Wookiee
Years ago

If you could rebuild the NBL website

I currently have a bit of downtime and instead of continuing to bitch and moan about the NBL website, I thought I'd look into what sort of alternative I could put together with a somewhat out of the box solution...

So I'm asking around, what would be the best bits that you would want in it? What do you use the website for mostly? Anything good that it currently has that you'd like to see carried over, or something completely redone? Or something that you've seen somewhere else that you thought would be good if the NBL did it too?

Topic #37284 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

The stats.

As long as the stats are complete and up to date the rest takes care of itself.

Reply #533350 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Best bits: .........

Ok bits: Maybe News, Twitter feed and ladder because they're easy to spot? Also use social media buttons and individual club buttons regularly too (and like that they open in a new tab fwiw)

Use, but get frustrated by: fixture, upcoming games each round (that scrolling bar at the top is the worst!)

Additions: REGULAR CONTENT - year round. AFLPA does a lot of interesting 'behind the scene articles', and Player content wise, I love everything that the Players Tribune website does.

Reply #533351 | Report this post

wnba fan  
Years ago

it's ok IMO - good to have the twitter and FB feeds on the front page - a few years ago i went to a public speaking / marketing / media education session and it was about keeping websites uncluttered (it was more of a problem 5-10 years ago) big colour pictures with simple words gets the message across - then a reader can click into whatever area / match report / team / player profile they want. Eastern Mavericks in premier league have IMO a very good website - best in SA at present.

Reply #533352 | Report this post

wnba fan  
Years ago

i suppose you need to build something that is compatible for most users i.e. what sort of browser, reader their device has or can run.

Reply #533353 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I'd like any news articles on club websites to be put on main website too and lots of getting to know of players.

2 seasons ago we had weekly blogs by 4 key players around the league and I'd love atleast one representative from each club writing those up as they were always a good read and I'd love more building up of rivalries more to give big game feel from a week out.

I'd love better access to dream team and scores and whatnot... I'd love to have dream team scores included in the box scores as we had 2 seasons ago.

I'd love 'where are they now' atleast every week with former greats and I'd love far more content on the history of the league.

If we can have an update on former players and their efforts during the week (European updates for example).

I'd like to get to know the back story of development players so we can feel like we know them more and cheer them harder when they get junk time minutes.

If NBL.tv could give access to classic games then that would be excellent.

That's all for now

Reply #533357 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I made a quick mockup of what a redesign might look like. Didn't spend a bunch of time on it, so still a bit rough still.

imgur.com/i5FWkow.png

Reply #533363 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Does iinet still sponsor nbl?? Perhaps they could help build it up..

Reply #533365 | Report this post

Trev  
Years ago

An iCal feed service so we can easily add the matchups and fixtures to our own calendars

Reply #533382 | Report this post

Years ago

It needs to be responsive.

Advanced stats fans want to be able to interrogate the stats like you can on NBA sites and Basketball Reference etc.

They need to share and display content better with team sites.

News on team sites needs have better categories, not dump everything into one. Also, not everything needs to be a home page banner.

Speak to someone about styling. The typography, gradients and colours are very out dated.

Reply #533418 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Needs more cowbell

Reply #533450 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It needs to be responsive+1.

In terms of homepage, I really like the new ESPN site (http://espn.go.com/nba/). Game results across the top, good menu structure, main news content takes centre stage, your favourite teams in the left hand pane and social(twitter) content always being updated in the right hand pane. I also like how you can launch embedded video content from this page and not have to branch off to other pages to play a video (i.e. click-bait)

I think clean historical and current stat leaders would be good. NBA.com does this well, EPSN stat section is still 2005-esq.

For box scores, I am not too fussed. I think the FIBA results have all the content you need but something styled like ESPN (although maybe bigger font) would be good too.

In terms of player profiles, it would be great to have historical season stats, a little bit of a bio and a link to relevant highlight/video content. I don't like the NBA.com site how it auto-loads the videos and I think the layout is too image/video heavy. It would also be good to know which aussie players played state/club basketball where (similar to how the AFL website shows junior club affiliations).

Reply #533457 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Thanks for the info, I'm in no way affiliated with the NBL, just doing this to pass the time, so only so much can get done, but it will definitely be responsive and as clean and neat with as much pertinent information as possible...

Reply #533506 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:25 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754