Dazz
Years ago

What SHOULD the NBL do DIFFERENTLY?

With a new guy in charge, and apparently a few dollars to spend, this is probably the best chance for improvement we're ever going to get.
In fact if fans have sensible suggestions, we would probably forward them to the NBL and Kestleman. Probably won't get more than a polite "thanks for your interest," but who knows.

Personally, I'm really interested in what fans think would work.
By necessity, issues need to be within the NBL's control. So a "better TV deal" whilst obvious, doesn't really say much.

So, here's a few ideas for discussion:
1) Scheduling of games...
More OR Less games per week?
Shorter or Longer Season?
More midweek games, more night games, double-headers, 3-ways, etc.

2) Online Presense...
Improved NBL TV?
Replays on tenplay, or Netflix or similar?
Better stats, or interactive highlights?

3) TV deal
Should the NBL pursue most CASH, or best exposure?
More games per week televised, or BLOCKBUSTER games in prime time?

4) Salary Cap & Marquee Players...
More flexibility to hire MPs outside the cap, OR Less?
Increase or Lower the Cap?
Should LK subsidise MPs for every club?

5) Expansion. Yes but,
Should the NBL AGGRESSIVELY pursue expansion, OR wait for rock-solid proposals to come to them?
Major Cities (including "2nd teams") OR regional markets?
Millionaire Owners, OR Community models?

Topic #37226 | Report this topic

Ricey  
Years ago

First moves should be drop the points cap, fix the websites and make them updated far more regularly, increase social network presence, aggressively market league and teams, lock in prime time TV slots with a pre game tv show once a week, stop teams from changing logos and uniforms regularly as it is irritating as all hell and doesn't help improve branding... As for the marketing they need to reach out to other people in the media, as they could do a lot of it cheaper and more effectively than they have. Another idea to boost public notice is to give free season tickets for local celebrities who have a large young fan base, or even those who are just widely known. For example Hilltop Hoods in Adelaide, Bliss n Eso in Sydney, and so on.

Reply #532215 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Enforce a salary cap. Drop the salary cap and then drop the points cap. Until that can be done, same same.

Reply #532218 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Something basic but goes overlooked.
Tell the story on the players!
Height, junior club, college, off season stats etc if playing other leagues. Imports back story etc
Give us something that we can engage with the players on.
Look how much has already come out in states about delly.
Did they play state? When? How did they go?
Hard to engage with players, especially for new fans trying to attract to the game.
This is an easy low cost initiative that could be done

Reply #532226 | Report this post

Go back to 48 minutes, hate watching a 63-57 game.

Reply #532228 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

-12 min qrts
-all games live on Fox with 1 on Fri or Sat night live on FTA
-scrap the point system
-adopt all NBA rules as this is the product which people want to watch as it leads to more points & dunks

Reply #532231 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the NBL are serious about improving the overall product they really need to start with the overall calling of the game. With the injection of funds this is a great opportunity to employ the best referees in Australia on full-time contracts.

Reply #532236 | Report this post

Larry K  
Years ago

Thanks for your suggestions guys, I will be sure to implement each and every one of them.

Reply #532241 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bring back the 'DO', like what that cat Cecil Exum used to wear and those tight shorts, yeah!

Reply #532248 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Go back to 48 minutes, hate watching a 63-57 game.
You realise that's exactly as entertaining as a 76-68 game, right? It has nothing to do with the length of the game.

adopt all NBA rules as this is the product which people want to watch as it leads to more points & dunks
If the NBL did that, I'd probably stop watching. There are better-quality entertainmentball leagues I can easily watch; I watch the NBL for basketball.

Reply #532267 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

The NBL has failed to capitalise on the NBA Finals, and the fact we have 2 NBA players playing big roles.

I feel like they are already on the wrong foot, again!

Reply #532274 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Watch the NBL for basketball? This is why the league is struggling... not too many people want to watch pure basketball over entertainment... Anyway the NBA is basketball & is the best basketball league in the world & FIBA needs to adopt its rules before they too struggle...

Reply #532289 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lower the ring so someone other than the imports can dunk frequently

Reply #532290 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

What is "pure" basketball anymore anyways? The rules and regulations are always changing. Wasn't the FIBA 3 point line extended just a few years ago?

Reply #532297 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yeah it was extended but still not as long as the NBA 3 point line...

Reply #532313 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

It pisses me off when NBL schedule games in NSW on Bathurst weekend... We shouldn't be thinking of competing at all ever!

No way would I be happy with Foxtel and as long as I can watch every game on NBL.tv then I'll be happy.

48 minute games is certainly desirable

I like playing each team 4 times a season makes me happy as we get atleast 2 chances to see outstanding imports come to town.

I'm happy to add more regional teams and for them to be community models but no extra team should be entered with substandard courts but I'd love to see Tasmania, Newcastle, Canberra, Geelong enter. I'd like super cheap deals on NBL.tv for members especially in community models for away games.
I think capital city teams should have the rich owners.

I think we need an overhaul on the stats we see during a game as it's utterly pathetic and often wrong and I fell in love with basketball because the statistical side fascinated me and I'm sure there are youngsters out there that would also feel this way if basketball gets its act together statistically.

I'm not smart enough to make a proper opinion on salary caps/points system... I just know I want more teams and even 4 extra teams will dilute even the greatest of dynasties and I think that has its advantages as we have so many role players that you want to see go to the next level in the league!

League really needs to have much better website and articles on everyone would be great. The golden age of NBL made players household names and as great as it would be to get to know your new import before a game; in this day and age we have NBL.com.au and that should be available for every fan to get to see the interviews and highlight packages and player history... Sadly all club websites are poor at this and I think every club website's info should be automatically put on NBL website so we have features and stories on there all the time

I hope this gets to NBL and thanks for the opportunity to express my feelings

Reply #532401 | Report this post

Hardwood Hero  
Years ago

adopt all NBA rules as this is the product which people want to watch as it leads to more points & dunks.

Like Koberulz said "I watch the NBL for basketball"

NBA is more entertainment than real Basketball, just look what happened when Delly scraps for the loose ball, the yanks start crying, calling him a dirty player & saying he's taking out peoples legs. Or when he guarded Curry, up in his face, not this "i'll sand 5ft away from you & just stick my hand out.

Reply #532742 | Report this post

Todd  
Years ago

1. Revert to NBA rules
2. Bring in a Brisbane team and another Melbourne team
3. Don't play midweek games except for New Zealand on a Thursday night. Get the players to visit schools
4. Limit the amount of Friday games for Melbourne team's due to rep ball
5. Create an Asian cup after the NBL season
6. When travelling try to fixture games in the same state or near state ie Adelaide/Perth, Melbourne/South East Melbourne/New Zealand , Hawks/Kings, Brisbane/Townsville/Cairns
7.Mention before go into the schools
8. Get Netflix on board or get TV coverage
9. Cheap tickets - get the crowds to get the sponsers
10. Basketball presenters to be positive about the game and not be negative towards umpiring or coaching decisions.

Reply #532758 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lead

Reply #532759 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:44 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754