Anonymous
Years ago

Melbourne Boomers Development Squad

MELBOURNE BOOMERS ANNOUNCE DEVELOPMENT PLAYERS
The Melbourne Boomers have selected eight Development Players for the 2015/16 WNBL season following rigorous tryout sessions aimed at unearthing some of the best emerging talent from across Victoria.
More than 15 basketball associations from across Melbourne and regional areas were represented by more than 40 players during the tryout period, pleasing Coach Guy Molloy as he worked through the process of selecting the eight players set to join his senior squad.
"The Melbourne Boomers have completed another exciting tryout process for our WNBL Development Player positions and like last year we had interest from more than 40 talented young players," said Molloy.
“We have had a very difficult time selecting eight suitable players to fill our final spots, but we have found a very talented young group to work with.”
“It will be exciting to watch them emerge as players through the season and perhaps some may even earn some WNBL minutes,” added Molloy.
2015/16 Melbourne Boomers Development Players
Kasey Burton (Ballarat)
Lucy Cochrane (Sandringham)
Grace Collett (Diamond Valley)
Chloe Molloy (Eltham)
Genna Ogier (Eltham)
Maddison Rocci (Werribee/Geelong)
Ashleigh Stewart (McKinnon)
Courtenay Wragg (Bulleen)

Topic #37258 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where are all the Bulleen girls? - just goes to show - all you parents who are tricked into going to Bulleen juniors with the promise of a WNBL career for your girls - Don't do it!!!

Reply #533022 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Ignorant comment. Bulleen don't encourage players with the promise of anything.

Melbourne Boomers represents all clubs and includes players based on talent, not which club you play with. You did notice there is one very talented Bulleen player in there, didn't you?

Reply #533024 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ And I suppose you believe in Father Christmas and the Easter Bunny!!!

Reply #533025 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

533022 You are deluded. Melbourne Boomers whilst is owned by Bulleen want to embrace all associations. It has zero to do with a Bulleen pathway. Its about recognising the best young talent and bringing them into the program. If it happens to be a Bulleen player well then good for them. In this case there was and she is a great athlete and can play as well.

Dont come on here with your uneducated opinion which has no substance

Reply #533030 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Deluded? Uneducated? You are kidding. Why do you think so many parents send their girls to Bulleen?
Why does Bulleen get so many players from other clubs after they are finished at under 12's.
It's the WNBL carrot that they dangle to dillusional parents.
It was exactly the same in the Boys with Melbourne Tigers - when they were in the NBL.
Truth is that the parents all send their future superstars with the lure of the WNBL.
Truth is - as the squad above shows - you don't have to be a Bulleen player - so parents - stop being tricked into sending your children there from other clubs - stay at home - work on your kids game - you will have more chance of making it than if you go to Bulleen

Reply #533032 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anonymous you are a fool!! I`ve got nothing to do with Bulleen as I coach womens elsewhere. If i had a daughter I`d want them in juniors at Bulleen or Knox. Both have proven that they produce the goods over a long time now and the teams get great coaching not just from mums and dads.

Ignorant hating based comment.

Reply #533033 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anonymous sounds so sad, so bitter.

Reply #533036 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

you all missed the obvious, Guy Molloy is a country coach
half of those are actually in the Vic Country NITP/HPP, Melbourne Boomers was supposed to be a club that was for all of Melbourne not just Bulleen anyway.
And if parents were really realistic they would look and see that very few WNBL teams fill their rosters with former Juniors, those juniors that go right through are generally exceptionally good and would probably get picked up anyway by a decent WNBL team.
Concentrate on your kids development not were you think they aught to be, if they are good enough they will get there in the end.

Reply #533039 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If youre dumb enough to think sending your kid to a certain club as an 11 year old will result in playing wnbl/nbl then your kid has no chance.

Reply #533040 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

and I wouldn't get too excited about being in the development group, they don't do a hell of a lot once the season gets underway.

Reply #533041 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why do so many parents send their girls there?
It can't be the facilities - The Sheehans rd courts are not even full sized basketball courts! Can't shoot a Three from the sides without stepping out of Court!!

Reply #533042 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Guy Molloy chose I believe the best juniors he could. He had 40 kids on the floor. Those who know Guy would also know he doesnt show bias to anyone. And for the uneducated, maybe you should talk to the DP's from last year from Melbourne Boomers and just see how happy they were to be given the opportunity to be involved with a very professional team on and off the court. I know people involved and they are run better than any other basketball organisation

Reply #533048 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Very talented group, could see a few pushing for WNBL minutes!

Reply #533059 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who is your tip for WNBL minutes out of that group?

Reply #533062 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would depend on gaps in the senior team that may be open through depth, talent, injuries etc.

Reply #533065 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With the Boomers without Bec Cole any of the guards have a chance. Molloy said in his press release that 12 would suite up at home games so it gives a couple each home game the chance. Great for these kids.

Reply #533069 | Report this post

ANON  
Years ago

I would think you will find Boomers will sign another guard. Brittany Smart perhaps in SEABL is doing well. Chances of development players getting minutes will be like last year minimal.

Reply #533079 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This group is very weak compared to last few years. And they will see what it is like. Molloy learning the lesson but perhaps too late. Not a singlr player to get WNBL cout time other than junk time. Molloy was not generous with that either.
Regarding the Melbourne is not Bulleen claim, as long as Melbourne do NOT use Bulleen's resources and personnel, no problem. But is it really the case ??? Even the "Boomers" name is an asset they Melbourne got free from Bulleen.

Reply #533083 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne Boomers office is at Box Hill now. Their staff are there. None of the coaching staff have any affiliation to Bulleen including HC, AC x 2 or TM. I dont know what else you expect from them. Molloy develops players. Thats a fact. He is very particular on fundamentals and he is insistent on getting the little things right.

Reply #533091 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You would be over the moon to have your daughter in the program.

Reply #533114 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bulleen has been supporting women's basketball at the WNBL level for 30+ years. The change to Melbourne Boomers was to engage other associations, and basketball fans. I understand Bulleen are still the main driving force behind the team. However, I know other associations are now also active contributors.

No doubt in the past the may have been some individual players and parents who thought Bulleen was the way to the WNBL.

Bulleen still has in my opinion the best girls basketball program. Most years all their first teams make VC and many times so does their second team. The BigV youth team is excellent and has arguably the best coach in the league.

As a whole I think Bulleen has good coach's, the right philosophy about girls sport, undeniable record of on court success and that is what attracts talent. It could also be the many exWNBL players and coach's in the club - I can count at least 8.

Not many clubs club have the history that Bulleen has or the club spirit and none have both.

Yes my daughter plays for Bulleen.

Reply #533130 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I see Bendigo have started a development program and Dandenong have one posted too.

Reply #534312 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:29 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754