Orbs
Years ago

Dellys contract

What do people think Delly will be getting as a free agent this year?

If he stays at Cleveland because of the cap room they have I don't see it being huge- maybe 2 mil a year for two or three years.

Does he leave Cleveland for more money? Or does lebron constantly talking him up make him want to stay?

Topic #37224 | Report this topic

GWB  
Years ago

If I were Delly, I would stay in Cleveland. He has a good thing going there.

Reply #532073 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

The more pertinent question could be, 'does LeBron have a spare million in his back pocket to put towards Delly's next contract?'

Reply #532076 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lets not get carried away by two good games in the finals.
Delly is not ever going to get a massive contract. Once irving comes back he will be stuck on the bench for most of the season.
Hes not good enough for a starting role on any team and hes not a good enough shooter to play alongside irving in a bigger role.
If he wants a bigger contract he will have to go to a lower team.

Everyone take a deep breath!!

Reply #532095 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

After today's game he's looking at $4-5m per now.

Reply #532097 | Report this post

Orbs  
Years ago

Actually, Delly is quite a good 3 point shooter. Can't remember where I read it but Delly was one of 7 players to shoot 40% from 3 and to shoot x amount of his shots from the 3 point line. It was a pretty high percentage of shots, but the other 6 players included Danny green and JJ redick, both well known sharpshooters.

Delly has the potential to be a decent 3&D player, but I agree he'll never be a starting point gaurd. Around $2m a year for his defence and ability from 3 seems reasonable if not a little high based on his playoff reputation and play

Reply #532098 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let's not get too carried away with a few good games. He has to be consistant over a full season to even think about getting a big contract.
He's played two good games, that doesn't qualify a player for a big contract.
He had a pretty bad regular season and was terrible in game 1.
He will never be a starter and he's not a good enough shooter to play big minutes alongside Irving when he gets back!
Everyone needs to take a big deep breath and not over react after only two games.

Reply #532100 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

4-5 million a year? Are you kidding me!!
No way any team pays him that! Patty was more consistant all year last year and in the playoffs and only got 4 mill a year!
General managers don't over react like fans do so I will be quite sure he won't be getting that!

Reply #532102 | Report this post

Orbs  
Years ago

Here's the article I read re: dellys 3 point usefulness

https://m.reddit.com/r/clevelandcavs/comments/2umtks/3_and_d_in_defense_of_the_very_misunderstood/

"If you look at this list, you have Korver, Reddick, Babbit, Patterson, Green, and Singler... and Delly. All 7 players take more than half their shots from 3 point range. All 7 players make more than 40% of those shots. And all 7 players exclusively do the catch-and-shoot (90%+ of their 3s are assisted)."

Reply #532103 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

FFS this is the 7th Delly thread on this page.
What is wrong with you people!!!

Reply #532104 | Report this post

Orbs  
Years ago

How dare we talk about Australians on an Australian basketball site

Reply #532106 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"4-5 million a year? Are you kidding me!!
No way any team pays him that! Patty was more consistant all year last year and in the playoffs and only got 4 mill a year!
General managers don't over react like fans do so I will be quite sure he won't be getting that!"

The only reason Mills got $3-4m a year was because it's the Spurs and Mills was willing to give them a discount to re-sign.

I'm not saying Delly will get $4-5m a year from the Cavs but I bet you some crap team offers him that. He's the Cavs 2nd or 3rd best player this series performing on the worlds biggest stage.

Reply #532112 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

He is one of the top 3 performers on the Cavs this season, but he isn't one of the top 3 talents on the team. I think he could reasonably ask for 2 million a season. Much more is a stretch. If I were a GM, i'd put 2 mill down on him for the 8th-10th spot on the roster. On a full and healthy roster he is probably good for 10-15 minutes a game, and reliable enough that if you need to give him more, you know hes going to take it with open arms.

Reply #532113 | Report this post

Jono  
Years ago

Well said Orbs! Every thread for the next week should be about Delly.

I think more the point with the Delly contract is how many years. And also if the Cavs win.

Cavs win scenario = 5 year contract $2.5M per year plus performance bonuses.

Cavs lose = 3 year contract $3M per year, plus less performance bonus.

Either way he won't go anywhere. He's a Cav for the next 3 years at least id say.

Reply #532117 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"He is one of the top 3 performers on the Cavs this season..."

Um, what?

Reply #532118 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hope GWB meant post season, in which case he's not wrong. Lebron, TT, Delly would be my top 3

Reply #532121 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I'd say 2 million would be reasonable

Reply #532127 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Delly more important than mozgov? Don't think so.

How well does delly create shots for himself? Is he hitting those threes off the dribble or getting wide open from lebron getting double teamed?

Reply #532136 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

JR Smith has been far better in these playoffs than Delly.

Reply #532139 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mozgov yes, I'd say JR just edged out by Dellys D

Reply #532141 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Miller time is over, there's a few million they can spare!

Reply #532144 | Report this post

Orbs  
Years ago

If love leaves there's a max contract available ;)

Reply #532145 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seriously you lot need to take a good hard look at what your spewing out here. Matt is more than good enough in a starting roll, he's just proved what he can do when given the opportunity, didn't see anyone else stepping up out of the starting 5 , it was the Le Bron and Delly show.
Tall poppy syndrome at its finest you all need to pull your heads in

Reply #532146 | Report this post

Orbs  
Years ago

Delusional if you think he could this for 82 games. Why is the U.S. and Aussie media going crazy over it? Because it's so unexpected that he has done it. Showed absolutely nothing during the season which is why everyone's going mental over his playoff performances. Hell he hasn't even played three good games in a row. Was terrible game 1.

Reply #532150 | Report this post

Swagger  
Years ago

From what I see, the Cavaliers have won 2 of 2 with Delly in the starting role against the best and arguably deepest team in the league. With Kyrie starting they were 0 of 1 against this team. But no guys he definitely isn't good enough. If the best player in the world talks him up this much why are us Aussies not allowed to?

When given a shot Delly has stepped up and played out of his shoes. Give the kid some credit, I'm guessing half of you guys are just people who hate LeBron and don't want the Cavs to win.

Reply #532154 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So you're saying Delly is better than Kyrie?

Reply #532155 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

6.7 points 2 rebounds 2.5 assists this playoffs.

Starter quality for the 76ers maybe but that's about it.

Reply #532158 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I like the Twitter comments comparing Delly-mania to Linsanity 3 years ago and remember that Lin got offered a 3 year $25m contract on the back of a couple of good months of basketball which everyone knows was paying overs.

Delly will not get anything near those numbers, but a team with cap space looking to compete next year and looking for a back-up PG might trow up $4m per season over 3.

If the Cavs win the championship, I would say Delly resigns with the Cavs for say $9m over 3 years with 3rd year a 50% team option.

Also - of all the NBA player love for Delly today on Twitter, I reckon having a shout out from Scottie Pippen was the best!!

Reply #532159 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Lin had played in 35 games for the Knicks, averaging 14.6 points and 6.2 assists per game."

Delly has 7 points 2 assists in 16 playoff games, and roughly the same regular season stats.

Dellys defense will get him some money as a back up point gaurd off the bench but pretty much no one would have him as a starting pg anywhere other than the Boomers

Reply #532161 | Report this post

Orbs  
Years ago

Just found this:

"Dellavedova will be a restricted free agent for this coming off-season meaning the Cavaliers could hold the right to match any offer he receives from another club if they give him a $1.1 million "qualifying offer" before free agency by June 30."

Odds on he will end up on that I'm guessing?

Reply #532164 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He'd be stupid to agree to play for $1.1m next season. He should hold out like Baynes did who got a $1m raise from the Spurs.

Reply #532177 | Report this post

Orbs  
Years ago

They way I understand it (and if I'm wrong correct me) is that if he is offered a qualifying offer as a RFA and no other team offers him more, the qualifying offer is automatically his new contract for the next season. At the end of that year he becomes an unrestricted free agent and can sign wherever.

So if no one offers him more than $1.1 million he has to stay with Cleveland for $1.1 million. If they do offer more Cavs have the right to match and keep him for the offer the other team made or let him go.

Knowing that the Cavs can and probably would match an offer around $2 million makes me wonder if other clubs will even bother offering him a contract and that he'll end up on the $1.1 million because of that.

Reply #532181 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

"I hope GWB meant post season, in which case he's not wrong. Lebron, TT, Delly would be my top 3"

Yes, I did mean post season.

"He'd be stupid to agree to play for $1.1m next season. He should hold out like Baynes did who got a $1m raise from the Spurs."

No, I don't think that would be stupid. I think the guy needs to make sure he has a contract. Just because he is performing now, doesn't mean teams will jump at him. GM's may just think it is an anomaly that he is playing this way. Assuming they offer him a contract - I am sure they will - sign with the Cavs. He has a good thing there.

Reply #532183 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"They way I understand it (and if I'm wrong correct me) is that if he is offered a qualifying offer as a RFA and no other team offers him more, the qualifying offer is automatically his new contract for the next season."

Incorrect, see Baynes last offseason. He refused to sign his $1.1m QO from the Spurs, held out threatened to go back to Europe etc and then eventually the Spurs gave him a 1 year deal for $2.1m. He's a free agent from July 1.

What it meant was if he and the Spurs didn't agree to a new deal and he played in Europe the Spurs would have retained his NBA rights.

Reply #532184 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"The Legend of Delly grows - from undrafted to the second-best starter on a team leading the NBA Finals in just two years."

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/06/10/matthew-dellavedova-finally-ran-out-of-gas-only-after-propelling-cavaliers-to-game-3-win/

Reply #532186 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So I was almost correct except I didn't realise players could reject them! Learn something new every day. Thanks for setting me right.

What happens if you reject a qualifying offer? Are you instantly a unrestricted free agent?

Reply #532191 | Report this post

Orbs  
Years ago

Oops, that was my reply. Private browsing always removes my info, forgot to put it back in.

Reply #532192 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whatever is going on with other players in Cavs or elsewhere, history is history and now this is the future.. With a wrap like below from Scottie Pippen, I'm thinking everyones opinion is null and void and the Delly reset button is now in Respect mode so sit back and watch the ride and enjoy the success yet another Australian is enjoying, as well as all of us Ball fans.. What a great series.. best in ages.. Scottie Pippen after Dellys Game 3. 'There is no denying Dellavedova has been a difference maker this series. Who could have seen that coming? #NBAFinals'

Reply #532199 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

There are 4 guys in the Cavs who they couldn't win a finals game without - Lebron James, Tristan Thompson, Timofy Mosgov and Matthew Dellavedova - aka Outback Jesus.

Reply #532200 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Take any one of those guys out and I don't think the Cavs would be in this. All four have been outstanding

Reply #532201 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/06/09/matthews-dellavedovas-charmed-banked-in-and-one-slows-warriors-run-video/

Some of the Delly meme pics in the comments of this article are hilarious.

I'm still laughing at that Curry family pic!

Reply #532202 | Report this post

Orbs  
Years ago

That was the most ridiculous shot. Will never understand how he made that fall

Reply #532207 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What was his court time like before irvings injury?

Reply #532210 | Report this post

Orbs  
Years ago

Vs golden state
9 game 1
38 game 2 no Kyrie
42 game 3 no Kyrie

Vs Hawks
16 game 4 with Kyrie but blowout and bench emptied
45 game 3 (OT) no Kyrie
37 game 2 no Kyrie
25 game 1 with kyrie

Reply #532212 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #532213 | Report this post

Orbs  
Years ago

And because I'm bored

Vs Bulls
Game 6 34 Kyrie played 12
Game 5 18
Game 4 17
Game 3 16
Game 2 35 with kyrie
Game 1 18

Reply #532214 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So his minutes are reflective of his results, that certainly does not indicate a player who is not starting 5 material, it indicates a player who is more than capable when given the opportunity.
Many players suffer the same fate

Reply #532217 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wouldn't say that. Averages 15-20 when Kyrie plays and 40 when he doesn't. Exactly what you'd expect from a backup point gaurd on a team that has no third string pg. in 13 games there's only two where he plays 25+ minutes when Kyrie is healthy and plays.

Lebrons averaging 42 minutes a game for THE ENTIRE PLAYOFFS. Delly plays 80 in two games and he ends up on an IV

Reply #532222 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

On Wednesday, Dellavedova had the best-selling NBA player jersey on Fanatics, the nation's largest licensed online sports retailer.

Call it supply and Dell-mand.

http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2015/story/_/id/13053695/2015-nba-finals-matthew-dellavedova-cleveland-cavaliers-jersey-flying-shelves

Reply #532229 | Report this post

savaloid  
Years ago

Having followed his season pretty closely I would be guessing he would be looking at $3 million plus in a new contract. With the cap increase coming up expect to see pay rises across the board.

A 34 year old Mike Miller made $2.8 million this season and his minutes are way below Delly's. A still relatively young player with some room for improvement you would have to think $3 million a year would be a reasonable offer.

Only issue is the number of other Cav players deserving new increased contracts, TT, JR and Schump would all be looking (and deserving) of more money in the off season. Depends on how much luxury tax Dan Gilbert is willing to pay.

Reply #532232 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sick of people stating you're not true Aussie if you don't agree with everything posted about Delly.

Why should you agree with unrealistic comments just because they're said about someone from Australia?

Where's the reasoning behind him signing for $5m a year? That's a remote possibility

Stating results from 3 games that imply that Cavs would win more games with Delly starting than Irving. That's just silly. If they didn't have Irving they may not even be in the finals.

Saying Lebron is raving about him is true but he's raving about effort. I don't think anyone disagrees that Delly work rate is unbelievable but do you think Lebron would be pushing for the cavs to move Irvings max contract as he believes Delly is the answer? I think not.

Lebron has made Delly a better offense player due to the attention he commands. He allows him to have open shots and also create space and lanes. Would Delly be as effective elsewhere without a Lebron type player (there's not many around)?

Also if he could start elsewhere name the point guards in the league that you would replace with Delly?

We can all love the fact an Aussie is doing well but doesn't mean you have to make it back ridiculous comments.

Reply #532234 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exactly!

Another thing to consider is the cap is going to massively increase next season so he might end up on more than we expect through that happening because there is more money floating around.

Reply #532239 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

"Sick of people stating you're not true Aussie if you don't agree with everything posted about Delly.

Why should you agree with unrealistic comments just because they're said about someone from Australia?

Where's the reasoning behind him signing for $5m a year? That's a remote possibility

Stating results from 3 games that imply that Cavs would win more games with Delly starting than Irving. That's just silly. If they didn't have Irving they may not even be in the finals.

Saying Lebron is raving about him is true but he's raving about effort. I don't think anyone disagrees that Delly work rate is unbelievable but do you think Lebron would be pushing for the cavs to move Irvings max contract as he believes Delly is the answer? I think not.

Lebron has made Delly a better offense player due to the attention he commands. He allows him to have open shots and also create space and lanes. Would Delly be as effective elsewhere without a Lebron type player (there's not many around)?

Also if he could start elsewhere name the point guards in the league that you would replace with Delly?

We can all love the fact an Aussie is doing well but doesn't mean you have to make it back ridiculous comments.
"

What I like about this comment is that it is justifiable criticism and not just hate. And it is entirely true. But as for all players, they need the right pieces around them to fit and thats what he has in Cleveland. Put it this way, would Lebron James be as successful playing with Kobe Bryant? All players need the right parts around them. And agreed, Delly will not start consistently in the NBA.

Reply #532243 | Report this post

unnamed  
Years ago

he will be resigned because of the salary cap, the cavs will likely be over the cap when the came to resign delly, and will find it hard to replace him with limited money if he is let go and lebron loves him, and wont want him let go. the cavs will want to reup their whole team because they will find it hard to get adequate replacements because of cap issues, especially with the Thompson raise.

Reply #532245 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It is already common knowledge guys, if the Cavs win the 'ship Delly will not have to buy a beer or a burger in Cleveland Ohio for the rest of his life!

That's got to be worth some big $$$ right there.

Reply #532246 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Delly bringing a championship to cleveland in just his second year with the team would be huge in the state of Ohio.

Reply #532249 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

An article about Dellys contract http://www.foxsports.com.au/us-sports/matthew-dellavedova-set-to-cash-in-on-remarkable-playoff-run/story-e6frf6ju-1227392754309

Reply #532305 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

he wont get more than 2-3 mil from the Cavs because of the salary cap but he might get more elsewhere. Cavs have to resign Love, Thomson, and decide on the option for Timofey

Reply #532306 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lebron makes everyone look good. Put Delly on any other team he doesn't have the same impact

Reply #532307 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Delly had a solid impact before LeBron.

Reply #532668 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yep, Delly was one of the Cavs' leading +- last season from memory.

Reply #532679 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So anyone else thinking he should jump on that 1.1 million qualifying offer?

Reply #532884 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:27 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754