today from the Southern Tigers committee.

I apologise if all this talk of sharing the love has made anyone feel queasy.

Reply #2754 | Report this post

The Big Aristotle  
Years ago

I think Sam, that you might find that the two concepts by Forestville/Sturt and the Tigers are coming from different directions. The Tigers concept is Saturday afternoon and involves members of higher division teams. Plus it is an attempt to increase the basketball population in the area.

Where as the Forrestville/Sturt competition is being run on Sundays for lower division team instead of practice.

Both have their merrits and hopefully both will be successful. I think that members from other clubs should get involved with looking at which one suits their area/club/s and get somthing going to match. Otherwise the southern area might take a big jump forward, leaving everyone else behind.

Hope fully their will be a inter-conference competitionj in the future.

Reply #2755 | Report this post

Yosemite Sam  
Years ago

Big A and Jirachi,
always had time for you guys...

No both concepts are from the same direction...no rocket science here the chalenge is the higher age groups from U/16 above to create a competent challenege for all age groups.

Reply #2764 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Just a quick question to those involved with the City South Conference...what happens when it comes to assigning children to district clubs? Is this an issue or will there be a 50/50 split or just based on geographic proximity (ie live closer to Pasadena or Wayville).

Top idea guys, let's see a Northern one happening soon, clubs!

Reply #2765 | Report this post

Paul Arnott  
Years ago

Good question.

In the short term, all players in the competition will be current Forestville or Sturt district players, so recruitment won't be an issue.

In the not-so-short term, we will allow players to play in the domestic competition who are not also district players. However, all domestic players will still play for a club which is associated with either Sturt or Forestville, and will be registered with either Sturt or Forestville.

In the longer term, we may allow nominations from clubs which are not associated with either Sturt or Forestville. We've thought a bit about these issues, but agreed to deal with it further down the track.

Reply #2770 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Fair enough, just thinking back to when I first started playing, is all. Down at the local (St Bernards) we had maybe 4 or 5 different 'social' clubs which would ultimately provide 12-14 teams per age group of which half the players would leave and go on to play for north/norwood/torrens valley - it boomed back in 92-98 when I used to play but died many moons ago. Whenever I've thought abuot this issue, I've thought about that comp and how if Norwood was in charge of maintaining that, they would easily be the number one club in SA (or close to it), right now.

Reply #2771 | Report this post

what the  
Years ago

I would try to channel the school teams into your comp - as a parent and a basketball crazy - another game per week might stretch it - but if you threw in say the school miniball comps as well - ot may balance.
Any good recruiting officer would have their finger on teh pulse of all junior competitions in their "catchment" - now club "catchment areas" - there is a debate within itself.

Reply #2783 | Report this post

Rookie  
Years ago

Out of curiosity, what do people think about the current situation with the Uunder 21 Womens competition?
Do all think it is fair to have teams, as it was at the start of the season beat others by as much as 110 points (Eastern v Forestville 2), with players playing against ABL players, who have little experience or willingness ot play against others of that skill level?
As the Under 21 womens was developed to increase the numbers of young women playing in the competition it may also decrease the numbers with girls self-esteem and confidence level becoming non-existent. If some clubs enforce players who are currently in ABL squads and others do not, how is the development and participation of basketball for young women going to be beneficial?

Reply #3256 | Report this post

Paul Arnott  
Years ago

For those interested in following the progress of the City South Conference, we've just launched our website here.

There's not a lot here yet, but soon it will contain background information about the competition, and will also be used to publish draws, results and premiership tables.

Reply #5367 | Report this post

The Answer  
Years ago

Can anybody come to this info session or is it just for Sturt and Forrestville people?

Reply #5397 | Report this post

Yosemite Sam  
Years ago

Sam, is studying... but good luck to F/ville and Sturt on their Public Meeting.

Couldnt resist a look at the forum.

Southern Tigers - Southern Conference is looking forward to playing Sturt and Forestville in this conference style program.

Power to the Clubs.

Have you seen that varmint?

PS Paul, yes it's me. After tomorrow I will reply.

Y Sam

Reply #5398 | Report this post

Paul Arnott  
Years ago

I'd prefer to restrict this particular meeting to just Sturt and Forestville people, simply so that we can complete in a timely manner, and also so we can fit everyone into the room!

Having said that, we're more than willing to discuss the concept with people from any other club, and we'd be happy to hold a separate info session. Our long term goal is that all clubs run domestic competitions, and I'm very keen to work with JCDs/JDOs/commmittee members/interested parents from other clubs to help make this happen.

"The Answer", feel free to post questions here, or if you'd like, you can email me at [email protected].

Reply #5399 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:14 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754