Anonymous
Years ago

Big V registration

I noticed melbourne scm signed a new player for his first game on the weekend. He had 30 points. Melbourne only have 9 games left after playing 15 already. I noticed in the big v rules it states that you cant sign a player if he can't qualify for finals. This signing could cost teams battling to make finals a win.

Topic #37254 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

So why can't he make finals?

Reply #532792 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Because you have to play in 40% of your teams games for the season. It's impossible for him to play that many to qualify

Reply #532794 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well then you should be good enough to win...

Reply #532795 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did you notice the application was placed when they had 13 games of their 24 remaining. It was approved when they had 11 remaining. Not saying it's right but maybe this is the way they 'got around' the Big V by laws? Also noticed Melbourne signed another from Waverley this week. His numbers weren't as good as Dexter's so not sure he will have as big of an nfluence on results, but the timing would suggest the Big V turn a blind eye to their own bylaws when it suits them.

Reply #532798 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne have manipulated the VJBL for decades, now it is the turn of the Big V?

Reply #532811 | Report this post

Broncs  
Years ago

You don't have to play 40% you just have to register why your team still has enough games to play to qualify for finals should you play the remaining games. That has always been the rule.

Reply #532817 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You have to be registered AND suit up for 40% of the games.

Reply #532832 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

half plus one

Reply #532857 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Suiting up alone wont get you finals eligibility either, you have to actually enter the court in 40% of your teams games.

Big V By-Laws around this is poorly worded which causes confusion.

They state that if a player play 19.1 games then it is rounded up to the higher number eg (20)games played....

WTF how can a player play .1 of a games ??

Needs to read differently, it is not that hard to determine the minimum amount of games to be played at the start of the season and inform the competing clubs.

If there are 24 rounds then all you need to decide is if the minimum amount is 9 or 10 games as 40% is 9.6.

If there is 22 rounds just need to decide if 8 or 9 games is required as a minimum as 40% of 22 is 8.8.

They need to get their wording right though !!

Reply #532864 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ I beg to differ. Firstly any player can register at any time as long as they are able to qualify for finals.

Qualification for finals is playing in 40% of the games. Simply, if there are 20 games in the season, then you have to actually play in 8 games. If there are 21 games in a season, clearly you can't play in 8.4 games, so the rules state any faction is rounded up to the next highest number, in this case the qualification for a 21 game season would be actually playing in 9.

I'm not a fan of the way the Tigers go about some things, but they are within their rights to register a player provided they are able to qualify whether that be before the first game or right on the death knock. If that player plays, but does not end up meeting the finals qualification, then they can't play finals.

I believe there is a medical exception that can be used but not sure of the details.

To me in this instance there is no 'getting around the rules', the rules are clear IMO.

Reply #533021 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:08 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754