Baller#3
Years ago

World Cup 2019 - Qualification

I was just having a read through the new qualification system and I must say I can't wait to see more games played here against other teams. My one problem with this system is the NBA. For this system to be truly great there needs to be some level of co-operation between the NBA and FIBA. I cannot see this happening, unless the players take a stand.

Why don't the players band together and tell the NBA that they want to represent their country during these qualification windows. There is only 3 windows during the NBA season with 1 being in the finals. The players should try and get an allowance for playing in the November and February windows, with the June window practically not effecting anyone unless they are in the finals. Surely a couple weeks off during the early stages of the season Wouldn't hurt too much, and the February window could be allocated quite easily along side the all star weekend, perhaps even replacing the all star game with a USA vs ??? Blockbuster.

There are heaps of ways the NBA and fiba can make it work, and quite possibly benefit the NBA in the long run. Perhaps start the season at the beginning of October to cater for these periods.
October - November: NBA season
Beginning of November: QUAL 1
Mid November - Feb: NBA season
Beginning Febraury: QUAL 2
mid feb - mid June: NBA to completion.
June: QUAL 3

Instead of a single all star weekend look to stage 2 USA games during these periods. then in years without qualification periods look to continue the all star game.

players take a stand!!!!

Topic #37353 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Wouldn't surprise me if it's the player's decision as much as it is the club that's paying them. They would be wanting to minimise wear and tear, maximise their contracts, etc.

Reply #534858 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Agree, when the NBA is the best competition there is, world championships almost take second fiddle. I don't necessarily like it, but in reality it must be a factor.

Reply #534867 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Considering the World Cup is a for-profit tournament, I don't blame the NBA teams for being reluctant to expose their players to the increased risk of injury. Paul George's injury may have been a freak occurrence, but given how grueling the NBA season already is on player's bodies in general, I can't really argue with the NBA owners, despite how much I enjoy watching the World Cup as a fan.

Reply #534893 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The NBA was involved in creating the new calendar, I believe they now have a spot on the FIBA board.

The new set up with the WCs a year before the Olympics and as the main qualifier is perfect for the NBA. The big test will come when they don't Olympic gold at some point and have to play the qualifiers for the WC.

Reply #534894 | Report this post

igotmadskills  
Years ago

not ideal for us but would be logistically easier to play the games in the US and televise.

Reply #534896 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:37 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754