Dane Suttle
Years ago

New ball for NBL?

Hearing there's a new ball for NBL, anyone know?

Topic #37280 | Report this topic

GWB  
Years ago

Id prefer that to the backyard looking thing theyve been using for the past 5 years.

Reply #533287 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You do get that "backyard thing" helped pay to keep the NBL going for the last five years? Without families who put contra/cash up for the sport, it wouldn't still be around.... FACT! What do you do for a living? So we can all tear you apart, troll!
(And no, I have absolutely no affiliation with Spalding. I have been taught respect, grateful ness and appreciation though)

Reply #533314 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I'm not seeing how the NBL would have been less successful using a ball that wasn't ugly.

Reply #533334 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You're telling us that the ball sponsor was responsible for keeping the league alive for five years? Wow the NBL was in worse shape than I thought. And I thought my dead grandma was in better shape

Reply #533337 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hate the orange and white UNPROFESSIONAL basketball used in the NBL.

An orange ball is professional

Reply #533343 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

You must've hated the white ball introduced in cricket, or variations introduced in soccer, or the WNBL ball used, or hell, money balls in an ASG.

What makes the orange ball professional? Because it's tradition? And tradition before that? So you are thus forever bound to whatever you start with?

Reply #533359 | Report this post

Greggo  
Years ago

euro league plays with black/ orange balls (and all kinds of other things) and they're doing a lot better than the NBL. Like it even matters...

Reply #533390 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

I just think the ball is ugly. It isn't about tradition. It looks like something you use in your backyard or that some kid who doesn't take the game too seriously might buy. They can do something cool and unique with the ball which isn't ugly I am sure. And for those who say it doesn't matter; since when have the aesthetics of the game not mattered?

Reply #533400 | Report this post

Cherry Picker  
Years ago

I'm sure thousands walked away saying "That was a great game of basketball. Pity the ball looked shit"
The ball is unique but not too over the top. Backyard balls are the rubber ones you buy at kmart for $8.
1st world problems!

Reply #533431 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Well if you admit the balls look shit; why not change them? It is a simple thing that they are in the power to change. It could be made by the same maker, they could just look to give it a more appealing look.

Reply #533437 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

Agree with GWB on this one. I've never liked the "finding nemo" styled orange and white ball. Its not necessarily unprofessional looking, but rather too casual looking I think.

Its not to the extent that it has ruined the league or anything silly like that, but I think there is a more "serious" feel about the game and the league with a standard orange ball.

And the aesthetics of the game does matter. Sometimes lots of little changes like the colour of the ball can have an overall impact on the presentation of the league as a whole.

Reply #533451 | Report this post

Billy Hoyle  
Years ago

For the record the black and red balls in euro leaves look Shyte as well. Orange ball would be far better. Why not have an "Nbl" branded orange ball. Looks more serious.

Reply #533452 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

I don't really care about the look of the ball. The problem I have with these balls is that they FEEL terrible. The old 8 panel Molten's were far superior in my opinion.

Reply #533456 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Put it this way: My friend - a casual fan, often says he HATES the ball. People do notice.

It is also a merchandising thing. You can sell NBA leather balls - no problem, but try selling an NBL ball. People just aren't buying them. They are ugly.

Reply #533483 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

FMD some people need get a life.
The ball should be whichever one earns them the most sponsor dollars. If they can get "Red Dot" to sponsor the league for a few mil, I'm happy to see them play with a bright red ball.

Reply #533505 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Its Spalding? What in the world makes you think this one particular design of a basketball is responsible for the sponsorship money? It just has to be a Spalding ball! Why not get one which looks like its played with by adults for a change? Hey?

Reply #533510 | Report this post

The TRuth  
Years ago

Wilsonnnnnnnnnnnnn!

Reply #533529 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

I think its an interesting topic and it is basketball related after all. I bet you if this happened in the AFL there would be a story about it in the news, and plenty of discussion on forums like this.

It may not be interesting for everyone, and for those that don't care, you aren't forced to read this thread!

Reply #533571 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As long as it fits through the hoop what does it matter,both teams are playing with it!

Reply #533639 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I bet you if this happened in the AFL there would be a story about it in the news

Last time I noticed, the AFL WERE getting paid big bucks to have the Maccas logo on their balls. Nobody cares.
I think its an interesting topic and it is basketball related after all.

A thread on the socks & jocks the players wear would be more interesting.
We're talking about the colour of the ball FFS.

Reply #533691 | Report this post

Dane Suttle  
Years ago

Not sure what it'll look like, but no doubt Tom Hanks will be involved!

Reply #533760 | Report this post

Assist149  
Years ago

Pretty sure it will be the updated version of the Molten with much better grip.

Reply #533767 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:30 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754