Indominous-Rex
Years ago

NBA Draft 2015 thread - Karl Anthony Towns goes #1

It's official the Minnesota Timberwolves selected Karl Anthony Towns with the first pick of the 2015 NBA draft. A choice that every one saw happening, so no suprise

Topic #37336 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Russell at #2. Okafor slips!

BTW, I have been laughing at this all week:

Reply #534411 | Report this post

Indominous-Rex  
Years ago

Who changed the title of my thing. Thats actually not cool. Can you at least tell me who you are.

Reply #534414 | Report this post

Indominous-Rex  
Years ago

New York, what have you done? This has to be one of the dumbest things that they could have done. Not to hate, but this was just bad!!

Reply #534416 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Kid will be a star IMO.

Typical NY fans who have a case of "if I haven't heard of him, he must be rubbish"

Always seems commonplace in the NBA. Dare I say it its the media hype nature of the NBA whereby more media exposure = better player.

People will be quick to call him a bust because he is European (ala Darko), forgetting of course that theres been a fair few American busts as well.

This kid is seriously skilled and could be the next Dirk alebit with more mobility and athleticism.

Plus I don't know what people see in the likes of Okafor and Towns and this affection with drafting Centres.

NBA is moving to small ball and thats the current trend. Recent champions have tended to play small.

Reply #534422 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Disagree with your last comment MACDUB, seriously, how can you underestimate the value of size in the NBA, or basketball in general for that matter?

Big players are becoming more versatile, able to shoot and play several positions, perhaps not just at centre.

Your memory must be failing you if you can't recall the NCAA D1 final and how that game was won.

Even the NBA final was influence by Iguodala, not a small ball player, a big who can shoot and is versatile...

Reply #534423 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Anyway, here is the top 20 so far, great to see Kaminsky go top 10:

Pick Team Player Pos School
1 Minnesota Timberwolves Karl-Anthony Towns PF/C
Kentucky

2 Los Angeles Lakers D'Angelo Russell G Ohio State
3 Philadelphia 76ers Jahlil Okafor C Duke
4 New York Knicks Kristaps Porzingis F/C Sevilla
5 Orlando Magic Mario Hezonja G/F FC Barcelona
6 Sacramento Kings Willie Cauley-Stein C Kentucky
7 Denver Nuggets Emmanuel Mudiay PG Guangdong
8 Detroit Pistons Stanley Johnson SF Arizona
9 Charlotte Hornets Frank Kaminsky PF Wisconsin
10 Miami Heat Justise Winslow SF Duke
11 Indiana Pacers Myles Turner C Texas
12 Utah Jazz Trey Lyles F Kentucky
13 Phoenix Suns Devin Booker SG Kentucky
14 Oklahoma City Thunder Cameron Payne PG Murray State
15 Washington Wizards (via Hawks)
Kelly Oubre SF Kansas
16 Boston Celtics Terry Rozier PG Louisville
17 Milwaukee Bucks Rashad Vaughn SG UNLV
18 Houston Rockets Sam Dekker SF Wisconsin
19 New York Knicks (via Hawks via Wizards) Jerian Grant G Notre Dame
20 Toronto Raptors Deion Wright PG Utah

Reply #534424 | Report this post

Phil  
Years ago

Someone made a good point recently about th small ball debate , that gsw played to their strengths and to the personel they had.

If a team has a big player that draws double teams in the post that will be a strength.

Reply #534425 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Correct, small ball starts at about 6'6" these days, hardly small!

Reply #534426 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bear, I think I agree with your point, but probably not with how you're making it. Outside of Kaminsky and Jefferson, the best players in that title game were all guards, and most of them fairly little ones (Jones, Winslow, Allen, Koenig). And the only reason Jefferson mattered was that Okafor couldn't guard Kaminsky to save his life. Duke gave up size at every position.

But yes, all other things being equal, a 6'10" player will be more useful than a 6'6" one. If you let teams pick any player in the league to sign to a 5-year contract, I can't imagine anyone having Curry/Harden/Paul/Westbrook higher on their list than Anthony Davis.

Reply #534433 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Any Aussies a chance for the 2nd round?

Reply #534436 | Report this post

Indominous-Rex  
Years ago

I'd say no

Reply #534437 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jones to cabs might spell trouble for delly....jones was awesome for duke

Reply #534438 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bear - the NCAA Div 1 final was won by Tyus Jones - he is a stretch six footer.
The game is changing - it is moving towards players who can score from the perimeter. Go back to the good old days and you would never ever see a D'Angelo Russell picked before an Okafor. And there is no way Rusell is 6 feet 5 inches tall.
The three point line has taken away the emphasis from height. If you can shoot the ball they want you now.

Reply #534440 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cavs^

Reply #534441 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jones is getting traded to Minnesota so no worries for delly there.

Reply #534442 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Who changed the title of my thing. Thats actually not cool. Can you at least tell me who you are.
I did. I built and own this site.

Reply #534445 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Some funny things from draft day.

Larry Nance Jr tweeted a few years ago something about Kobe being a rapist. Just got drafted by the Lakers.

Bobby Portis tweeted something about "fuck drose and the Bulls" - just got drafted by Chicago.

Frank Kaminsky made comments last year about how many NBA games (especially in Charlotte) are boring and get hardly any fans. Just got drafted by Charlotte.

Reply #534446 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

If your a NBA GM, knowing the 76ers are all about accumulating assets do you offer all your draft picks for the next 3 years for Okafor? Leave them unprotected if required, especially if your a decent club like the Bulls and unlikely for them to be top 5 picks.

Is it worth a risk like that?

Reply #534455 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

We are yet to see where David Lee will be traded to.

Reply #534461 | Report this post

Indominous-Rex  
Years ago

Oh lol Isaac, that makes sense. I just thought it was weird that my title had changed from what I new it was

Reply #534478 | Report this post

Keany  
Years ago

Cliff Alexander and Aaron Harrison both went undrafted! At the start of the college season cliff was a top 5 pick and Harrison was a lottery pick

Reply #534482 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I know it get off topic, and thanks anons above for your comments about the NCAA D1 final. I apprciate the efforts of Tyus Jones and I also thought the guards that stepped up in that game had a huge influence in it, no argument.

If you care to watch it again late in the final quarter, you will see how Okafor (who did have a dirty day at times trying to hold Kaminsky) came on and swung the game.

Just have another look, you will see my point, but not saying that the shooting guards are not important, all players are obviously important just saying the draft still points towards size as a key to finding those dominant players NBA teams are after!

Reply #534491 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I mentioned small ball but players are getting taller.

What i meant when i referred to small ball is we are seeing more 6"6 - 6"7 dudes but IMO gone are the days of a true centre.

So yes although it sounds contradictory teams are getting taller in terms of median range but are opting for small ball if that makes sense.

Reply #534492 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

MACDUB, I think 'pace and space' is the phrase of choice for media cliche at the moment. But the why of it isn't as simple as 'that's the best way to win.' How many 'traditional centres' have come into the league in recent years with anything like the talent or skill level of the guards that are currently dominant? Yes, Tim Duncan's a 'power forward' but how far away is he from the traditional centre? Didn't the Spurs win a title with him and Tiago Splitter, neither of whom fits the stretch-4/mobile-big mould just a year ago?

I think teams are getting smarter about working to the strengths of their best players, and it happens that back-to-the-basket post-play is a strength of very few players in the league right now. And where it is a strength, they're just not very good players (think Jared Sullinger). I think the playoffs over the last few years have made clear that you must be able to space the floor, but it doesn't have to be 5-out. Duke won a national title because putting shooters of the calibre of Cook, Allen, Jones, Jones and Winslow around an Okafor post-up means you're going to score extremely efficiently, whether it's from 2's or 3's. 3's are great, but with the league average at about 35%, they're worth approx. 1.05 points per possession. An Okafor post-up, when he's finishing them at 70%, is worth 1.4. That's on par with a Steph Curry 3.

Such a big deal has been made of Towns being a complete player who can score inside and out but his post moves are rubbish - that's why he'll end up playing in the mid-range. He scored 25 against a Notre Dame team that guarded him with 6'8" Zach Auguste and 6'5" Pat Connaughton. That's where Okafor is the best test of the traditional centre probably since Dwight Howard came into the league. If he can be a respectable defender and free throw shooter (both massive 'ifs'), he'll be an All-Star. It's just a shame he's playing in Philly.

Reply #534499 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When looking at "small ball" it shouldn't be about how tall the guy you put in C is.

With most teams running pick and roll offences now and less post up situations for big guys, teams are looking for defenders who an guard multiple positions. I can't imagine guys like Bryant Reeves or Greg Ostertag playing in the NBA today given they can't switch onto a PG or athletic wing coming off the pick and roll.

That's why Willie Caley-Stein at 7-1 is a crazy pick up because he can guard ball handlers and defend the post. Stanley Johnson, Justise Winslow, etc can all switch on to PF's and guard 2-guards when needed, etc.

I wouldn't say "small ball" is the trend but rather "position-less" basketball where everyone can switch on coverages on the defensive end.

Once a team knows that you can defend, then they look at the offensive skills which with the modern sets is 3-point shooting, attacking the rim and vertical leap (alley-oops) rather than traditional mid-range jump shot and post moves.

Reply #534502 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What are everyone's thoughts on how this draft affects the Aussie players?

My take on it is:

Utah - good picks in a back-up big guy who is a smart offensive player/passer and a scoring combo guard (likely means Trey Burke on the way out). Looks good for Dante and for Joe Ingles to get re-signed.

Cleveland - traded away the pick most mock's had as a PG. Good for Delly I would imagine to get resigned as either 2nd/3rd string PG. Probably will add another PG in free agency.

San Antonio - 1st rounder will stay overseas and 2nd round pick LONG shot at making the roster. If Lalanne does make it, I would imagine it would be at the expense of Jeff Ayres anyway.

Golden State - drafted a raw talent who will have surgey. Really doesn't impact Bogut unless Golden State decide they need to offload his huge contract. Doubt they will given they need him when they play teams with dominate bigs (i.e Marc Gasol, Demarcus Cousins, etc).

Chicago - drafting Bobby Portis really hurts Bairstow given he is now the 6th/7th big guy in the rotation. Also with the coach changing, I can't see this being good for Cam.

Also....Ryan Broekhoff was in training camp with Toronto. With them drafting 2 guards, I can't see this helping his chance at making the roster.

Reply #534503 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Yeah i see the above points.

I just think scoring wise the game is very guard/perimeter heavy at the moment.

The days of giving it to your C and allowing him to go to work are dwindling. Funnily enough, this seems to be replicated at junior level - how many kids struggle to make an entry pass/simply don't do it.

C'S are very valuable don't get me wrong, but my own opinion is that piece Centres are the way to go i.e. great role playing C's who support very well. Look at all recent ship team and each had C's who were great as a supportive cast - Bogut (normally was), Splitter, Anderson (?), Chandler, Bynum.

Just personal opinion but i believe in drafting a great piece C like Chandler (absolutely love that guy) and go with stud perimeter players.

Reply #534504 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A great player is a great player, a talented one will always still be that, a talent. It matters less what position we try to pigeon hole a player, these days they are getting more flexible and just as talented as previous decades.

The game evolves, along with this evolution players and coaches do so as well. Officials will also have an effect of this evolution and let's face it we are seeing more athletic types than ever, so no need to try and narrow down what it is we are seeing.

No need to call it 'small ball' or anything other than just the way the game goes one season to the next. Five positions on the court and all are important, if your 5 play better, you win (usually).

End of story!

Reply #534526 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#503, agree with all your evals.

I actually think that as much as Dante was pretty unimpressive this season, the Jazz seem comfortable with him as their starting PG going forward. It's not hard to see why, when you look at his length and passing ability and the pieces around him. If the biggest knock is a lack of aggression, at least he's playing with a ton of guys who can score. Lyles played the 3 at Kentucky, which wouldn't be great news for Ingles but yes, general consensus is that he played out of position and is really a PF.

Bairstow easily the worst off of the Aussies after the draft. Hard to see him sticking with the Bulls after that pick.

Reply #534531 | Report this post

Anonz  
Years ago

Speaking of undrafted, how does Christian Wood go undrafted? UNLV 6'10 mobile PF who has massive potential, and let's be honest, most 2nd round picks are projects. Put up a bunch of strong double-doubles last NCAA season with fluctuating minutes

Also a bit disappointed that Orl took Hezonja, when they're trying to build a defense-first mentality, into which Justise Winslow would fit perfectly. WTF Skiles?

Here's a prediction, Justise Winslow will end up being the best player out of this draft. He IS that good.

And Tyus Jones going to Minnesota is a good pick up. Jones is an old school PG with good size and no fear. I'd say with La Vine improving and Jones to back him up, Rubio is now for sale.

All in all I think Minnesota did well out of the draft, and I think Anthony Bennett also just went on the 'For Sale' block (yeah, good luck getting rid of him).

Portland are about to implode, with Batum off to Charlotte, LaMarcus wanting to go home to Texas and Wesley out until mid-season.

This is going to be a very interesting off-season, which the Knicks will make a mess of, again.

Reply #534539 | Report this post

Anonz  
Years ago

Agree with Bear on this point, there is a trend towards more athletic bigs who can preferably shoot, especially the 4. Nowadays, if a PF can't shoot or guard mobile PFs like Draymond Green etc then they're relegated to role status.

Porzanigis, when he finds where the Gym is located, will be a strong player for a long time.

Think taller Nikola Mirotic.

Reply #534549 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm not a Knicks fan but I would think their beef would be why didn't they draft an NBA ready player.

They're saying this pick is for next 3 to 5 years. Why sign melo to a big deal then pick someone that isn't part of the "win now".

Reply #534569 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Surprised one Harrison didn't get drafted. May work out better for him as he will get TC invites and could elect which team to go to.

Was also surprised Booker went so high. I understand he is young but I see him as a bit of a one-dimensionally skilled player. Time is on his side but I didn't see a secondary skill when he played for UK.

Russell is an absolute stud. His college stats are mighty impressive.

Reply #534571 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anonz, I love Winslow, too, but I think best player in the draft is a stretch. There were huge chunks of Duke's season where he looked like the best player on the team. But he's 6'4.5" in socks, his 2pt FG% was abysmal, and he shot free throws relatively poorly. I think his ceiling is probably more like Jimmy Butler than Kawhi Leonard.

Reply #534575 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

What's wrong with Butler?

You could argue he is the best player on that Bulls team. Perhaps one of the next best players in the East not named Lebron.

Reply #534579 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

I really like Winslow as well, however best player in the draft seems a little ridiculous to me. Although time will tell, I see him being more of a Trevor Ariza type guy.

Reply #534582 | Report this post

Cherry Picker  
Years ago

I think the Lakers already have a commitment from a free agent big so that's why they took Russell over Okafur.
And I think it's a perfect pick for the 76ers as well, Noels defence will make up for Okafurs and vice versa on offence. Embiid could be going the way of a Walton, Ilgauskas, etc in terms of injury prone bigs with foot problems. Maybe they can exchange him with someone at start of their own rebuild for a good piece. If they could have organized a package and got Mudiaay then they would have been the new thunder. I can see Jordan swapping locker rooms from the Clippers as most likely.
And I think Kaminsky is doomed due to the Jordan front office curse. Apparently the celtics were willing to give up a mega deal of picks to move up for the hornets pick, even Ainge is relieved now it didn't happen.
As for Winslow, I think best case scenario would be a Ginobli, which is pretty good but not a franchise player.
ROY will be an open race I think.

Reply #534590 | Report this post

Nix65  
Years ago

Bear - the NCAA Div 1 final was won by Tyus Jones - he is a stretch six footer.
The game is changing - it is moving towards players who can score from the perimeter. Go back to the good old days and you would never ever see a D'Angelo Russell picked before an Okafor. And there is no way Rusell is 6 feet 5 inches tall.
The three point line has taken away the emphasis from height. If you can shoot the ball they want you now.

Reply #534699 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Well, @Nix65 I will agree with one thing there and that is that the game is changing, it is always changing and I guess it always will...

However, one thing that doesn't chyange is that teams will always be looking for a player who can help the team win and if that means a shooter then that is what the coach will be after.

I don't think we will see 5 shooting guards on the floor any time soon, but you never know do you??

Reply #534754 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

By the way, why are you just repeating a previous post?

Reply #534758 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Macdub, I definitely think Butler has a case for best player on the Bulls and one of the best in the East. But the Bulls this season show the limitations of a team with Butler as the best player. And that's where I'd draw the comparison to Winslow. Can't see winning a championship with Winslow as your best player, whereas I think it's possible with Kawhi (not right now but in a couple of years).

Reply #534759 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

I agree with Butler and Winslow, but if they are your 2nd or 3rd best player you would be a really strong team. (Winslow in a few years if he develops to somewhere around Butler/Deng level which im backing him to do.)

Both are very nice players.

Winslow was a steal for the Heat.

Reply #534766 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:45 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754