PJ
Years ago

Chris Goulding signs with Melbourne United

Chris Goulding has just confirmed on Twitter that he has signed with United.

Been rumoured for a while but great to see this officially confirmed.

Topic #37354 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Correct me if I'm wrong but the current points rules outs him at a 9. Laughable if true.

Reply #534898 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

*puts

Reply #534899 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'be been meaning to ask this for a while and rather than just making a new topic might just put it across here. All this talk regarding player points - what are the actually salaries or max salaries associated with each player point?

Reply #534904 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

This season shaping up really well particularly if teams such as the Kings and Perth can add imports close to Childress or Ennis standard.

The likes of Khazzouh Ogilvy and Goulding returning and only Madgen departing is a nice change from what has happened in recent seasons.

Reply #534905 | Report this post

Birdman  
Years ago

Motum has also moved on

Reply #534906 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Yes forgot about Motum.

Reply #534907 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"All this talk regarding player points - what are the actually salaries or max salaries associated with each player point?"

There isn't a connection between the two.

Reply #534908 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where has madgen gone?

Reply #534914 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

The point system is a joke. Value is so relative, and there doesn't seem to be a huge amount of consistency with what players get graded at.
Schencher was a 9 or 10 for years, even the last 5 years or so when he's been a just ok bench player. I haven't seen the points for this season, but every year, there's players wildly overrated or underrated.

The discount system really makes a mockery of the perceived 'fairness', the point system is intended for. NZ had Abercrombie as a 1 point for many years. Ingles was a 1 for his entire NBL career. The difference between a team paying market 10 points for a player and another team getting a comparable player for 1 point (ie. Paying for someone who is supposed to play 3 minutes at the end of a blowout) makes the point system completely useless.

Reply #534915 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hendo..Schenscher was a 9-10 point player when he signed with the 36ers. Obviously the length and value of his contract was a bit inflated but that's the clubs fault - not the points system.

Why shouldn't Abercrombie be a 1. He was a rookie when he signed and he has been loyal to that club - I fail to see why that is unfair? They put time & money into developing him and he has rewarded them with loyalty.

Ingles was a 1 because he signed a lengthy initial contract which is fair. At that point in a players career you just never know how good they actually will be despite the talent they show.

Even if Ingles was a player of 10 point value but was playing as a 1 his salary would be that of a 10 still - so provided everyone sticks to the salary cap then it all evens out anyway as I cant see someone of that calibre playing for a 1 point player salary.

I really dont see how the points system is unfair as you state?

Reply #534917 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks for the clarification. Follow up question, what's the total points that can make up a team?

Reply #534918 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wouldn't call it unfair but as time has gone on, the whole system has shown to be poorly thought out with exploitable loopholes all over the place. Transferable loyalty points was the biggest joke of the cap's existence.

Reply #534923 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

I've never been a fan of the points cap. I understand the reasons its in (because the NBL gave up on policing the salary cap), but I think its too restrictive. I feel mid level NBL players, capable of playing good roles are too often left out in the cold as they're generally a 5 or a 6, in favour of a rookie 1 or 3. I understand this helps get young guys into the league, but it doesn't ensure that the best 10 guys are on each team's squad.

With limited places in the NBL as it is (just 64 places for Aussies if all teams use their import spots), its easy to see why people like Shane McDonald havent been willing to sacrifice their off court stability for the NBL

Reply #534928 | Report this post

Choppy Galopy  
Years ago

Point system is pretty third world tbh.

Reply #534954 | Report this post

Anon12  
Years ago

Is the points system and salary cap still in effect with the new NBL management?

Reply #534956 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No, it does not appear the new NBL management is abiding by the salary cap.

Reply #534958 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

I believe the Salary Cap and Player Points System is still in effect although NBL Franchises are able to sign a Marque Player under the current Salary Cap rules.

Reply #534959 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's a bit of a step down.. ACB to the NBL. This guy was fringe NBA a year or so ago, what happened!?

Reply #534960 | Report this post

CB  
Years ago

I'm so excited that he is back - GO MELB UNITED!
Hope we can sign a couple of good imports

Reply #534984 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Scoring was not an issue with United last season. Insipid defence particularly interior D was their problem. Playing Kickert and solving that problem may be mutually exclusive. Is this their current signings?

Tomlinson
Goulding
Blanchfield
Barlow
Kickert

Reply #534986 | Report this post

Social Superstar  
Years ago

booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

i cant wait till his first game at the dome or arena or titanium whatever...i dont remember why we booooo him...but i dont care.
Great player and i cant wait to watch him play and try n get under his skin and throw off his game.

Reply #534987 | Report this post

CB  
Years ago

I think scoring was an issue last season - often the players did not look confident trying to score and they would give it to McRae who esp late in the season was throwing up some terrible shots. And they definitely need a decent centre - Kickert does not play as centre. Looking forward to seeing Tomlinson and Goulding team up again.

Reply #534995 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Seems like he's playing a placeholder season in the NBL trying to rebuild his international stocks? Made a comment today about still hoping for another gig abroad.

Reply #534999 | Report this post

Dman  
Years ago

So Has Conklin signed with Untied yet?

Reply #535003 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Man the NBL is gonna be mighty fine this season!

Reply #535006 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Need a good import Centre who can rebound and defend inside. Gladness would be a good fit

Reply #535017 | Report this post

CB  
Years ago

What's this about Conklin? Yes please - come to United

Reply #535023 | Report this post

PJ  
Years ago

Has anyone heard any more about Stephen Holt? I thought he'd been officially announced as Melbourne United's first import signing but I haven't heard anything about it since.

Does anyone know if he's definitely signed?

Reply #535038 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A Conklin and Kickert front court would give up a lot of points. United almost needs a player who can impact the game without getting a lot of touches as there won't be many touches left. They could look at players like Gladness, Ibekwe, Ater Majok or Hasheem Thabeet

Reply #535046 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:19 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754