Vic Parent
Years ago

National Classic 15

I haven't seen a post talking about the National Classic this year, just wondered who were considered favourites.
I know in U14 Girls Bulleen will win by a street

Topic #37202 | Report this topic

Vic Parent  
Years ago

And to add Knox in the u18M, did Oakleigh make it through in the U18M?

Reply #531421 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Parents, hilarious

Reply #531427 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bulleen should do well seeing they have 8 teams qualified. To get that many to the classic they must be doing something right.

Reply #531459 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They're a strong club

Reply #531467 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bulleen might not win at classic. But to get 8 teams there shows that they are doing something right with coach's. Or coach/player development. Would think they would make finals in 5 of the 8.

Reply #531484 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To the OP, yes I am sure that Bulleen will be very proud of your precious under 14 girls winning their first game by 76. There is a line in under age tournaments, and Bulleen crossed it. I am sure that their coach will be very proud of the humiliation that they caused their opposition in an under 14 girl's game.

There's a line, you crossed it, shame on you.

Reply #531523 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow, "stepping over the line". shame shame,,, oh hang where's the line? 20pts,30pts, 40pts, or is it 75Pts!!! Oh you can dish it out to Penrith and Bankstown but can't handle it when you have to face it.

cry me a river

Reply #531534 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#534, I posted 523, I'm from Victoria and have no idea what you're talking about. I couldn't care less who it was against and in fact didn't even read who it was against. It's still poor form regardless of the grade, regardless of the competition!

Reply #531536 | Report this post

Annonymous  
Years ago

That is a ridiculous proposition.

Don't play hard or you might hurt their feelings.

Maybe they should have played in the Nunawading tournament.

Reply #531541 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's Classic. Having shown up frequently with interstate teams and taken a few beatings, we make the trip because it's the best club tournament in the country and being here makes our kids better. If they can't get within 80 of the best team, well, they have a lot of work to do, and if they decide to do it, they'll be much better for the experience.

Reply #531542 | Report this post

Vic Parent  
Years ago

#523 I am not from Bulleen, i am from one of the many clubs that this Bulleen u14 team has beaten this year.
I admire the way they do what they do when they have to do it and are always in the right position to execute.
Most of those kids are Bulleen grown and were as good without the new girls two years ago in U12s.
I didn't support Geelong in the AFL a few years ago but still liked how well drilled they were.
You should know by now that you will struggle at the classic if you cant beat a press and hopefully the interstate teams go away and work on beating that press because they will come up against it again at Nationals later in the year.
It should be all about improving the team by playing better competition.

Reply #531572 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am from Bulleen and you can say whatever you like about score lines.
Our teams always play to there maximum and never go half pace. Win or lose Bulleen play every second of the clock.

I'm proud of that, our players, our coaches and our club!

Reply #531579 | Report this post

Develop Your Own  
Years ago

^ your response is of absolutely no surprise, yes it must give you such a great feeling as a parent to see your son or daughter up by about 60 at 3/4 time and then watch your coach push the kids to grind the other team into the cracks in the stadium floor. You must be so proud. Unfortunately most of the human race that we live in would disagree. But you go ahead and be proud.

Seems like you're as much of a flog as the coach.

Reply #531584 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

This is hilarious. If you team loses, do it with grace!

Your team could have forfeited once the score got beyond them.

I am sure your team slacks off when they have a big lead too.

Reply #531588 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Simons family are coaching in Victoria now?

Reply #531591 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Don't knock Bulleen,as a club they consistently raise the bar,you need to get better and improve,teams make a lot of mistakes by inferred pressure and once you can get over that you can narrow margins,2 years ago we came up against Bulleen in 14 girls in VC reserve,first game 40 point loss second game 26 point loss,3rd game was Grand final,we win by 14,and it was Bulleen who made us better along with a few other clubs,after all it is The Classic,

Reply #531647 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

VC reserve? Too funny.

Reply #531649 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Anyway.... U18 Men grand final Eltham v Melbourne Tigers. Bronze Medal Central Districts v Dandenong
some surprising outcomes in the 18s. Goodluck to all playing today. It has been a long weekend for us parents!!

Reply #531656 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Want a loooonnnng weekend, go to the Ballarat tournament!

Reply #531660 | Report this post

Observer  
Years ago

Had a look at results for Ballarat. U18 men 4 teams just playing each other joke!. Why bother

Reply #531670 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Eltham 18 boys won!!

Reply #531735 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bulleen 14 girls - what an awesome team to watch. Well deserved win today.

Reply #531736 | Report this post

ally mcbeal  
Years ago

who is their coach ?

Reply #531737 | Report this post

overthere  
Years ago

Bulleen u18 girls won .They had 3 Aust reps in team .Fast and a deep bench

Reply #531838 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Over there - Bulleen had 2 players in the U17 Aus squad, not 3. Watched the game and it was a tight struggle until Bulleen's defence shut Melbourne's options down and they pulled away. Good spread of snorers compared to Melbourne. Very good team and well coached

Reply #531848 | Report this post

Bulleen Boomer  
Years ago

Great weekend for the Boomers. Of our 8 teams qualified we had 4 in the gold medal games, winning 3 and missing on our 12's by a point. Knox played well to win that game which was neck and neck all game.

To those who have been criticising our under 14's, they are a great team that are working hard to be the best they can be. Understand it can be demoralising for teams who are beaten by a lot but that is an experience that kids learn from providing they get the right parental guidance, not the sooky lala's that have been posting here.

Want to thank those non Bulleen posters that have been supporting us and what we do. We have been working hard to create a great culture at the Boomers which I think helps with our on court performance.

Not only did we have some success at the Classic, some of our other teams had success at the Nunawading tournament which was awesome.

Reply #531850 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Why don't Eltham U18 girls do better? Don't they have 3 or 4 state kids in their team?

Reply #531852 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great to see the Bulleen poaching program is achieving such great results.

Reply #531855 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #531848
re: National Classic 15

Good spread of snorers is my favourite

Reply #531862 | Report this post

Bulleen Boomer  
Years ago

Haha, yes sorry for the snorers.

#531862- Bulleen don't poach players. Do you want to know why? Because we spend a lot of time growing our own talent and players come to us because they want to play in a good program. Interesting that you think Bulleen won because of a couple of new players, particularly in the 14's where we won by 42 points and played a number of players from our second side, but hey, if it helps you sleep at night then that's great.

To my knowledge we have had players join in 14 girls from Melbourne Tigers.

We have also lost players to other clubs but at the end of the day it is up to the parents doing what they think is best for their child.

Reply #531874 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Just to confirm what Bulleen Boomer said, the complete last qtr in the U14 final was played by 4 players from the second team and 1 from the ones - the score was 16 all for that qtr.

Draw your own conclusions.

Reply #531905 | Report this post

ren and stimpy  
Years ago

- we want our juniors to excel with their ambitions not move backwards - respect to bulleen and if their opponents are not up to it - so be it.

elevate your game - don't regress it

Reply #531912 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#531874 What a laugh!

I was at a VJBL delegates meeting a few years back where two Bulleen delegates openly opposed a proposed new rule to restrict the ability of clubs to poach from others.

In front of all the other delegates these two stated that any rules to restrict poaching they were not onlu opposed to but if brought in it would effect Bulleen's ability to compete against other clubs.

Disappointingly the motion for the new measure was just defeated which just goes to show how many clubs do participate in this woeful process.

I give the delegates from Bulleen Kudo's for actually openly admitting to partaking in poaching, however i think this came more from their arrogance rather than any transparency on their behalf.

So please don't rant on here about home grown talent etc Instead have the same courage as your delegates had and fess up to the fact that your club routinely poaches players from other clubs.

No matter what success Bulleen has on the court, from that night they lost my respect and the respect of any delegate or club who has some ethos in regards to integrity in sport.

Obviously Bulleen has none!

Reply #531955 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ask yourself do Bulleen need to poach? I took my child there because there have a great program. My child my made an SCC team so could obviously play. We wanted a good club we found it. Didn't get poached.

Reply #532051 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I don't understand how you can "poach" players?

If the players are getting what they want from their club why would they leave?

With regards to the U14's, the team is made up of 8 players who played for Bulleen from bottom age 12's. The two who joined from Melbourne made the choice that was best for them.

Considering that Melbourne U14's has not won a game in grading, I think it was the right one!

If a player leaves a club to move to another, they are doing what is best for them and their individual circumstance. I see no mention of the 'poaching' that Knox U14 did?

If you are taking a stand against poaching, great - but mention all the clubs not just Bulleen! This just comes across as sour grapes.

Reply #532060 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sour grapes at all, my kids have been at the one club all their junior careers and have been very succesful in doing so, just stating what was said publicly by two Bulleen delegates.

Others such as Knox, Dandenong and Tigers all do it as well, just don't come out so publicly.

For the uneducated, poaching is one club officially, through club officials, parents or even players approaching players from other clubs armed with promises of greener pastures and opportunities. Not my definition, what was passed onto me by the VJBL, who are a toothless tiger.

My club isn't greatly effected by it but I have seen the damage it can do to other clubs and any club participating in it are just scum of the earth.

Just a personal opinion.

Reply #532091 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#532051 the career parent! what an asset to the sport of basketball you all are!

Reply #532092 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Every club does it. Some are just more open and aggressive about it.

Reply #532096 | Report this post

FUBR  
Years ago

There are many reasons why a child will change clubs and in the majority of circumstances is to do with a parent's perception of the capability of their child ie not in the team they think they should be in, or a personality conflict with a coach. Or even just straight out coaching methodology differences.

It is also easy to suggest that poaching is going on when 2 or more strong players from one club appear at another club. It is also perfectly understandable that the coach from the club losing the players would like to suggest it's poaching.

After all we wouldn't want to suggest their poor player/parent expectation management, or coaching attitude, or their performance could of have had something to do with it.

Naturally, parents discuss with each other how the seasons are progressing and their child's enjoyment, development... It is also natural for them to discuss if they are attending tryouts at other clubs. Many players try out at multiple clubs especially the ones that have some skill and are looking for their opportunity to play at a higher level, or feel that the opportunity will not be at their current club.

Advertising tryouts and having talented individuals attend on their own accord from other clubs is definitely not poaching. I believe all clubs advertise their tryouts.

Some clubs have supplementary development programs, others have good coaches and in some circumstances it is the on-court success that attracts parents to that club. I guess it's hoping that their child can be a part of the success.

Anyhow, I would suggest Bulleen has all 3; supplementary development, good coaches and on-court success.

Good luck to Bulleen and congratulations on the recent success, not only at the National Classic but also the many divisions of the Nunawading tournament

Ps I am very confident I am correct in saying 'Bulleen welcome all players to try out'.

Reply #532108 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Anon

"I don't understand how you can "poach" players?"

Let me count the ways....

Reply #532109 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

No

Reply #532110 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Knox u14s no way would they poach. Ask the coach and says no.

Reply #532111 | Report this post

BigBird  
Years ago

...Sigh... Who cares. They're just kids, let them play where they want to play.

Reply #532206 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Love it big bird

Reply #532208 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Weren't Sturt u18 boys 20+ point favourites?? They didn't even make top 4 & weren't the highest ranked SA team there!!! How could the woofers get it so wrong???

Reply #532216 | Report this post

Thread locked

This thread has been locked and replies are not permitted.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:43 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754