Anonymous
Years ago

What will be more successful, CLB or NBL?

CLB seems very well prepared.

I like the idea but am a basketball purist and will follow more NBL.

Hopefully Kestleman has read the fine print/detail of the New League and will incorporate some new ideas into the NBL.

Which would you prefer to watch?

Topic #37200 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

All CLB details here:

http://www.botinagy.com

Reply #531346 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL you can progress to nba, europe etc
CBL you can go to street ball

Reply #531350 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

CBL is just a concept right now. They had to go out and get a bunch of press in order to be able to sell the $350,000 fee to potential owners.

It appears there would be a lot of work to do before this concept gets off the ground.

Reply #531357 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

CLB looks primed to pounce on the mistakes made by the NBL. It also looks set to pounce on the NBL's stubborness to change back to winter. On first look, I think the CLB will be more successful because it is learning from the NBL's mistakes, it has a clear plan, and is putting entertainment value before basketball purity.

I can't imagine the CLB being a pathway to NBA. But that is not its purpose. Its purpose is to be an entertainment package - a place for imports and high level aussies to play in the off season - a spectacle for basketball fans. THere will likely be a pseudo-streetball element to it. It is a showcase of basketball.

This may even become the first basketball some people see. Cutting out the amount of time outs, free throws and yawn worthy stuff and getting back to the fun of the game. If they do it right, it will be a place where imports WANT to play, where aussies WANT to play. It might even spur on some changes in other more traditional leagues to actually follow suit with some of the rule changes.

The changes that could be made here could impact the broader game - and just for being different will be of international interest.

CLB will be atleast as successful as NBL, but I would bet it will be more so if done right.

Reply #531358 | Report this post

Anon12  
Years ago

Where does SEABL and SA Premier League fit into this. Is the CBL a replacement or will all leagues run at the same time?

Reply #531360 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why start another thread on the same topic?

Reply #531361 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I think the CLB will be more successful because it is learning from the NBL's mistakes, it has a clear plan,"

Their "plan" requires either wealthy investors to inject money, or existing NBL clubs jumping aboard in some capacity, but in either scenario they wear all the risk, with profit going to the CLB. It might be clear but that is not a good plan.

Reply #531364 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

I have a feeling they already have many of the investors. This looks like a rogue league and I think the Wildcats are in on it.

Reply #531367 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not a rogue league, hopefully, but it is a concern when we have three different entities trying to run top level basketball here in one country. The NBL has its own business owners, the SEABL has BA and now there is a new group wanting to run a CLB. Cohesive, not!

Reply #531369 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Same business model as the NBL just painted a different colour

$350,000 entry fee , Say $500,000 in player payments plus travel, plus coaches , plus per diems, plus accommodation, plus front office staff, plus stadium hire plus plus plus plus.

Easily looking at a minimum 1 million dollar cost exercise with the best case you might get your money back if you win it.

It will not make owners any money and will not get off the ground.

Who do you think TV want to deal with a nobody or a proven entity in Kesselman? oh and CBL will not be sanctioned by BA so where are the players going to come from?

If it does get off the ground it will be like High Stake Hoops where there were a bunch of duds brought in to fill the teams up.

Look at the people involved , bunch of players who got paid big money in the glory days and wonder why the teams went broke.

Reply #531371 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

It does look very underdone - thanks for the link above, most informative.

You are either announcing this because you are going to follow up quickly with the announcement of teams or because you are trying to drum up support.

My immediate reaction to #531371 is that you are going to have far more than a 500k player budget to bring in the marquee player you need to create the hype to create the crowds to offset the bills.

Sydney had Childress, biggish name, but how many people forked up bucks more than once or twice for the thrill of seeing him play?

And it looks like their competition season will compete with world champs and the like - not directly but with camps and preparation tournaments etc.

Reply #531374 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ Exactly , even being conservative there is no way this thing will make anyone anything but broke.

Reply #531375 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Depends who is behind the money before the thing is off the ground. If you have investors willing to lose for a few years it could come together.

Reply #531376 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Spoke to one administrator who met with them. They put it out there early to attract potential investors. Be very surprised if it gets off the ground.

Reply #531377 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Here is the website http://www.clb.com.au/

Reply #531378 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Depends who is behind the money before the thing is off the ground. If you have investors willing to lose for a few years it could come together."

If that is what you call having a clear plan then I'm glad you're not running the show.

Reply #531380 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

CLB is not trying to compete with NBL, let alone the CBL or SEABL (or Big V, QBL etc etc.). It will sit as a complement to NBL, and above the other state-based /SEABL comps.

The NBL used to run winter alongside SEABL in any case.

The CLB, outside of the potential game here or there on a Friday or Saturday, are looking to conduct the majority of games on a Wednesday night and Sunday afternoon/evening.

Most state league / SEABL games are Saturday night, early Sunday afternoon. Most junior competitions are Friday night, Saturday.

Yes AFL / NRL are winter sports, but the NBL actually got to where it did in the first day when it was in fact a winter league.

I don't doubt they still need more investors / owners, but I actually think their proposed model and structure is a far more attractive and robust model than the current NBL.

Obviously time will tell, but do we really want to shoot down a potential new elite league before we give it a chance? Don't we all want a chance to watch elite level hoops all-year round in the country? I'm sure most players would be loving the prospect of this new league...

Reply #531389 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They needed to put some meat on the bone not launch with a glorified "I have a dream" statement. They gave us nothing other than "Hi my name is Matt here are some of my friends and in two years time I hope to start up a pro basketball league".

They needed to come out with a big name sponsor off the bat or an announcement of confirmed teams/franchises. They've obviously got none of that so were using the 'launch' to try and drum up business.

Reply #531393 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Anonymous - you need a plan AND money.

Reply #531394 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Anonymous - word is they will announce first teams and sponsors in October.

Reply #531395 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

This league will heavily depend on a few things:

1: it needs to have a bigger budget (per match) than the NBL. I would be looking at a million dollar cap for the 10 weeks. This means an average of $10,000 a week per player, which could get some of the better euro players etc. during the offseason.

2: they need to get the best talent available, look into possibly forging a deal with NBA teams to get young players over for a quick pay boost.

3: no shortcuts, the product needs to be very professional, exciting and most importantly available to the public. They need to pump the Comp up massively, no marketing = no one cares.

Do it right, and I see that this could become a success.

Reply #531396 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Come winter time when there is no Basketball being played, it will prosper. I like this for a lot of reason, one of which is it may get the NBL of its ass and be pro active or it could be in trouble come a few years time. Has never had any competition, could do now...

Reply #531397 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty legit url they got their hands on.

Reply #531398 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

I wonder if it could work well hand in hand with the NBL in a way.

I was wondering would this mean, say the 36ers enter a team in both leagues they could go to a guy like Brad Newley and offer him say $150-200k to play in the NBL and another $150-200k to play in the CLB, and have guys like Newley and some of our other top Aussies outside the NBA play in Australia using money from both leagues making $300-400k per year, also could help retain some of our top imports to play aswell in the same fashion.

Reply #531401 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No basketball in winter. You do know about the seabl dont you?

Reply #531403 | Report this post

Jono  
Years ago

At least their web site works on a mobile phone :) good luck to them! Not sure Aus can sustain both NBL and CLB tho :-S

Reply #531413 | Report this post

Jono  
Years ago

At least their web site works on a mobile phone :) good luck to them! Not sure Aus can sustain both NBL and CLB tho :-S

Reply #531414 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

lol all the news articles etc. have their CLB graphics spammed along the page excessively. Surely paid money for that to happen

Reply #531440 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I'm intrigued, will say Jack Bendat allow another businessman the chance to own a professional basketball club in Perth or would he own it himself. I don't believe Perth could sustai 2 NBL teams but if CLB gets up and is successful then there will be talk of CLB owners entering into NBL in many single team markets... Same could be said for Adelaide, Melbourne, Sydney and to a lesser extent NZ if not all the NBL team owners want to include their own team.

On another note if NBL teams are entered into CLB then it would be interesting to see what that could mean for sponsorship of you have the potential for your brand being seen 10 months of the year instead of October to Marcv that they currently gdt

Reply #531444 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

From the website
"Champions League Basketball has one priority - it's fans, players & officials."

Reply #531452 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

By that, they must mean they have three priorities. A bit of a rocky start with that one there, CLB!

Reply #531453 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jono if adel can afford 2 teams then offer newley money now.
They are flat out staying afloat let alone a 2nd team.

Far from convinced about where the teams will come from let alone the players. Players are effectively contracted now for 12 months. So who will play in this comp with seabl playing at the same time.

Forget all the crap about which will be the better comp. How about some heat on the cbl as to who will be eligible to play and how will they negotiate that outcomem

Reply #531454 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This won't get off the ground save your breath.

Reply #531464 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With no players it cant.

Reply #531493 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This league will heavily depend on a few things:

1: it needs to have a bigger budget (per match) than the NBL. I would be looking at a million dollar cap for the 10 weeks. This means an average of $10,000 a week per player, which could get some of the better euro players etc. during the offseason.

2: they need to get the best talent available, look into possibly forging a deal with NBA teams to get young players over for a quick pay boost.

3: no shortcuts, the product needs to be very professional, exciting and most importantly available to the public. They need to pump the Comp up massively, no marketing = no one cares.

Do it right, and I see that this could become a success.

Point 2 / thought this was supposed to be to develop and give australian basketballers an advantage and somewhere to play?????

Reply #531496 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

"

Point 2 / thought this was supposed to be to develop and give australian basketballers an advantage and somewhere to play?????"

Does everything need to exist to develop players? Every league we have is about development. We use the Boomers to develop players half of the time. Somewhere to play - maybe. Between the NBL, College, AIS, SEABL and all the minor leagues I think we have more than enough avenues for player development. This is a showcase for the fans first and foremost.

Reply #531497 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ok don't develop but if you fill it with overseas players how the hell is that helping find the aussie guys places to play ???

Reply #531501 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

There will be more than enough spots for Aussies. I doubt teams will be able to afford more than 2-4 foreigners at very most.

Reply #531504 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Which marquee players would you want the CLB to attract?

Potential marquee players for new Champions League Basketball

Reply #531508 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LC on the big sell for CLB.

Reply #531512 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Most of those imports would be well out of price range I would think. I just hope 8 billionaires across the country have bought into this league lol.

Reply #531513 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Just sharing...not my work.

Honestly, I want the NBL and this new venture to succeed. Hopefully CLB helps make the NBL pull up their socks - something I'm sure Kestelman is capable of following through on.

Reply #531517 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can someone tell me where the players will come from? They will either be seabl or contracted under the nbl. So much hype and no one wonders where the player base will come from.

Reply #531535 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Well, the NBL actually exists, so I reckon that gives it a head start.

Seriously guys, if you think posting a lot of drivel on public forums is the way to generate support for your "concept," then you are bigger fuckwits than you appear.
At the moment your credibility is less than the guy selling penis enlargers, and still plummeting.

Reply #531545 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

You think the team behind CLB made this topic? lol.

Reply #531547 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good on ya Dazz still clueless.

Reply #531563 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A lot of mud has been thrown at the most recent NBL board for mismanaging the league, but not much has been said about them throwing half a million dollars at the Hawks to keep them afloat, money which they can now kiss goodbye. Tell me how any of you would have made the NBL a success when a large chunk of your operating budget is wasted on one club when it was actually mean to help all eight, and more.

Reply #531575 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:33 am, Wed 17 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754