MRT
Years ago

What age were basketballers recognised from.

Would like to know what age were great basketballers recognised from. Players like Bogut, Mills, Penny Taylor or a Kristi Harrower. Doesn't have to be these players but other players as well. If anyone has any specific info please share. Thanks in advance.

Topic #37333 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Recognised by the NBA? or National program?

Reply #534398 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Recognition can be subjective and opportunity for some is not as equal as it is for others, however I believe true recognition of the potential of a junior basketballer usually begins in the under 14 top age to under 16 age groups.

Generally speaking of course...

Reply #534399 | Report this post

TISM  
Years ago

So if you're not famous at 14/15 you're finished ?

Reply #534403 | Report this post

very old  
Years ago

Bradke "identified" at a late ( 18+ ?) and pulled out of Norlunga's U20 bench by Adrian Hurley

Reply #534405 | Report this post

very old  
Years ago

Trish Fallon had no junior career to speak off, came across from Tennis.

Reply #534406 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

@TISM, being recognised and being famous are not even in the same hemisphere, nice try but not very funny really...

Reply #534409 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You can be recognised but you still need coaches behind you

Reply #534417 | Report this post

the prophet  
Years ago

I was walking down the street and recognized a few blokes from basketball

Reply #534513 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I have no specific knowledge of the players you mentioned, but I'd suspect it could be quite variable, and that ultimately their exceptional ability may only be recognised quite late. IN that I'm sure they appear "talented" early on, but it takes a while for the cream to rise to the top.

I can give you a reverse example, of a family we know. All the boys were tall and played ball, but one was exceptionally tall from an early age. Naturally he dominated junior age-based competitions and was selected for various rep teams. He was over 7ft by the time he was 15, and had to have his shoes imported from the USA. He got some form of scholarship to play college ball, but ultimately, confronted with quality players of a similar size, he just wasn't that good.

Reply #534528 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Baynes wasn't recognised till he was 16 as he didn't start playing ball until then.

Reply #534536 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you are a small, hustle player you will be "recognized" around 12, be given many opportunities, and go on to make a great career in a local competition.

Reply #534538 | Report this post

MELHOOPS  
Years ago

I agree with Bear - as the current pathway is set up, generally the U14 top age is the first opportunity to stand out from the crowd with Classic and Nationals being the best indicators....i.e. many of the best players at U14 Nationals go on to make state teams and get themselves into NITP type programs thus giving them every chance to further improve.

However, many do not get the opportunity to play in these high caliber tournaments so are not fully recognized until U16 camps and state level competition. Additionally a few exceptions are late bloomers or new to the sport at U18 level.

Some examples....

Andrew Bogut - U18s was when he was really bought into the spot light
Patty Mills - As a bottom age U16 player he took ACT from the depths of depression to the heights of success (almost)
Matt Dellevedova - U14 super talent

Liz Cambage - Was clearly unique at U14s, and U16s but U18s and even afterwards she became what we see today
Alice Kunek - U14 star
Bec Cole - Was identified early but really came on in U16s

My personal opinions only....

Reply #536008 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:05 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754