Isaac
Years ago

36ers sign Lucas Walker

LUCAS Walker will bring a whole new energy level to the Adelaide 36ers according to NBL championship-winning coach Joey Wright.
"Lucas legitimately can play one-through-five," Wright said.

“For us he'll definitely play multiple positions and I’ll use him the way I did Sam Mackinnon (in Brisbane’s championship season) guarding one through five.

“He’ll play some 'point forward’ for us and pull opposition bigs away from the rim.
Walker completes the Sixers’ eight Australian signings.

Captain Adam Gibson, swingman Brendan Teys and power forward Anthony Petrie all return, joining fellow “core” players Daniel Johnson and Mitch Creek.

Guard Nathan Sobey, 24 and 193cm, who was a development player last season at Cairns after a solid college career at Wyoming University, and Matt Hodgson complete the local roster.
Full story

Topic #37294 | Report this topic

Social Superstar  
Years ago

Lucas Walker, Nathan Sobey and Matt Hodgson (pending fitness test) replacing Luke, BJ and Crawford.
Not unhappy to see Luke and Crawf gone, but disappointed i wont get to see BJ develop his game some more.
Article also mentions Gibbo, Peach, Teys all returning along with already announced signings of Creek and DJ.
Wilson still in the mix for an import spot, but Motum is going US or Euro so we should be able to fill both import spots.
Anyone have any ideas on who would fill the import spots to suit this line up?

Reply #533624 | Report this post

Birdman  
Years ago

BJ is still recovering from his Achilles so its not like he has been cut and replaced

Reply #533626 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BJ has signed to play in England

Reply #533627 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Will Waxy bring his ego with him?

He is very arrogant for a 31yo role playing nbler.

Reply #533628 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can play 1 through 5? I reckon he'd struggle to count 1 through 5.

Good luck relying on him as a ball-handler at any stage.

Reply #533632 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

eh, a dunk to two.

Reply #533633 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

MVP

Reply #533634 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the guy can dunk ill give him that and he is athletic, but its not a big loss for united.

Reply #533642 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Lucas legitimately can play one-through-five," Wright said.

In the quiet words of the virgin Mary, come again?

Reply #533645 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

He can play a little and could add some excitment in spurts to the team. But get off the hard stuff Joey, if he is playing your 5 spot, your dead in the water. No ned to over hype a role player to that extent. All comes down to the import spots now, If a DQ is recruited bottom, if they pull a stud out of a hat, could be interesting.

Reply #533648 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

From @kris14ray on Twitter:

@HoopsForum Anthony signed in England with McMillan and corletto

Yeah, I'm not seeing Joey's thinking on Walker. Can understand buying low or looking at flexibility, but what does he bring that Creek doesn't? I would've guessed he had the same holes in his game? And the point-forward thing and playing every position is surely a stretch?

Who knows, maybe he's not a step-down from Anthony but a step across. Sobey in for Daly or PC should be fine, and Hodgson for Schenscher could go either way.

I'm hoping these three swaps mean that there's budget to spend up on the imports? Surely Schenscher down to Hodgson saves money?

Reply #533649 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

The Hodgson risk is very low, Schenscher was being played budget minutes last few season anyways, so this guy wont get much chance to perfrom anyways. Its all about the imports, if they are mediocre will be very hard to swallow as a fan. Im really worried Joey will go down the same budget path as last season, but he isnt a great tactics based coach, more so a great manager of talent. See how it pans out in next few months.

Reply #533651 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Yea i like the 8 man rotation, assuming Sobey and Hodgson are 9 and 10th men.

I also reckon letting Schenscher go was to have more money for the 2nd import, so we can have 2 good imports this year, where last couple of years only really 1, so if we get the right imports could be a good upgrade.

My ideal imports would be something along the lines of Kevin Lisch and Donta Smith or players of there mould.

Reply #533657 | Report this post

Oberon 28  
Years ago

Agree with Jonno about Schenscher. The second import should be a better import than Montreal last year. Think they need someone athletic who can shoot.

Reply #533658 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Yea, its a pity we couldnt do both, i like Schenscher, but it doesnt make sense to have a back up C on $100k+ behind DJ who is gonna play bulk of the minutes, so using the $$$ on a import scoring fwd is a good move, hopefully they can be a bit of an excitement machine too help win and put bums on seats.

Reply #533660 | Report this post

Oberon 28  
Years ago

Don't know if will be a star but should be able to get someone decent. How about Torrey Craig???

Reply #533661 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

I look at it this way, with the team we had, with Wilson and Motum both firing we were almost favourites to win it all. The Motum gets injured against Perth and we were down to one starish import and got smashed. This team will need 2 stars.

Reply #533663 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Yea i think they need similar calibre to Wilson and Motum, even if different styles of players, that level of player is needed, but DJ will also be better than he was at the end of last season, which will also help.

Reply #533665 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Serious question...

Has anyone ever seen Waxy play 1, 2 or 5?

@Kobe24...Last season's roster was NOT budget.

Reply #533666 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

When did the 36ers announce Gibson, Petrie and Teys as returning ? Is this the first time they confirmed them as returning ?

Reply #533669 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Get the right imports (calibre has to be at least that of Wilson/Motum) and this team will be fast and athletic....just how Joey likes them!

Reply #533670 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

C Johnson/Hodgson
F Import/Petrie
F Creek/Walker
G Import/Teys
G Gibson/Sobey

It's odd having Walker or Creek on the bench.

Reply #533671 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

@Marcus Camby I didnt the roster was budget, but breaking it down it started out more than budget. But they were able to turn DQ and BJ basically into Motum and DJ by the end of it.

Reply #533674 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what about Gladness, him the defense, Johnson the offense could complement each other, could cause problems. we always seem like a attacking team with no defense. Could be that presence we need.

Reply #533677 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For his imports, Wright is looking for a 198cm scoring forward and a combination guard, but is in no hurry, the NBA Summer League still on the horizon.

what so Johnson centre and a 198 scoring forward. we'll get cained in defense, why not play Johnson power forward and get a center. Johnson cant play defense, love his offense though.

Reply #533678 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

John Williamson and rotnie Clarke would be my ideal imports. A shooter/shot creater and a big banger that can throw it down and a nice mid range game

Reply #533679 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

One of these imports needs to be able to shoot the crap out of the ball. The Sixers have lacked shooting the past two years big time. Look at their roster so far no real shooters. I like Clarke next to Gibbo in the back court.

Reply #533681 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Johnson/Hodgson
Petrie/Walker
Import/Creek
Import/Sobey
Gibson/Teys

Seems more likely to me KET

Reply #533682 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

198cm sounds a bit specific....wouldn't be surprised if Joey already has someone in mind and is in preliminary talks.

Reply #533684 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not exactly 6'6" is a pretty average height for a SF and maybe the Sixers can't afford a 6'7"+ import?

Reply #533689 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Walker is a good signing, solid bench player, good defender and rebounding and well suited to Wright's style of game. Of course, where on the spectrum between 2014 Walker and 2015 Walker this version sits will determine how good a signing it is.

Reply #533703 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lucas played All Stars South in 2012 in Adelaide and I remember we were gob smacked at how well he played with the likes of Creeky and he was in the slam dunk comp. We said then it must be the team, certain players and coach holding him back at Melbourne and he would fit well with the Sixers. We also said that his arrogance seemed more like frustration for the years after. His boomers time was good and again we said he needs to get the hell out of Melbourne and you'll see his talent and personality shine.. So here we are with Joey seeing the same.. I have a good feeling about him bringing something similar to our fan fave BJ who we all would love to have back. I'm happy with Lucas and can't wait to see if what we saw in him is an illusion or the real deal. This will be a mature balanced team, just hope they have the legs.. On a side note about Melbourne players... Cairns.. what are you thinking.. Why can no one see the slovenly attitude of Wortho who chooses when he puts in and has the attitude of a stomping 2 year old.. watch that space for disharmony...

Reply #533720 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I'll pay that anon - I remember people being generally impressed with Walker playing for Australia.

Reply #533731 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good point, I think he did go as close as you can go to making a boomers team, given he had no prior exp at that level and he doesn't play high level europe or in the nba.

He went from that to a log jam at United with higer paid players like Wortho ahead of him in the depth chart and his game went backwards. A fresh start will do him good and I would like to see Joey run him some minutes as a small ball 4.

Reply #533739 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone else ever thought he has the head a dwarf?
Seriously, think about it.

Reply #533752 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Walker has all the tools he just needs the right environment imo...hopefully that's in Adelaide and he has a career year.

Reply #533754 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Had a big game in the SEABL this round I think? 26 and 13 or something?

Reply #533783 | Report this post

Bake  
Years ago

No South Aussies in the team, can I get my money back?

I found it difficult to identify with the team last year, it's going to be even harder this season

Reply #533968 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Bake,
It might be a bit tough, but it's professional sport. Just think of them as adopted South Aussies.

Better still, grab a couple of pie floaters and some frog cakes and take them into the Sixers with a slab of Coopers to make them feel they wish they weren't born interstate.

Reply #533972 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

It's not an inspiring signing but I wouldn't mind having Walker as a 6-8th man. My main issue is we haven't had a great import since Willy Farley. I don't want more budget bums from SEABL or Belarus.

Reply #533981 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Imports since Farley in 2001-02:

Matt Garrison (same season)
Charles Thomas
Dusty Rychart
Nick Horvath
Adam Ballinger
Mike Chappell
Julius Hodge
Mark Tyndale
Rod Grizzard
John Gilchrist
Cortez Groves
Craig Winder
Troy DeVries
Eddie Shannon
Ron Howard
Chris Warren
John Williamson (never played)
Diamon Simpson
CJ Massingale
Scott Christopherson
Gary Ervin
Jarrid Frye
Jamar Wilson
Daequon Montreal

Reply #533991 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

No South Aussies in the team, can I get my money back?

I just don't understand this mentality, and it seems to be a very South Australian thing. Who cares where the players come from? When they're with the Sixers, they represent the Sixers and the state.
Just because they weren't born here shouldn't mean you can't relate to the team.

Reply #533992 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

A - Great
B - Decent
C - Average
D - Pretty Terrible
F - Complete Failure
----

Charles Thomas - B-
Dusty Rychart - B+
Nick Horvath - C
Adam Ballinger - A-
Mike Chappell - D
Julius Hodge - A
Mark Tyndale - F
Rod Grizzard - D
John Gilchrist - B
Cortez Groves - C
Craig Winder - D
Troy DeVries - D
Eddie Shannon - D
Ron Howard - F
Chris Warren - B-
John Williamson (never played) - F (lol)
Diamon Simpson - B-
CJ Massingale - D
Scott Christopherson - F
Gary Ervin - A-
Jarrid Frye - D
Jamar Wilson - B-
Daequon Montreal - D

Reply #533994 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surprised to see you rank Wilson and Warren the same. I think an All-NBL Second Team season gets Wilson a B+ at the least.

Reply #533997 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

Been a Sixers fan since I was 10. Have never understood why poeple get caught up in us having no South Aussies on the team?

The only thing that bothers me is when good local talent such as Jingels and Madgen etc end up somewhere else and light us up.

Reply #534002 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Or Newley. How we managed to screw both him (Crocs) and Ingles (Dragons) up I'll never know.

Reply #534005 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Okay, maybe there have been some solid imports, but we have just not had the crowd pulling type. I loved Farley as a kid. He had the right mix of skill and swagger.

Reply #534009 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Yea I loved Farley too, the ones i think who have got close since are Hodge and Ervin, so not many of that level in the last decade unfortunately.

Hopefully they get a couple of awesome imports this year.

Reply #534012 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Horvath wasn't well-rounded, but averaged 19.4 and 8. First three games as a Sixers were 20 and 10 games. Rebounded in double figures his first six straight games.

Farley averaged 19.7 PPG that year.

Gilchrist averaged 16.9 PPG.

BTW, you might not care about the origin of players, but there is such a thing as feeling connected to your team. I remember the season Timmons played in Adelaide when Smyth was the coach, it barely felt like the 36ers at all. 2006/07.

Reply #534019 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I miss the early Farley days...

Reply #534026 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

GWB "He had the right mix of skill and swagger." You are forgetting about his last season where he was lazy and shot it way too much.

Reply #534147 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Walker not 7.5 and 5 at 50% Try 5.1 and 3.9 at 38%.
Nice story tho! And use him like Sam MacKinnon.
Matt Hodgson could be the best shot blocker since Simon Dwight. He couldn't get off bench at St Mary's. ( Ben Allen way better player and had much better College career ) Joey certainly talking these guys up - not sure why. Will need a great starting group because his bench will stink.

Reply #534152 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Boti quoted his 2012-13 stats and said last season.
Interesting that his fg% has been very similar throughout his entire career in the high 40s, up to just hitting 50 (low of 47.9, high of 50.3), then he suddenly dropped all the way to 38% last year. How does someone regress that severely in their 5th season? That's a very alarming drop.

Reply #534159 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

Sign of the times not having SA people i the team.
Potential to have a 9th/10th player from SA though i would have thought.

Reply #534176 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joey unfortunately cares little about local product. That's where the club needs to step in and show some balls and tell him that at least 2 players must be SA bred. Like it or not, in SA it does matter whether there is local content in the team. It does have an affect for bums on seats. Even if it's player 9, 10 or 11, the crowd here needs an attachment and dates back to the formation of the Sixers when each local club was a shareholder.

Reply #534211 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree about the lack of South Australians. Disappointed Daly isn't back as 10th man.

Unfortunately it is the reality of the NBL these days.

Reply #534212 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

There might not be any South Aussies but at least we have a core group of guys in Gibbo, Peach, Creek, DJ that have been at the club for a while. It helps to form a connection with the team when it is the same team not just the same uniform, regardless of who is in it.

Reply #534222 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gibson is officially back with the 36ers

Reply #534371 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

ADELAIDE 36RS without ANY SA players? After 20 years as a proud 36ers supporter unfortunately I will no longer b there supporting my team as it is no longer our team in any way. Shame

Reply #534660 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not renewing my Gold membership this year. Local content essential. Predict staff will be moved on in the near future when contracts out and the phone number to ring direct to the office will be removed and an email box provided. See ya Sixers community - now a corporation.

Reply #534669 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

The problem is with local talent, is who out of guys playing NBL (ie not Ingles and Newley) are 'must have' SA players?

Sure they could keep Schenscher but would likely have to let Petrie go. I love Schenscher but he is fairly expensive i believe and you cant spend too much on a back up C when you have DJ.

Sure they could sign Hill, Holmes and Forman, but would have to let Walker, Teys and Creek go.

They could sign Daly and/or Maynard instead of Sobey,

Would any of these moves to increase SA talent be a good idea when building a winning team. I think in most cases the guys we have signed are better than the SA guys.

I dare say Joey is just trying to build a winning team regardless of where they are from.

Would a team of

DJ/Schenscher
Forman/Holmes
Import/Hill
Gibson/Maynard
Import/Daly

be better than what we have, in some spots you could probably argue yes, but there is no real stand out 'must have'. ie is Holmes or Hill a upgrade on someone like Walker who we have bought in?? assuming Forman is being paid more than these guys so couldnt be a straight swap.

also bear in mind if we didnt have guys like Petrie, Teys, on the team and Joey coaching Gibson and DJ may also look elsewhere.

The obvious simple one, would be to give Sobeys spot to Daly or Maynard, but what if Sobey turns out to be a far better player, would people still be happy with this??

Reply #534670 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Why are South Australians so narrow-minded?? I just don't get it. Where players are born should have no influence on whether you follow your team or not. They are still representing the state on a national platform. You do realise they live here while playing, right?
It just makes zero logical sense.
All SA teams have players from other states in them - Crows, Power, United, T-Birds, Bite - honestly it just doesn't matter where the players are from.
I'd love for someone to actually explain where this misguided philosophy comes from.

Reply #534679 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

No problem with non SA guys. Great to have local players obviously more SA players mean much easier for fans to connect. My issue is the signing of a guy like Sobey for three years over a Daly who is playing great basketball in SEABL.( Sobey solid but not great at this level) Teys has had some good NBL games earlier but form diminished - not even in top bracket of Aussie SEABL guys. Walker has some runs on board even tho last season was poor.
Throw in Hodgson (ave resume)and you start to wonder. Joe continues to bring development players from interstate where his mates/connections are. There is a pattern. I hope his judgment is correct.

Reply #534683 | Report this post

Social Superstar  
Years ago

I thinks it just a hangover from the "kick a vic" attitude.
Id bet the posters here saying they were long term members who are not renewing are just trolls or even interstaters just stirin the pot. but the attitude is definitely still there.
That all being said this site does seem to highlight south aussies alot more than people from other states being a SA based forum (no other team besides sixers has its own topic choice when u start a thread) but the site is now drawing more national traffic.

Reply #534685 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The SA people are still confused as to why Newley and Ingles haven't been playing on the team for the last 10 years.

Reply #534686 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

There's like 4 players in the NBL who are from SA. Holmes (we've had him, years ago, he's pretty much retired now), Forman (we've had him, years ago, good player, would sign if we could), Hill (we've had him, years ago, had potential, hasn't reached anywhere near it) and Schenscher (had him last year, was surplus to our needs last year and cost too much).
Daly has been with the team for 5 seasons on and off as a development player, then part of the 10. He's very rarely shown that he has what it takes to make it in the NBL. We've given him plenty of chances, he hasn't taken them.
Madgen left for Europe. Newley left for Europe. Ingles left for Europe.
So that's 8 South Aussies, only 1 of which is available and I'd be happy to have at the Sixers. So we're 0/1 of actual viable options. If SA can only produce 1 player worth having, then who cares if the Sixers don't have them? The 4 SA players in the NBL all have played for the Sixers at some point. All for extended periods of time. We missed out on Newley and Ingles and Madgen, that was a shame, but they aren't in the NBL anymore anyway.
I'm assuming we'll have at least 2 South Aussies as development players. If we get Sam Johns back, that fulfills the SA requirement for me, because I see a future in the NBL for him, but he's not main 10 level yet.
You don't gift spots to players, there's only 10 players on a team. We did that with Molitor, when they had the 'must have someone under 21' rule a few years back. He did exactly nothing for the whole season. So we had a 9 player roster, which meant any injuries meant we had an 8 man rotation.
I don't know enough about Sobey to say if he's an upgrade on Daly, but you'd have to hope he is, which justifies that change. Schenscher isn't an upgrade on Johnson, Walker or Petrie. Forman wasn't available. Holmes is too old and also isn't an upgrade on Johnson, Walker or Petrie.
We picked up Creek as a junior out of AIS. He started his NBL career here and has played with us since he was 18. Sure, he wasn't born in SA, but he's for all intents and purposes a 36er born and bred player. To me, he counts.

Reply #534690 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Burlied up the water and the fish are biting !

now there's a discussion worth reading

Reply #534692 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

An Adelaide-centric recruitment drive isn't going to yield championships. Our best players aren't in this league, and the ones which are have been more than ably supplanted by other talents. It would be nice to have a South Australian development player or two, but I doubt 99 percent of basketball fans think twice about what state the players are from; they care about an exciting, winning team and over the past 2 seasons we have had that (or near enough)

Reply #534693 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Exactly Im quite happy for Joey to build the best team he can each year, he has got us to playoffs both years so far, so i reckon we should trust his judgement and get behind what is looking to be a good and exciting team for next year.

Reply #534694 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think there is a difference between the type of fan that comments on free agent signings in June on hoops (junkie) and the casual fan that attends 3-7 home games a year.

Reply #534695 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You are kidding yourself if you think a casual fan knows the birthplace of any player on an NBL team

Winning and putting on a show usurp all

Reply #534697 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:05 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754