Isaac
Years ago

Lakers keen to trade for DeMarcus Cousins

Supposedly the initial plan could be:

Kings get 5th pick (up from 6), Vucevic and other picks
Magic get 2nd pick (up from 5) and take Okafor
Lakers get 6th pick (down from 2) and Cousins

Sacramento however keep insisting that DMC is not available, but I swear that's what any team says when they're about to trade.

Also some mentions on r/NBA that Lakers and Wade have mutual interest.

Topic #37312 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great trade for Lakers & magic, Horrible trade for Kings....the owner probably wants them to draft Dekker at 6

The Kings owner is s joke

Reply #534068 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

STAUSKAS?!?!?!? STAUSKAS!!!!!

Reply #534070 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Depends on what the other picks that sacramento get are. If they are unprotected first-round picks with the Magic and Lakers they could be giving up high lottery picks in future drafts.

If the mock-drafts are kind of accurate that would have the team going:

Magic - Okafor (at 2)
Lakers - Cousins and probably Winslow or Mudiay (at 6)
Kings - Vucevic and probably Hezonja, Mudiay or Porzingis (at 5) plus future picks

I think it makes sense for all teams given Cousins wants out of Sacramento.

Reply #534076 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the Kings might need something else (Randle?) to get them over the line

Reply #534079 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I just don't see how the Lakers could keep that first pick with a minor downgrade AND get Cousins. Would be too good to be true. I know they have a late 1st rounder as well but even with that it would be a push (Philly has the Lakers 1st rounder next year). Maybe what the above anon said? Kings you would think would ultimately want pick 2 for Cousins straight up and draft Okafor as a replacement and draft a guard like Muiday maybe.

Reply #534085 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Kings owners sacked all the bball staff he hired cause the disagreed with him and hired experienced league executives like Divac so this trade could happen with Kings if the owners who admitted knows little about basketball gets involved.

Also why do the Kings need Vucevic? They have Sim Bhallur to play starting centre cause he is from the same country as the owner!

Reply #534087 | Report this post

King Podge  
Years ago

The Carlton board just expressed complete confidence in DMC's ability and future with the team.........

Seems like too good a deal for the Lakers and the Kings get screwed - then again their owner was the one that suggested the cherry picker offense/defense...................

Reply #534096 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

There is no way the Lakers are getting Cousins for moving down 4 spots.
It would have to be pick 2 and something for Cousins alone.

Plus no way the Magic give up Vucevic + pick 5 just to move up 3 spots.

Seems more likely a reporter has meshed 2 trade ideas umours into 1 trade.

Kings should keep the 6th pick and draft Hezonja.
They really need a gun SG and he looks legit.

Reply #534098 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

Teams that are in small Markets almost never end up holding onto really good draft picks. How many times in the last 20 yrs has a team's lottery pick for a smaller market team Lead that same franchise to a title? I can think of Duncan, Dirk, Kobe. wade, curry, Jordan, pierce. Of those Duncan is the only one from a small market and he got very very lucky by ending up playiing w Robinson who'd missed an entire year and then drafting Parker n ginobli late.

Reply #534099 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Reporter in question was Marc Stein, from memory.

Reply #534101 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dallas were not a big basketball market when dirk got there.

Reply #534105 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can find sources for the rumour but can find no mention of this ridiculous proposal. Move down 4 spots and receive Cousins as compensation? In your dreams Lakers fan.

Reply #534107 | Report this post

nix54  
Years ago

Small market means people and media not fans.

Reply #534110 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vlade Divac was a big fan of Vucevic's Dad Boris when he played in the 70s and 80s in Yugoslavia. If Vlade gets to make this decision I could see him taking Vucevic and Hezonja thinking what would of happened if Vlade and Dragan Petrovic had the chance to play together in the NBA.

Hypothetically:

- Sacramento gets Vucevic, PICK 5 - Hezonja, 2017 Lakers first round pick. (loses Cousins).

- Orlando - gets PICK 2 - Okafor (loses Vucevic and 2015 pick (pick5)).

- Lakers - gets Cousins and PICK 6 - Mudiay or Winslow (loses 2 first round picks 2015 (pick 2) and 2017).

If Sacramento gets Vucevic, upgrade 1 spot in 2015 draft and 1 future first round pick for Cousins it would be a win.

Lakers have already traded 2016 first round pick to Phili and are basically playing the Kevin Durant Sweepstakes. Add a big man and either a PG/Wing to go with Randle and hope that will bring Durant to LA to replace Kobe

Orlando are the strange ones for me. Not sure why they would give up Vucevic who is a offensive C with no Defence for basically the same player AND lose pick 5.

Reply #534129 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Cousins wants now! Shots fired on his twitter account referring to the snakes in the grass that went down between melo and Karl back in Denver. Watch the big market teams lurk around the kings now holding them to ransom!

Reply #534137 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Woj:

[George] Karl has been recruiting Kings vice president of basketball operations Vlade Divac and multiple players on the Kings' roster to unite with him in making the case to owner Vivek Ranadive that Cousins needs to be traded, league sources said.

Cousins has tweeted emoji of a snake amongst grass.

Reply #534144 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

Hhhhmmm, this could get ugly.
Pick 2 looking good now, ust pick 2 for Cousins though, no way they are adding Pick 6.
Do the Lakers want Rudy Gay as well?
Cause it could be a clean out if Cousins is traded.

Cousins, Kobe and possibly Rondo at the Lakers.
There could be some fireworks :)

Reply #534146 | Report this post

Cherry Picker  
Years ago

Just a side note, Divac and Petrovic would never have played together in the nba due to the war and a flag incident involving Divac. They never spoke again until Petrovics death even though Divac thinks they could have resolved the issue.
Back to the trade, now it looks like the kings will either get rid of Karl or Cousins. I haven't checked it if it works but Cousins to Lakers for 2nd pick and Randle, then Randle to Nuggets for Faried/Lawson. Apparently there's interest in Rondo signing a 1 year deal with Sacramento in hopes of raising his next contact value when the cap increases. The Kings could be ok then if they take Okafur and he works out and Rondo realizes no one will sign him if he screws up.
If i were the Warriors I would ringing the kings offering Bogut/Barnes/Lee and picks for Cousins, Staskus and Gay and hope the kings would go down the 76ers path and tank the next couple of years.

Reply #534231 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I read that trade was no 2 pick, Randle and Clarkson for Cousins.

If that was the case would you give all that?

Reply #534242 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:33 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754