Isaac
Years ago

Josh Childress re-signs with the Sydney Kings

Limited info available at this stage. Terms to be announced later.

Topic #37378 | Report this topic

Train  
Years ago

http://www.sydneykings.com/article/id/1bs9kbe6cecy1kiaca5aihjaw

Huge news for the NBL and Kings

Reply #535275 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

A lot of decent signings after a stalled off-season. Clubs showing confidence in the Kestelman plan?

Reply #535276 | Report this post

kobe24  
Years ago

Huge news for the league. Kings will be great this next season, and although I dont think this sort of news is good for the 36ers, its great for the league to have highlight reel types involved as the tv situation is about to be pushed heavily into the Aus market.

Reply #535277 | Report this post

GW8  
Years ago

he's no dellavedova but a nice signing nevertheless

Reply #535280 | Report this post

Cherry Picker  
Years ago

Will he be bringing a mate from nba like they were trying to do at end of season last year?

Reply #535285 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

The J-chillin re-signing is massive for the kings and the league.

Teams often sign "superstar" imports but rarely retain them.

J-Chill is a legit superstar import that could play anywhere, so it's a great step forward that he's chosen to come back.

Reply #535293 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Will he be bringing a mate from nba like they were trying to do at end of season last year?"

That plan was so great except the player suggested never had any intention of coming over.

Reply #535296 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Great news!

Reply #535299 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The NBL is going to be a really tough league.

Reply #535300 | Report this post

Indominous-Rex  
Years ago

This Kings lineup is really starting to shape up. I mean I think Khazzouh and Chill will go together really well. Markovic should be great, ecspicially with Cadee behind him. Whether Jeromie Hill is playing behind Josh Childress or Tom Garlepp (Think it'll be Garlepp) I think that he will work well and help spread the floor with his three point shooting ability. Also Angus Brandt will be able to develop this year, which is exactly what he needs. Now we just have to see which import the kings pick up. I hope it's some kind of combo guard who can play both 1 and 2. Also we need a local Aussie guard that is reasonably to play behind the other import. Not SOJ. Some one that can actually do the things that a guard does... like shoot and dribble (Just saying SOJ). Also I don't know who would be good behind Josh Childress. It would have to be some one who isn't expecting a lot minutes, maybe some one from the SEABL would suit that role.
Any ways hears how I think the lineup will look

PG: Markovic/ Cadee
SG: Combo Import Guard/ Local Aussie
SF: Childress/ ?
PF: Garlepp/ Hill
C: Khazzouh/ Brandt

Reply #535301 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I can see a line up of Khazzouh, Hill and Childress at the 3 playing at times. I think Hill has the capacity to quickly move past Garlepp - only time will tell.

Reply #535302 | Report this post

Indominous-Rex  
Years ago

I agree LC, but I still think that Garlepp will start for at least the majority of this season

Reply #535305 | Report this post

Cherry Picker  
Years ago

It might not be the rumored ex all star recruit last season but Childress might know someone he could recruit. If he can sell them on the lifestyle which he seems to love then the kings could be scary with 2 fringe nba players not some rookie straight out of college, a seabl player or a ball dominating import point guard (exception to that Iverson lol)

Reply #535310 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Awesome for the League that Childress is back. As long as they get a solid 2 guard Sydney will be good.

Markovic/Cadee
Import/White?
Childress/Muo?
Garlepp/Hill
Khazzouh/Brandt

Reply #535317 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

More good news for the NBL, halleluiah brother! If only we can get something in the print media or the TV instead of all the footy all the time??

Sorry, I sometimes climb onto a soap box about our lack of media...

Reply #535318 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

this season is shaping up to be a good one.

Reply #535323 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I would expect a budget import at SG. Someone that can hit an open 3 would be nice.

Reply #535326 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Why does it need to be a budget guard. Childress can be signed for marquee money, JK will cost a bit but everyone else on that roster are not big money earners I would think. Should be able to get a top class combo if they do their homework considering it is probably the most bang for your buck position out there.

Reply #535330 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Childress is not "fringe NBA" if two teams are paying him not to play for them.

Reply #535332 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Good news for the Kings and the NBL. He is one of the best imports we have seen for a long time.

Reply #535335 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

White is playing well in the Seabl.

Reply #535337 | Report this post

Indominous-Rex  
Years ago

NO.... NOT WHITE.... NOT AGAIN!

Reply #535340 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Great player, great bloke

Reply #535344 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

I'd be happy with Muo or even U'u to back up Chill, if we can get a gun import SG (I agree that we shouldn't really need to go budget with that import) and a good local back up guard...

Reply #535345 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I'd be happy with Muo or even U'u to back up Chill, if we can get a gun import SG (I agree that we shouldn't really need to go budget with that import) and a good local back up guard...

I think the Cats still have an old pair of Nevill's undies, would you like them too?

Reply #535354 | Report this post

Jumpshot  
Years ago

Need SG now - Rotnei Clarke would be nice.

Someone like YoungAbrecombie to back up JChill.

No White please - too many turn overs and can't shoot. All players stay off him and clog up the lanes.

Reply #535364 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Childress is fringe NBA if he has veterans camp offers, which he does.

Reply #535365 | Report this post

Whitey  
Years ago

White will be signed by the Kings. He has been amazing for the Chargers.

Reply #535407 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Don't even joke about that...

Reply #535436 | Report this post

Indominous-Rex  
Years ago

White Has been the opposite of amazing, and if the kings don't want to have the same depth problem as they did last year they wont re-sign him. There are so many problems with his game, he can't shoot and looks scared every time he touches the ball. I understand he's great defensively but it's not worth it. If you want to be signed you can't be scared of the ball too.
So white a big no go if you want a championship contending team.

Reply #535444 | Report this post

Indominous-Rex  
Years ago

Also just because you're decent in the SEABL, doesn't mean your NBL quality

Reply #535445 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is that veteran camp offer this year or back in 2013 lol

Reply #535446 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

White even dropped off defensively this last season or two, after he won the team DPOTY award... He was a liability at both ends last season, I don't care if he dropped 50ppg in SEABL, he's had more than his fair amount of chances at NBL level and he's gone wanting... Even as a 10th spot player, a huge no thanks, as no doubt he will need to play more minutes than he should and all the other good recruiting will be for naught...

Reply #535457 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Excellent news for Sydney

Reply #535461 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Kings would be better off with Mr Johnny White!

Reply #535463 | Report this post

Jumpshot  
Years ago

That's right White has not improved in 3 seasons with the Kings.

Let some other local talent have a go.

Reply #535469 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone who says that White is not worth his weight defensively doesn't understand the sport. He does a great job at that end. However, it remains true that he lacks the confidence to be effective on the other end. That is the big trade off. If he's your 9th/10th man purely brought on for defensive hustle (like Delly prior to Kyrie going down), he's perfectly acceptable.

Reply #535473 | Report this post

JWC  
Years ago

I'd only consider White if we can afford an 11 man roster, but would rather put the money into a really effective combo 1-2 guard.

Reply #535485 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Sorry Anon, if he was the same defensive player that he was when he won the team DPOTY, then I would agree with you, and did defend him (semi-pun intended) at the start of last season and the one before, but even at that end he was consistently losing his assignment and just didn't seem to have his head in the game... As a 9/10th spot player, he's done his dash and fresher talent needs to be looked at...

Reply #535526 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Gaaaak.

Reply #535529 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Sorry wrong thread but anyway

Reply #535530 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Yeah, people always wanting to recycle old players for bench roles, but unless he's stepping back from a Euro role, its a backward step for the club. Better to give the role to a young buck, who may step UP when required

Reply #535537 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:13 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754