jingles
Years ago

Australia's "Top 50" basketball players

Herald Sun journalist Mike SHeahan releases an annual list of his top 50 AFL players in order.

It is much looked forward to and creates discussion.

Would anyone like to have a crack at Australia's top 50 basketball players eligible for the Boomers? Someone with exptensive knowledge and would require research to ensure no quality player is "forgotten".

This would obviously include players from all leagues such as NBL, NBA, ACB, NCAA, euroleague etc.

Players such as Khazzouh, Bose and Irving would be ineligible as they play for other nations despite having Australian roots.

Topic #37217 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nah I'm good.

Reply #531833 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I don't believe Khazzouh actually ever played for Lebanon and hence remains able to represent Australia. Bose has been playing for Kazahkstan and we all know Irving has chose to play for USA.

Would be a nice little exercise...

Reply #531834 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If I had a spare couple of hours I would.

Delly
Mills

Daylight

Rest

Reply #531853 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you think Delly and Mills are better then Bogut then you are kidding yourself.
Don't be fooled into rating Delly and Mills after only a few good games.
Remember Bogut has made an All NBA third team as well as a All NBA 2nd team defensive team.
A feat no Aussie has ever come close to.

Reply #531871 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bogut was statistically the 2nd best defender this year. Might look like a spud so far in the Finals but if everyone is ignoring Dellys offensive failings because he's a great defender then bogut deserves that same pass

Reply #531875 | Report this post

Greggo  
Years ago

Starting point:
Bogut
Mills
Baynes
Delly
Ingles
Exum
Broekhoff
Exum
Simmons
Bairstow
Newley
Anderson
Goulding
Jawai
Motum
THon Maker
Drmic
Khazzouh
Greenwood
McCarron
Mathiang (Mangok)
Deng Deng
Hooley

Reply #531880 | Report this post

jason  
Years ago

Greggo - Exum gets his name on the list twice?

And are you taking Hooley and others at this point in time of a proven guy like Gibbo?

Reply #531883 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bogut
Mills
Dellavadova
Baynes
Ingles
Maric
Jawai
Exum
Newley
Broekhoff

is my top 10

Reply #531884 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bairstow
Goulding
Andersen
Simmons
Motum
Maker
Gibson
Worthington
Blanchfield
Ogilvy

would be my 10-20

Reply #531885 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Greggo, I was with you until you started giving college guys spots over long standing NBL players.

THon Maker - yet to actually prove anything. There are plenty of centres above him at the moment

Drmic - would be below Gliddon and Blanchfield for me. Yet to prove anything against men.

Khazzouh - What's he done for me lately? He is probably somewhere in the 50, but not this high.

Greenwood - surely Gibson and Martin get a pass over him at this point?

McCarron - nice player, could be the heir apparent to Newley / Goulding, still unproven. Would be in the latter half of my 50.

Mathiang (Mangok) - Whats he really done?

Deng Deng - as above?

Hooley - As above.

Reply #531887 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lauren Jackson

Add some blokes if you wish but she dominated the sport of basketball for years.

Reply #531889 | Report this post

Greggo  
Years ago

Just a starting point as I said. Just throwing in some names off the top of my head. The second Exum was Cecil. Think he can make a return from retirement for Rio

Reply #531893 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bogut, Mills, Delly all better players than LJ. Would like to see LJ go up against the likes of Durant, Lebron and Curry

Reply #531899 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd actually like to see Bogut do for basketball in this country what LJ has done.

Reply #531903 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The problem you have with a list like this is that Sheahan rates based on performance (at least nominally).

A majority of the "best" australian players are playing bit part roles (or are end of the bench types) and are being rated based almost exclusively on the league they are playing in.

Performance wise players like D-Martin, Gibson, Worthington, Trigger etc have performed at starter level in a lower league consistently while someone like Bairstow barely sees any games as a bench player in the top competition in the world. How do you accurately compare them?

For those saying that the fact that they made an NBA roster should automatically rank them higher I think you are being shortsighted. For example Luke Schenscher made an NBA roster but few would argue that he deserves to be rated in the top 50 players.

Reply #531906 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Yes but Bairstow made Boomers world champs roster so that puts him up there.

Reply #531915 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ed Palubinskas

Reply #531916 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I think most Australian NBL players inside their clubs top 6 players would be top 50 overall. Keep in mind this means 8 clubs minus 16 imports plus probably another 8 kiwis. This is 24 players plus 26 from europe and the usa.

Reply #531920 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

Don't forget all the defunct clubs - lots of those!

Reply #531922 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

Check out previous thread on a similar topic "Top 10 Australian Basketballers of All Time" from 2 years ago

Reply #531925 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Australia only had about 75 truly professional basketball players last season (two in Asia, seven in USA, nine in Europe and 55-60 in the NBL), so a top 50 list would be about two thirds the total. Given only about 4-5 college players graduate to professional ranks each year, there isn't a lot more to take from there either.

Reply #531928 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

Great idea, thought I would give 50 a crack. I'm assuming top 50 active men players.....here goes

1. Bogut
2. Mills
3. Baynes
4. Ingles
5. Delly
6. Exum
7. Simmons
8. Newly
9. Bairstow
10. Goulding
11. Motum
12. Maric
13. Broekhoff
14. Jawai
15. D. Martin
16. Madgen
17. Gibson
18. Anderson
19. Khazzouh
20. Ogilvy
21. Knight
22. Johnson
23. Redhage
24. Blanchfield
25. Creek
26. Carter
27. Maker
28. R. Martin
29. Barlow
30. Petrie
31. Gliddon
32. Worthington
33. Brandt
34. Dillon
35. Forman
36. Drimic
37. Neville
38. Tragardh
39. Greenwood
40. Markovich
41. Walker
42. Waggestaff
43. Loughton
44. Kickert
45. Trist
46. Garlepp
47. Coenraad
48. Jois
49. Hire
50. McCarron

Reply #531936 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not a bad effort Flinders80, not bad at all. I take it they are in order too? That being the case Baynes may be a bit high at (3) for me.

Reply #531939 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good job on having a crack Flinders80, not much to disagree with there mate!

Reply #531941 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Its a good list. I don't think there is anyone that has missed out on the list. However, for mine, some guys are misplaced. Madgen hasn't done anything in atleast 2 years to justify coming before Blanchfield - who is the NBL's emerging Aussie star. I also don't rate him above Gliddon, Johnson, Gibson or Anderson. I also think Mccarron would be better than 50th. I can't imagine Cooenrad being better than Mccarron. Clint Steindl probably deserves Cooenrads spot. Other than that, pretty close.

Reply #531947 | Report this post

Your cousin  
Years ago

NO JONAH BOLDEN?

Reply #532028 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:22 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754