Anonymous
Years ago

Pistons sign Baynes for 3 years, potentially $20m

Sources told ESPN.com that Baynes has agreed to a three-year deal with the Pistons that will include a player option that allows him to return to free agency after Year 2.

Although the financial specifics weren't immediately known, one source said that the value of the deal could rise as high as $20 million.
Full article

BAYNESY getting paid!!

Topic #37385 | Report this topic

some_fulla  
Years ago

20million over 3 years!!! Wow great for him but overpaid surely!?

Reply #535372 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lol you know free agency is getting out of control when baynes is getting a 3 year 20 mill contract. wouldnt be worth morth than 3 mill per year tops i reckon.

Reply #535375 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Must be significant bonuses for reaching certain levels in particular statistical categories, playing all games, making finals, etc.

Reply #535378 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

They lost Monroe, and probably didn't have any top line bigs knocking on their door. Like real estate, its worth whatever someone is willing to pay!

Reply #535393 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

Pistons don't have many bigs on their roster, so Baynes could finally get some consistent court time to show us how good he is against NBA opponents.

Looks like they are going to play 4 out 1 in around Drummond, but Baynes should be able to a decent amount of time as Drummonds backup and another 5-10 mins playing next to him when they need to go big.

Reply #535394 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This salary cap boom has just obliterated the logic centre of GMs brains

Reply #535406 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac nba contracts aren't really built like nfl contracts with all those bonuses for hitting team and indiviual marks.

Bogut received an extra 1 mil for making the all nba 2nd team although these clauses are pretty rare. I would think he could not play minutes and still get almost all of that money. The player option, rather then team option is handy for him as well. Great work by his agent.

Reply #535408 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I doubt it's that rare. I imagine incentives are frequently put in contracts. They can happen in the NBL too. Finals bonuses and the like are obviously very common.

Reply #535409 | Report this post

Bobby Tables  
Years ago

Big guys are always going to attract a premium price though since they are a rarer commodity.

Anyway, I think people give Baynes less credit than he deserves. If he were a 25mpg guy I reckon he could put up 12/8 pretty consistently.

Reply #535410 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

Bonuses in NBA contracts are pretty rare.

Reply #535411 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Contract incentives might not be rare but they usually don't pay much on top of the contract because they're included in the salary cap for the most part.

Reply #535412 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Quality big men are a scarcity in the NBA right now hence big money being offered to many.

Reserve high-rotation guards are getting offers that are significantly less - but there are plenty of them around.

Reply #535413 | Report this post

Choppy Galopy  
Years ago

Everyone's getting over paid, why not some Aussies. Good on you Baynesy.
He'll do okay with SVG in Detroit.

Reply #535414 | Report this post

Greggo  
Years ago

I believe NBA bonuses are on top of what the contract agreements are, and don't count towards the cap. So if he does get bonuses it will be on top of the $20m

Reply #535424 | Report this post

Orbs  
Years ago

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm

Question 74

It's both. Incentives are categorised as either likely or unlikely. Likely to be achieved count in the cap, unlikely aren't.

Reply #535431 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hopefully someone offers delly more cash...love the Aussies Getting paid as tough league to stick in so gotta make that cash!!

Reply #535434 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

hearing Delly will get between 3 and 5 mil for 3 to 4 seasons from Cavs

Reply #535439 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Mad Cash for Baynester.

Reply #535442 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They've offered him a qualifying offer which is 1.1 for a year. If he turns that down he's playing NBL for a year because no one else him more than that

Reply #535443 | Report this post

Greggo  
Years ago

$1.1m is a bit of a kick in the face for delly. You'd think the way money is being thrown around at the moment they'd offer him $3m per just for loyalty.

Thomas Robinson just got signed from waivers for $1.1m for the nets, whilst Delly just finished starting for the 2nd best team in the world and guarding 'the best player in the world.'

Reply #535449 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

$1.1m is just a qualifying offer to make him a restricted free agent, so that if any other club make an offer Cavs have the right to match that. That's not necessarily the amount he will receive...

Reply #535451 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

I am hearing talk that he might be on 5 or 6 for 3 years.

Reply #535454 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

"Thomas Robinson just got signed from waivers for $1.1m for the nets, whilst Delly just finished starting for the 2nd best team in the world and guarding 'the best player in the world.'

Cavs are in no way the 2cnd best team in the NBA, they were just the best team in a weak conference. Dellavadova started due to injuries not because he was the best man for the job and at no point did Delly guard Lebron so your argument is invalid

Reply #535470 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

Baynes moving because he saw a big drop in minutes at the Spurs due to their drafting a good big?

I would have thought that with Splitter gone and Timmy almost gone, he'd be looking for a much higher profile this season and next by staying. Unless there's issues between him and Pop.

Anyway, brilliant work by his agent to get him so much, and I really hope he uses this opportunity to make great improvements in his game.

Reply #535476 | Report this post

Jono  
Years ago

Well done and we'll earned. We are yet to see the best of the big banga! Sure he's not the most talented and natural basketball mind but the dude can score and he's reasonable on the boards. Defense is the main area he needs to work on, pretty average to be honest ... not overpaid at $20M over 3. When you compare it to some other overpaid drop kicks in the league ...

Reply #535511 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

Stupid and totally unfounded conspiracy theory: Maybe this is where the Taipans are getting all their money to pay Gordie, Wortho and Wilbekin from? Baynesy giving back to Cairns basketball :-)

Reply #535515 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

"Baynes moving because he saw a big drop in minutes at the Spurs due to their drafting a good big?

I would have thought that with Splitter gone and Timmy almost gone, he'd be looking for a much higher profile this season and next by staying. Unless there's issues between him and Pop."

SAS are clearing space for LaMarcus Aldridge. David West has also said he'd come cheap to either them or GSW, which you'd think SAS would have the better chance of signing him (due to the roster spots already filled at GSW).

That, and for a bench warmer to get offered 20 over 3, you sign that before the guy finishes the offer.

Baynes has talent, and a career in the NBA, absolutely. But I don't think you'd have too many teams lining up to offer him that figure. Detroit do have a recent history of throwing big money at players they want though (Meeks, Smith, Jennings, Jackson), so good for him.

Reply #535522 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Someone needs to offer 5 or 6 million before he gets paid that, or he's on the qualifying offer. Absolutely no team wants a player who can't shoot or score to save his life, can't create offense at all, is pretty horrible overall at being the position he plays, and is only in the league because a) he can defend okay, and b) the Cavs can get him for a million when half their team costs the salary cap already and that doesn't include the contract lebron gets. For the love of god stop thinking he's getting paid

Reply #535621 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dave, GWB, I will eat a Matthew dellavedova Jersey someone bought after he had two decent games in a row before they put it at the back of the cupboard after the final four games if he isn't on the qualifying offer next season. No one will offer him anything. 20% from inside the 3 point line is probably worse than either of you two would manage in the nba

Reply #535622 | Report this post

Chi  
Years ago

Don't know if he will be paid much more than the qualifying offer but you don't get trusted to start in the NBA Finals (even as an injury replacement) if you're pretty horrible overall.

Reply #535671 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I would have thought that with Splitter gone and Timmy almost gone, he'd be looking for a much higher profile this season and next by staying. Unless there's issues between him and Pop."

Someone already answered this but yeah the Spurs weren't interested in re-signing Baynes because they're clearing cap space (hence trading Splitter for nothing) to try and fit LaMarcus Aldridge in whilst still able to keep Duncan & Ginobili.

They've already spent $135m in the past couple of days re-signing Kawhi Leonard & Danny Green.

Reply #535678 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Delly would be good with the New Orleans Pelicans backing up jrue holiday (who has injury concerns).

Lobs to The Brow all day.

Reply #535684 | Report this post

Cherry Picker  
Years ago

Teams are probably waiting for the dust to settle on the big name free agent guards before they start offers for backups which is clearly Dellys ceiling. Players like JJ Barrea and Lin got there money when they had their 5 minutes of fame. With their achievements afterwards maybe teams are scared off. And with Lebron apparently a fan the cavs will match anything decent.
As to Baynes I think the pistons are trying to lure and draft players and people from model organisation's since learning from the Josh Smith and Brandon Jennings disasters. When the cap goes up next year 3yrs 20 mill will be peanuts.

Reply #535755 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dellys next contract will have stipulations saying he is not allowed to shoot or throw alley oops. Did no one watch the finals

Reply #535797 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

'one of australias highest paid sportsmen' on tvnews '$26M for 3years'

Reply #535885 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

I'm still not convinced that Detroit was the place to go, no matter how much he was being paid. I haven't seen a lot of improvement since he went there.

Reply #622025 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:01 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754