Anonymous
Years ago

LK: "All NBL games on FTA a mission impossible"

Well of course that was going to be the case at this stage.

The NBL needs ALL games telecast.

Perhaps 1 or 2 on Free to air each week and every other game needs to be telecast on FOX Sports.

This is the best outcome Larry Kestleman can hope to achieve, at this stage.

Topic #37232 | Report this topic

GWB  
Years ago

They won't get all games on TV. Simply not happening. They need to be happy if they get 2-3 games on FTA a week on a channel that is not ten, and that NBL.TV lifts it game.

Reply #532273 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is it even good for all games to be on FTA?
Wouldn't that just stop more people from coming to games? There aren't that many basketball fans out there.

Reply #532275 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

Who uses foxtel anymore though?

Paid online streaming is the way to go.

I'll be damned if I have to subscribe to foxtel just for the NBL.

Reply #532280 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

a lot of sport lovers have foxtel because of the AFL, A league,NBA, cricket etc & the NBL being on FOX would only make fox more appealing..

There are a lot of basketball fans here, just not NBL fans...

Reply #532282 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Even the AFL doesn't have all games on Free to air so 2 games on free to air would be acceptable with some on Pay TV as well. Having games on TV won't affect crowds I would think there is nothing better than live sport

Reply #532283 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Is it even good for all games to be on FTA?
Wouldn't that just stop more people from coming to games? There aren't that many basketball fans out there."

Completely wrong.

Television creates more interest in the game and in turn, more people attend games.

People also tend to forget that television also brings in crucial sponsorship dollars.

All successful sporting codes have a great television broadcast deal.

Reply #532288 | Report this post

Phil  
Years ago

So all games telecast on fta would be impossible and not worth it. To have all of your states teams telecast (I think this is what he is refering to here) would be awesome. And I dont think impossible , but highly highly unlikely.

Reply #532291 | Report this post

kr  
Years ago

Is there a sport anywhere that has all games on free to air? 2-3 games on fta and the rest on fox sports would be the perfect mix.

Online streaming (apple box - $5 per week) would make fox a more affordable option now rather than $50 plus per month for foxtel box at home.

Reply #532292 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

Yeah I would go:
2 games on FTA broadcasting LIVE.
Remainder on Fox LIVE.

If the NBL was playing 2 games per team per week (As it should) Then i would schedule it 2 games thursday, friday, saturday, sunday

Take advantage of the time zone differences between WA, NZ and the rest. Double headers can easily work. I would look for a FTA Thurs and Sun to start with, then double headers on fox FRI and SAT.

Reply #532310 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's already said it's looking like 2-3 games on FTA and the rest on Foxtel so doesn't look like there will be a need for nbl.tv next season.

Reply #532319 | Report this post

Jono  
Years ago

Yep nbl.tv needs to lift! Forget Foxsmell. There is absolutely no way id renew my nbl.tv subscription in its current form. But an improved version be good. Try get a few fta games through the year.

Reply #532327 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Is it even good for all games to be on FTA?
Wouldn't that just stop more people from coming to games? There aren't that many basketball fans out there.

Completely wrong.

Television creates more interest in the game and in turn, more people attend games.

I used to think this, but I wonder.
I think that PRIME time certainly boosts support, but only a committed fan stays up to 1am to watch their team.

Back when Basketball was in its Golden Age in Australia, the networks adopted a synergistic support model. 7 had AFL, 9 NRL, and 10 NBL.
Problem is that they soon realised that say in Perth, 9 & 10 news would generate more interest with a story on the Eagles, than one on the Reds or Wildcats.

Reply #532341 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:37 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754