MELHOOPS
Years ago

BV - High Performance Coach

Anyone in the know regarding the recently advertised High Performance Coach appointment for Basketball Victoria.

Applications closed 12th June so I'd expect it to be announced some time soon.

Topic #37322 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm guessing Justin would have applied?

Reply #534205 | Report this post

MELHOOPS  
Years ago

Yeah possibly, looks to be enjoying Country gig though and not sure BV would want to rob Peter to pay Paul. It would be interesting to know who applied or who has been shortlisted if anyone has any info.

Reply #534208 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kristen Veal > Mark Watkins

Reply #534244 | Report this post

MELHOOPS  
Years ago

Anyone know who else was overlooked?

Kristen's resume looks great and which current first hand knowledge of BA's approach BV should benefit immediately.

Reply #534760 | Report this post

BigBird  
Years ago

Who has Kristen actually coached???
Stint at the COE as an AC and coached the Brisbane Capitals QBL women's team/junior program for two years.

Evidently a great player, but a great coach hmm... Someones getting lollies for what they did as a player. I hate to be cynical but perhaps a PR exercise?

http://www.basketballvictoria.com.au/index.php?id=102&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=1099&tx_ttnews[backPid]=134&cHash=51b380648b

Reply #534762 | Report this post

thinking  
Years ago

bigbird, I think you will find Kristen is very smart basketball wise and will bring plenty to the table.

Get positive and stop being so negative.

Reply #534778 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep. Not an extensive coaching background...

Reply #534780 | Report this post

BigBird  
Years ago

Thumbs up for being smart 'basketball wise', but we're talking about the position of High Performance Manager of Vic Metro, although debatable it's arguably the strongest Basketball program within Australia.

You would think that the chosen candidate would posses more than 2 years of 'coaching' experience, regardless of how smart 'basketball wise' she may be.

And its not a matter of being negative, its a matter of critical evaluation.
Is she really deserving of this highly sought after position based on her merits as a player and her smarts 'basketball wise'?

It'd be interesting to hear what you think she brings to the table that perhaps the other candidates don't; what are her points of difference?

Reply #534787 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree, while not privy to candidates surely someone with a little more experience could of been found. Of course not knowing the master plan for a Vic & Vic Country merger only adds to the intrigue . Go Justin

Reply #534790 | Report this post

thinking  
Years ago

bigbird, i do not know the other candidates so i can not comment. If it is true , Mark Watkins was an applicant, he would have also been a good fit.

I can state though that Kristen will be great in the job. Hard working, approachable, enthusiastic and knowledgable.

She will bring plenty of energy to the job.

Reply #534800 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Think she will be just what they need, her work ethic hopefully will rub off on these kids who some of them think they don't need to work hard. She will ensure they do.
She also has years of experience basketball wise, unlike many who don't make it as players so opt out to coach. For these high level elite athletes , having someone that is still actually p,aye g today's game has to be beneficial.
Or us it because she's a woman that your objecting?!!

Reply #534812 | Report this post

BigBird  
Years ago

Please, put the sexist card back in your back pocket.
The question was raised because of her coaching experience, not because she is a woman.

I hope her tireless work ethic, basketball smarts, and player experience will be enough, I really do.
But like most of us do know, playing the game and teaching the game are two different things.

Reply #534819 | Report this post

thinking  
Years ago

bigbird pls repost in 12 mths with your views on her performance, and we will debate again,

Reply #534831 | Report this post

Vesta30  
Years ago

This post is not having a go at Veal here but more so trying to figure out how the best junior development coach that is currently working in the junior development pathway in Mark Watkins was not selected. It was down to her and Mark.

He has without doubt made NSW Men's program the best program in Australia the past 6 years (as a Victorian this burns me to say that) however see results and total number of Australian athletes selected not to mention it was confirmed by BA and CoE as the best program in Australia.

There have been so many people complaining about Mark not getting the job and I believe also these people are extremely high up.

Now from what I have heard is the head selector put in for Mark's AC for Emu's team but was over looked. This IMO definitely was the main reason Mark did not get the job. Good old fassion payback...however sorry to say but the payback will land solely in the selectors hands in 12months time.

Extremely disappointing that the best state in general for basketball does not have the best coach currently coaching in the Australian junior development pathway.

By the way did I mention he guided Australia to a silver medal at the worlds...and Veal guided her QBL team where?

Reply #534860 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let's not get too carried away with MW, there have and are very good coaches that also have been overlooked for jobs with this current regime.

The fact is MW lucked out with the amount of NSW juniors previously developed by D. Cotter, P Lonergan, P. Mellett and has had the good fortune to have these guys play in his teams.

Not the only person to win a silver, Stacker won a gold for god's sake

Reply #534862 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You know you are struggling to defend a COACHING appointment of an inexperienced coach when you have to grasp at the "sexist" straw!
Playing experience is irrelevant. It is the ability to teach the game to juniors that is important. What experience does she have in this area? To be honest this is an amazing appointment over coaches who would be far more qualified, but I expect don't have the "brand name"...

Reply #534888 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The rationale I can see is MArk is doing a good job in NSW and BA didn't want to lose Veal when the COE shuts down.

This way they hopefully keep Mark and keep Veal as well.

Reply #534895 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Only they'll end up losing Mark to either clubs, schools or international if they're not careful. Then they've lost Mark to keep Kristen, which makes little sense.

Reply #534901 | Report this post

thinkingagain  
Years ago

If BA did not want to lose Veal (anon 895), she must have been doing a good job at the CoE

Reply #534912 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A Vealy good job

Reply #534913 | Report this post

Years ago

912, good job at COE for a rookie maybe. Very different to this role. But yea if BA have done that it is what they see as a strategic decision. It is a risky one.

Unfortunately it is doubtful an organization as small and lacking in resources like BA has any understanding or capabilities of formal risk analysis. I doubt they have true personnel selection processes in place or understanding of corporate decision making frameworks. They are probably winging it.

How accountable are these people for these kinds of decisions?

My understands most of these decision makers are in lowly paid jobs.... Unfortunately basketball is incapable of attracting decision makers, qualified and the true leaders. These kinds of people get good at avoiding accountability, because deep down they know they're out of their depth. Therefore decisions are made that may not make sense.

Reply #534930 | Report this post

Hugh J.  
Years ago

Some rather negative opinions. I like "thinking's" post and also anon 534882 - gold!!

Reply #534946 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How long has Mark been with NSW and how long did it take him to turn things around for NSW

Reply #534950 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mark took over at a good time following on the good work of Cotter, Lonergan & Mallett but he's the one who got them over the line. Between he & Sam they got NSWM's first golds in many (30?) years. Sam is already gone... If Mark leaves where will NSW stand?

Reply #535032 | Report this post

thinking  
Years ago

as earlier stated Mark would have been a great candidate, but Kristen deserves her chance.

Reply #535096 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:10 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754